The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yeah I liked it!

What sort of thing did you put, heres a brief outline of what I put:

- Advantages:

The increase in obesity will mean that there will be a general increase in the consumption of snack foods and people suffering from obesity will be more likely to go for her crisps which were low fat and low salt, and the government will promote this. I also said about how her market (premium crisps) was forecasted to increase by 10% more in value then the general crisps market between 2008-2013.

Her decision tree showed a massive potential increase in annual net profit, compared with the £10 k from potatoes.

Can't remember what else I put for advantages, there were not that many.

- Disadvantages:

She has taken on too much being manager of finance, marketing and operations.

They need to improve their HRM objectives for the venture as there isn't much delegation and management has taken on all the work.

The potatoe business was already quite profitable.

I put more, but I can't remember lol.

- Conclusions:

I just said that she should go for it, but ensure that she takes a more decentralized approach to HRM, by delegating some of those responsibilities and hiring someone who is not a family member into management. I think I also said that she might want to branch out in selling the crisps to supermarkets, rather then just grocers..

Which essay question did you choose?

I picked the fashion one (with Zara, Next and Topshop), I just went into detail about how they should offer good customer service, watch the threat of internet fashion shopping, reap the benefits from economies of scale etc.
Reply 2
hmm report - i cud have done better, as for essay - i think i picked the complete wrong question! i chose 3, the one about nike, disney n maccies being socially responsible -- i just rambled on about ethics n mentioned damanging brand name etc. i think that cud possibly be a resit :/
Reply 3
I found it quite a nice paper - report was as above, was able to be nicely linked in to relevant social factors of todays environment.

I chose the last question about Mattel as did a lot of people in my class ( I say a lot, there is 9 of us and 4 or 5 picked it). There was a lot to say and it was the one I could think of the most about off the top of my head, and got it done well and just in time as well.
Reply 4
What did everyone put for the report/essay?

Nico_SU
I chose the last question about Mattel as did a lot of people in my class ( I say a lot, there is 9 of us and 4 or 5 picked it). There was a lot to say and it was the one I could think of the most about off the top of my head, and got it done well and just in time as well.

Which one was that about?
Reply 5
Mattel is a large multi-national company who's brands include Barbie and Fisherprice. They have an estimated production line of 150 brands and an annual revenue of $7bn. In 2007, Mattel discovered that 18 million toys had been affected by a problem with one of the sub contractors in China who had used too much lead paint on the toys. As a result, a massive recall was needed. To what extent was Mattel damaged by the problem?

Might not have been exactly that but that's the general jist.
Reply 6
With the essay section, do you have to go all out on talking about everything you've learned in A2, or is it just a general business question? I'm starting to worry about the fashion one, because I think there was significance in the line "what can they do to protect themselves in the long term", but I just went into detail about what they can do generally e.g. ensuring good customer service/after sales service and branching into into e-commerce.
Reply 7
it was harder than bus 4 for sure
potato farming jus made me laugh. i couldnt think of anything but the potato famine lol

essay questions were so dumb more like unit 3 qustions i ended up doing he one on international expansion, brought in examples of tesco and dyson as well as costa and whsmith which were in the question
Reply 8
i choose the essay question barely anyones done...i did the 2nd one...about nike, mc donalds and disney anda
social responsibilty and stuff loll
just waffled on and on for 4 pages

same goes for the report i just waffled lol

definately resiting that unit again...BUS4 wasnt exactly easy either :frown: so probably will have to resit that too

Latest