The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like every job I've had in the past.

That's life I'm afraid, you may as well get used to it now, and by not complaining put yourself on a good thing with regards to bonuses, pay rises and references.
You've been made a superviser, and under that role your employer is allowed to give you those duties. I personally would love to be promoted at 18, looks great on a CV. Though depends what other commitments you have.
Yeah, they're taking the piss completely.

My advice, tell them that you're not doing it anymore, end of discussion. You'l work what you've been employed to do, but you have no desire to continue with the responsibility of the shop. Making a few mistakes, even opening up a little late, may help with your argument...

Good luck with the job hunting - just try keep hold of your current one long enough befor eyou go though!
hanna118212
I have worked in a local shop for about a year now. At first, I did my contracted hours every week and that was fine. Then my boss left and I ended up getting called in on my days off to cover shifts when staff were sick.

We have a new boss now. He has decided he does not want to cover the shifts for the other supervisors when they are on holiday. There are 4 supervisors for this tiny tiny shop and about six workers including me.

I have recently been made a supervisor (against my will, I have protested so many times) I am an 18 year old girl and don't feel comfortable locking up at night and approaching shoplifters. But I have been forced into this....

They promised I would only have to lock up one night a week,
and now they want me to open up every single Saturday morning. When I am on a shift with another supervisor, I have no more power than a normal shop clerk.

EDIT to add: Oh and about the supervisor bit... Why is it you don't want this responsibility? It looks good and probably improves your skills etc...? I'd wuite like it :smile:

I wrote a letter to my manager explaining I am doing about 20 hours in excess of what my contracted hours are and wish to be taken back down. They did this for a while but it is sneaking back up again.

And today is my day off, a worker hasn't shown up and yet again they call me, put pressure on me and I say yes. I am currently looking for a new job, with no luck as of yet.

I'm just wondering if you think this is something every working person has to go through (getting called in on days off) and if I'm just being lazy or if they are completely taking the P*** out of me because of my helpful nature?

Also, any advice what to do whilst I am looking for a new job?

I'm thinking of it this way, if you were the manager and needed to cover a shift you'd be forced to ring another worker. If one of your workers consistently agrees to work then they are going to feel like that person is reliable. They're not doing anything wrong (unless they're giving you hours that you keep telling them you can't do) but you should take it upon yourself to inform them of what you can and can't do. If you can do the shift (have no studying/plans) then you're making money right? If you have something else you need to be doing then you can say no I had to learn this part about a year ago lol.

Also with the whole giving you more hours than you want... If you get your rota (or hours whatever) and you've been given more hours than you can do then you need to preferably go and see your boss and tell him/her directly that you can't do that amount of hours and get him/her to cut it down while you are there, if not you can ring and ask him/her to do it while you're on the phone. If you carry on accepting the fact that you've been given more hours than you want then they are going to assume that you are capable of doing it. They don't know what you're thinking so you have to tell them :smile: and the sooner the better :smile:
Take a firm stand! Tell them no and refuse to go in on your days off. Just say no and hang up if needs be. You don't have to pick up their ****.

It these hours are outside your contract, then what can they do? seriously I had the same issue with Sainsbury's. Hours crept up and responsibilities increased. Quit in the end due to college work
Future Doc
Take a firm stand! Tell them no and refuse to go in on your days off. Just say no and hang up if needs be. You don't have to pick up their ****.

It these hours are outside your contract, then what can they do? seriously I had the same issue with Sainsbury's. Hours crept up and responsibilities increased. Quit in the end due to college work

hit the nail on the head right there, ur 18 and working there part time, you've agreed to contracted hours so tell them that you wish for these to be honoured, and that all the extra pressure is pretty unfair on you considering all the extra commitments you have i.e. education whereas for other supervisor's this isn't a concern. In short, try and get them to emphathise with you position, and if that doesn't work pull a u turn and just say sorry but i'm standing my ground (firm but fair). Unfortunately if you let people think you're a doormat they'll treat you like one (I've got a pretty cushy job as a football steward, but the same pushovers get stuck at the bottom of a stairwell every match, getting to see nothing, the way things are in real life).
Reply 7
That sucks, basically, and yes they're taking the piss.

My job is quite the opposite.
Reply 8
Phew I think I've replied to everyone. I don't do that usually, I just had some nice feedback with no negative comments or anything, so thanks all!
Reply 9
I've gone/ am going through the same thing atm with my current job.

i started in march 2008 and i swear to you, ive done arounf 300 hours overtime! I have been called into my work place A LOT in the past, when i started they were short on staff so i said yes, that and i needed the money badly.. its been 10 months now and ims till covering for people. Eventhough over time has been banned by the new boss. Ive done shifts such as 10am-8pm and 7am-4pm on a sunday eventhough my contract is only wed/fri and sunday and is normally just a for 4 hours.

I mean im grateful i have a job and stuff, with all the money i made i was able to go to america lol.. but they rely on me TOO much, my supervisor has even phoned me MUM'S MOBILE to ask if i can do overtime.. God knows how he got the number, but i told him to delete it Grrr. Also they phoned/text me asking for overtime while i was in america.. AMERICA! they text me 'Yusuf can you do this shift etcc' i was like wtf LEAVE ME ALONE FOR ONCE!!!

Ive always said yes to overtime but lately i've been saying no as i need time to myself and my driving etc and they make me feel bad for it, they ask 'Why not Yusuf? WHY? Can't you come in just for a bit?' i feel they have grown use to me just saying yes all the time and now that im saying no, they are getting pissed with me. Eurgh.

