The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
LDVet
Glad to hear it. :biggrin:
More Dick vets, yes!
Haha it's probably a bad thing that I sleep so soundly, I never hear alarms.
I have a cockatiel in my bedroom as well which likes to chirp at me in the mornings. She's so sweet. :smile:

Awww! I can switch off alarms in my sleep! That's probably not a good thing though! I only have a cat that bothers me occasionally... He, is no longer welcome as last time he came to my room he left a tick on my Bio h/w! :eyeball: I put frontline on him the week before as well, I think it was a tick he had picked up but it hadn't bitten him yet...

xxx
Reply 81
My cats never come in with ticks, only with leaves and slugs stuck to them haha! One of my cats is absolutely nuts, he collects bottlecaps from beer bottles (from the garage of a neighbour who we eventually found out had a bit of a drinking problem. Do you think my cat was trying to tell us something?) and he comes in covered in either soot or soil or something. He's a white cat so it's really obvious as well. We've had to give him baths with baby shampoo a few times because he's had so much dirt and muck on his fur.
((And strangely enough, he wasn't bothered)).
My cockatiel likes to fly up onto my top shelves and rip up paper that I've left there for him (he used to take it out on books but the paper seems to divert his attention). At the moment he's chucking the little paper pieces at me though, so it looks like I have severe dandruff. He looks like he's having a great time though. :biggrin:

Ahh, I love talking about my pets. You can tell, right? :laughing:
Most other people I know just aren't interested. Actually, about 80% of the people in my class at school hate cats. Madness!
How are your classmates with animals? xD
Reply 82
LDVet
My cats never come in with ticks, only with leaves and slugs stuck to them haha! One of my cats is absolutely nuts, he collects bottlecaps from beer bottles (from the garage of a neighbour who we eventually found out had a bit of a drinking problem. Do you think my cat was trying to tell us something?) and he comes in covered in either soot or soil or something. He's a white cat so it's really obvious as well. We've had to give him baths with baby shampoo a few times because he's had so much dirt and muck on his fur.
((And strangely enough, he wasn't bothered)).
My cockatiel likes to fly up onto my top shelves and rip up paper that I've left there for him (he used to take it out on books but the paper seems to divert his attention). At the moment he's chucking the little paper pieces at me though, so it looks like I have severe dandruff. He looks like he's having a great time though. :biggrin:

Ahh, I love talking about my pets. You can tell, right? :laughing:
Most other people I know just aren't interested. Actually, about 80% of the people in my class at school hate cats. Madness!
How are your classmates with animals? xD

Most of them are comfortable with animals tbh. They sometimes let me divulge in my vetty knowledge! I spent yesterday (supposed to be be doing a chem introduction!) looking up paracites after a classmate asked about her cat with fleas. Then the day before that we had a discussion about my blacks dictionary and what was the first word :yep: Alot of my friends are farmy people so we have discussions about cows and sheep. I can't think of anyone that doesn't have a pet!

I love talking about pets too! Especially my wee spaniel because she is such a character.

xxx
Reply 83
Aww, your classmates sound really great. Not that mine aren't, but there are about 3/4 people who are interested in animals. 3 of them want to be vets (I'm including myself haha) and the other really wants a horse (although she would pay for full livery, she wouldn't want to look after it herself but loves riding). The rest of the people may have a pet or two, but usually it's because their parents or siblings want one. I can't wait to get to vet school because there will actually be people who might be interested in my animal anecdotes/gibberish. xD

I saw some interesting stuff today about why cats purr. I didn't know that they purred if they were dying or while giving birth (although I did watch a cat giving birth and it was purring; I thought it was quite strange at the time). Apparently it could be some sort of healing mechanism (the frequency of the purr stimulates bone growth etc), as well as a way to reach out/be friendly to something else if it feels threatened. This is probably all wrong but I like the idea. :smile:
Reply 84
LDVet
Aww, your classmates sound really great. Not that mine aren't, but there are about 3/4 people who are interested in animals. 3 of them want to be vets (I'm including myself haha) and the other really wants a horse (although she would pay for full livery, she wouldn't want to look after it herself but loves riding). The rest of the people may have a pet or two, but usually it's because their parents or siblings want one. I can't wait to get to vet school because there will actually be people who might be interested in my animal anecdotes/gibberish. xD

I saw some interesting stuff today about why cats purr. I didn't know that they purred if they were dying or while giving birth (although I did watch a cat giving birth and it was purring; I thought it was quite strange at the time). Apparently it could be some sort of healing mechanism (the frequency of the purr stimulates bone growth etc), as well as a way to reach out/be friendly to something else if it feels threatened. This is probably all wrong but I like the idea. :smile:

That's sounds really interesting! We shall say that is right :yep:

I'm the only vet in my year which is good in a way :biggrin: I'm the first for ages too. I can't wait either (197 days!!! :woo:) It will be really good to meet people who are on common ground!

xxx
Reply 85
I'm pretty sure there was a TV programme about it, but I only heard that it had been shown AFTER it had finished haha. I do find it very interesting. :yep:

197 days, woww.... That seems like such a short time to wait, but at the same time it feels too long.

The vetty people this year are the first vets for about 5 years at least. My careers guidance person said she was overwhelmed because she wasn't helping out with careers when the last vet applied for vet school, and then she had to deal with 3 of us all at once! xD Poor woman, she had no idea what was going on. She thought that it was easier to get into vet school than medical school.

Oh yes, did I mention one of the vetty guys at my school who was giving me grief? I found out he's going to Glasgow. I know it sounds awful but I was pretty chuffed about that. :laughing:
Reply 86
LDVet
I'm pretty sure there was a TV programme about it, but I only heard that it had been shown AFTER it had finished haha. I do find it very interesting. :yep:

197 days, woww.... That seems like such a short time to wait, but at the same time it feels too long.

The vetty people this year are the first vets for about 5 years at least. My careers guidance person said she was overwhelmed because she wasn't helping out with careers when the last vet applied for vet school, and then she had to deal with 3 of us all at once! xD Poor woman, she had no idea what was going on. She thought that it was easier to get into vet school than medical school.

Oh yes, did I mention one of the vetty guys at my school who was giving me grief? I found out he's going to Glasgow. I know it sounds awful but I was pretty chuffed about that. :laughing:

Wow. Yeah you mentioned him. Strangely I'm glad too and I don't know him!

I usually watch programmes on the internet. I don't like being governed by the time it's supposed to be on! I like being flexible :yep:

Where has the other person got a place?

xxx
Reply 87
The other person hasn't chosen yet. He's nicer but he only came to our school this year (his other school didn't do advanced higher chemistry) so I don't really know him that well yet. He's really quiet haha. He's trying to decide between Glasgow and Edinburgh (like me, he didn't want to go to his interviews down south).
Yeah, I'm afraid it would have been highly irritating (for me at least) if we were spending five years with the other guy! It's a shame really.

I'm usually on the internet when I'm doing homework or research for investigations, so I try not to distract myself. But it never works! xD

Did you get a letter for the parent information sessions at Edinburgh? I gave my copy to my dad and he lost it haha, so I no longer have the link for booking the tickets.
Reply 88
LDVet
The other person hasn't chosen yet. He's nicer but he only came to our school this year (his other school didn't do advanced higher chemistry) so I don't really know him that well yet. He's really quiet haha. He's trying to decide between Glasgow and Edinburgh (like me, he didn't want to go to his interviews down south).
Yeah, I'm afraid it would have been highly irritating (for me at least) if we were spending five years with the other guy! It's a shame really.

I'm usually on the internet when I'm doing homework or research for investigations, so I try not to distract myself. But it never works! xD

Did you get a letter for the parent information sessions at Edinburgh? I gave my copy to my dad and he lost it haha, so I no longer have the link for booking the tickets.

No!!! Unless I haven't been told about that!

I'm supposed to be doing some math stuff... And investigations... Hmmm! Later!

xxx
Reply 89
I got it in the post about 2 weeks ago. It's basically about sessions being held all over the country (well, in Edinburgh/London etc) where your parents are told about student finance and what we can expect when we start uni. I'll try to find this letter and maybe I can give you the link instead haha. :biggrin:
Reply 90
Phew, finally found the letter. I'll PM you the link to the booking form if you're interested, with the dates.
It's basically an information session for parents (about student life/finance/etc) with a Q & A session and things.
I think it might just be for people who don't have any siblings who have been to Ed uni. But I'm not sure. xD

Latest

Trending

Trending