The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
One of my best friends was part of the choir and she really enjoyed it and enjoyed the concerts etc...but they seem to have a LOT of practises...well only a couple a week, but in the winter on dark, cold nights the last thing you want unless you're really dedicated is to trek across campus for choir practise...so make sure it's something you're defo happy to give up your time to do :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
There are absoloutly loads of musical things to do at Notts!

For all you choir and orchestral needs there is Mussoc. They run two full orchestras which are both auditioned and a string orchestra which is unauditioned. Mussoc also run an auditioned chamber choir, and an unauditioned mixed choir and female choir. There are some other ensembles which are more obscure...

Blowsoc looks after all the wind, brass and percussion players. They run an auditioned wind orchestra and big band. There are also many unauditioned ensembles which are; Brass Ensemble, Flute Choir, Clarinet Ensemble, Saxophone Ensemble, Double Reed Ensemble. A couple of times a year all of the unauditioned groups joing together to form a massive wind band.

Blowsoc and Mussoc also run tours in the Easter holidays for their members which are awesome fun!

Generally speaking auditioned ensembles are grade 8+ but obviously some instruments are more competitive than others. Unauditioned ensembles are for absoloutly everyone!

Other singing opportunities are musicality, gospel choir, gilbert and sullivan and probably a few more... These are all seperate societies.

Have a look at www.mussoc.org.uk and www.blowsoc.co.uk and http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/studentgroups/societies/ for other societies.

(By the way i'm on the blowsoc committee which is why i know so much...)
blone_bomb
There are absoloutly loads of musical things to do at Notts!

For all you choir and orchestral needs there is Mussoc. They run two full orchestras which are both auditioned and a string orchestra which is unauditioned. Mussoc also run an auditioned chamber choir, and an unauditioned mixed choir and female choir. There are some other ensembles which are more obscure...

Blowsoc looks after all the wind, brass and percussion players. They run an auditioned wind orchestra and big band. There are also many unauditioned ensembles which are; Brass Ensemble, Flute Choir, Clarinet Ensemble, Saxophone Ensemble, Double Reed Ensemble. A couple of times a year all of the unauditioned groups joing together to form a massive wind band.

Blowsoc and Mussoc also run tours in the Easter holidays for their members which are awesome fun!

Generally speaking auditioned ensembles are grade 8+ but obviously some instruments are more competitive than others. Unauditioned ensembles are for absoloutly everyone!

Other singing opportunities are musicality, gospel choir, gilbert and sullivan and probably a few more... These are all seperate societies.

Have a look at www.mussoc.org.uk and www.blowsoc.co.uk and http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/studentgroups/societies/ for other societies.

(By the way i'm on the blowsoc committee which is why i know so much...)

Thanks for that - it's great to hear from people who have first-hand info :smile:
Reply 4
I've been to the shows for G&S and Revival Gospel Choir for the past 2 years, and the most recent Musicality one "Into The Woods" and thought it was amazing - if I had the time and voice I'd love to be involved in it, but I'm already involved in two other societies so haven't had the chance to. If you get a chance I don't think you'd regret joining something.

Latest

Trending

Trending