Im also looking for another job, got an interview on sunday with another store, and hour before my shift at work begins lol. gonna be a mad dash around the city!
Reply 10
hanna118212
Thankyou. Yeah I was wondering just how common it is. I suppose if they can get you to do the work then they will push you for all they can get. Were those jobs in retail by any chance? Just to be a nosy nedge?

Nah... in offices, in a call centre and in factories.
Reply 11
From a managers point of view your contract should have been updated to include a clause for flexibility and additional duties. Because it is a small shop they do need engaged employees, that’s why most business of this type start off family run, because you can exploit the workers. Your well within your rights to ask only to do what is contracted, though sounds like nothing formally has changed since you were employed by the previous boss. Have you signed anything new since this new boss came on the go?

If you have a supervisor job title, then it should come with a higher wage and you should be equal with other supervisors, but at the same time you would be expected to perform the same duties as the other supervisor, which means coming in on your day off and helping out extra.

Basically you need to make a choice, if you want supervisor role then step up. If you don’t, then you need to have a frank discussion with your boss and ask that you be allowed to work the job you were first employed to do.
Your employers might not be taking the piss, it depends on what is said in your contract. I have a clause in mine that says I can be redeployed anywhere in the store and i can have extra duties...if they want trolleys taken in and the trolley guy is off sick they are entitled to tell me to fill in. They don’t though :P

Lastly, feel free to say no to requests.

Is your job safe if you do? Maybe not, the employers is in his rights to restructure.
hanna118212
I haven't signed anything, I've been sort of given a kind of half assed promotion. Basically they promoted me to fill in for when my boss can't be bothered to come in, and also for me to cover the other supervisors holidays.
The supervisors are always on a higher wage no matter when they work. However, if I was on a shift with another supervisor, I would have no power and would have to work as a shop clerk again. I only get paid a supervisor wage when I am on a supervisor shift, however I think the other supervisors get paid thier wage no matter what they are doing?
My contract was 12 hours a week, because I signed it when I was in school, although I'm able to do more hours now I'm on a gap year.

If I say no, I feel as if they will look for excuses to sack me, although they haven't sacked anyone yet, despite the fact one girl pulled 3 sickies in a week. Bad!

How many hours a week are you working now, altogether, on average? It might be a good idea to look up the European Working Time Directive, perhaps...
Keep on being a supervisor, it can be useful for later CVs about previous employments that at least you did that job! When you are offered another job, tell your manager I QUIT! :biggrin: LOLx
Reply 14
hanna118212
Whoa! And I thought I had it bad! Calling your mum, that is excessive! Shouldn't that be kind of....not....legal!? And calling you when you're on holiday that's terrible! Although sucks to them because they rang you when you were in America, so big phone bill for them! :smile:

Yeah its annoying but like lotsa people dont even have jobs, so im counting my blessings lol. The dude has phoned me mum twice, i told him not to and he was like 'oh but you dont pick up your phone'

I DONT CARE, DONT PHONE MY MUM!!!
hahah some of the people who phoned me didnt know i was in america, one of them phoned me around 8am USA time and he was talking along and then 10 mins in im like.. umm u do know im in california right? hahaha. He quickly hung up and then phoned me back using the work phone. lol
Reply 15
psychocustard
How many hours a week are you working now, altogether, on average? It might be a good idea to look up the European Working Time Directive, perhaps...

I very much doubt she is asked to work over 48 hours a week by her employer. Besides you can opt to do it, only comes to light if you refused to come in and got sacked and it then comes up at a tribunal.

Being paid supervisor wages when your the supervisor on call sounds reasonable, as your not expected to perform the duties all the time. You also on a part-time contract and to be honest its rare to be given that responsibility for your hours.

Sounds like you have a problem where you bend easy to peer pressure. If your not happy then you need to say. My boss always chums me up when he needs something done, and I do feel bad if I dont help out, but thats in every job you get.

If you say no enough, the manager will find other solutions to his problems, but he wont bother if your always picking up the slack.
Reply 16
Just do what I do when they ring me, I say 'sorry, I have already made plans to see family/go somewhere out of town/meet a friend I haven't seen in a long time etc. Even if you just said 'sorry, I've planned to sit in my pyjamas all day and watch TV' they still can't make you come in. If its not on your contract then you aren't obliged. It can be difficult to say no so I find it easier just to lie. May not be a 'good' thing to do but I'm doing well in my job.
Reply 17
I hate jeremy kyle...bear baiting much.
Reply 18
hanna118212
Argh call centre, I admire you, I don't think I could take being screamed at all day. So did you do anything to resolve the situation or did you just accept it and then move onto another job?

Just sorta worked with it, little come n go... they want me in extra, they can't complain when I need time off type o thing. Was always glad o the extra cash anyway
hanna118212
Very true, thankyou, I've had pretty good answers on this thread, usually it would be "hey stop moaning and get another job" but at the moment, I can't!
I get called in on my days off, which I feel is kinda wrong, but I suppose if the staff don't turn up then someone has to do it. I'm looking at the moment with no luck, all the jobs have been hoovered up!

I'm not loving my job at the minute, it's quite similar really. I've just had to keep saying no to covering as I just can't bring myself to do that many hours while I need to revise etc. Just do what you can and what you can cope with and just put your foot down and say no when you can't do it anymore :smile: There's nothing wrong with wanting to be helpful and getting a good reputation, just make sure draw a line between that and being taken advantage of :smile: Hope it all works out, whether you sort this job out or find a new one :smile: Times can be hard but you'll always get through it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending