The Student Room Group

Current top 5 law schools in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
it's one of the top unis in the UK, not internationally but within the UK it's always in the top 5

to you, yes.
Danny_777
No, the entry standards are lower.

But you're right - its placement really has no meaning as its score is bumped up by the fairly irrelevant SSR.

You're right... :eyeball: That just furthers my point...
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
it's one of the top unis in the UK, not internationally but within the UK it's always in the top 5. It's where the best of the best in the UK population of students apply. The cream of the crop in the UK

Leeds Met is in the top 5 in the UK ?
:troll:
Profesh
Lawz achieved a First at KCL, a Distinction on the BCL, and now desk-jockeys for Skadden Arps; so I daresay he'd know what he's talking about. Though I do think he under-rates Warwick somewhat (and of course, SOAS is omitted).

Sorry, but isn't Lawz at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen and Hamilton?
adilmorrison

Yes, I know :p:. It's a point that I very much agree with.

I was just pointing out your error.
Reply 45
Danny_777
Sorry, but isn't Lawz at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen and Hamilton?

The last I heard, he'd secured a TC at Skadden Arps pending completion of his BCL; although granted, it's been a couple of years since.
Reply 46
adilmorrison

But if two newspapers' tables indicate that King's is better than Durham this year and a professor at Oxford has once said that he suspects king's provides the best undergraduate law course, there must be some rational reasons. no? and plus, a bit of london advantage.
jy9626
But if two newspapers' tables indicate that King's is better than Durham this year and a professor at Oxford has once said that he suspects king's provides the best undergraduate law course, there must be some rational reasons. no? and plus, a bit of london advantage.

I didn't mention Durham. League tables use SSR, and if you look at the league tables, that's the only measure by which King's scores higher than UCL... An Oxford professor's opinion is just that, his opinion... :sigh:
Profesh
The last I heard, he'd secured a TC at Skadden Arps pending completion of his BCL; although granted, it's been a couple of years since.

Actually, Lewisyboy has a TC at SA.

But no, I'm *pretty* sure it was Cleary. But it's clearly just my recollections versus yours, so I guess we'll never know :frown:
Reply 49
adilmorrison
I didn't mention Durham. League tables use SSR, and if you look at the league tables, that's the only measure by which King's scores higher than UCL... An Oxford professor's opinion is just that, his opinion... :sigh:

UCL is better than King's, considering the past law tables + international reputation. But for Durham, personally, if I have to choose between King's and Durham, i'd go for king's, by taking into account, this year's law tables + international rep + london location.
Reply 50
Danny_777
Actually, Lewisyboy has a TC at SA.

But no, I'm *pretty* sure it was Cleary. But it's clearly just my recollections versus yours, so I guess we'll never know :frown:

No; you're right. I must have confused him with Lewisyboy.
jy9626
UCL is better than King's, considering the past law tables + international reputation. But for Durham, personally, if I have to choose between King's and Durham, i'd go for king's, by taking into account, this year's law tables + international rep + london location.

WTF? You would take KCL over Durham based on this year's tables DESPITE the fact that Durham beats KCL in EVERY SINGLE category apart from a fluke Student Satisfaction Rating?

Dude, you're an idiot. Actually LOOK at the table if you're going to base a decision on it as opposed to just blindly following the numbers on the left.

Also, are you citing 'london location' as a personal preference, or are you trying to imply that somehow this gives it an advantage over Durham?
Danny_777
WTF? You would take KCL over Durham based on this year's tables DESPITE the fact that Durham beats KCL in EVERY SINGLE category apart from a fluke Student Satisfaction Rating?

Dude, you're an idiot. Actually LOOK at the table if you're going to base a decision on it as opposed to just blindly following the numbers on the left.

Also, are you citing 'london location' as a personal preference, or are you trying to imply that somehow this gives it an advantage over Durham?

Well maybe he actually wants to go somewhere where people enjoy themselves and are obviously extremely satisfied with the content of their course? (No, I'm not saying people at Durham aren’t satisfied with the content of their course). I think 74% and 89% is too large a gap to be a 'fluke'.

When you consider the fact that in terms of reputation the difference between KCL and Durham is minuscule, I think going on student satisfaction is a very good reason for choosing one university over another.
Reply 53
flugestuge
Wrong.
It matters hugely if you are going to the Bar.
Being from the top 2 gives you a major advantage over those from lesser universities. (Despite the denials by our politically correct resident QC )

I think people are more likely to take the word of an experienced QC over someone like you, with neg rep coming out of their ears. What experience do you have in the bar to come to your bold conclusions?

Going to a top 2 gives you an edge, but not a 'major advantage' as you put it. Yes, it matters somewhat if you are aiming for a top, bookworm set (but still not to the extent that you are portraying). However, the bar also consists of provincial sets and less well-known, yet more lenient London sets. A first from a top ten university with lots of extracurricular experience will hold higher esteem then a 2:1 from Oxbridge.

TSR's QC
I repeat - it doesn't matter.

You aren't thinking straight. Oxbridge are world renowned places. That always gives you an edge.

Everywhere else is respectable - that's the only other category worth noting (the final category is not respectable). We just aren't bothered by the sorts of gradations you are debating now. Speaking personally, I am more interested in whether you have been a part of what distinguishes your law school. Have you mooted? Done your dissertation in the area in which the University excels? Been referred by the main man/woman?

Those things matter. Whether you went to number 4 or number 19 on the list above does not matter to me in the least. If I heard anyone in interview trying to justify choosing them on the basis of being at one of these places rather than another I would instantly reject that person as someone entirely lacking the requisite judgement. How much clearer can I make it?

You should chose based on whether you will enjoy it there, whether there are graduates of your institution who can and will assist you based on what you think you want to do and whether they give you the best offer. End of.

/thread.
Reply 54
Danny_777

Now you're insulting me. Where's your manner?
I've clearly stated 'personally, i'd go for...'.
London location does give one certain level of advantage, if one wants to study law.
I think "National Student Survey" and Student Satisfaction Ratings are valuable, when one has to choose a uni. 'Satisfaction' is important.
Again, two respected newspapers' rankings placed kcl on top of durham.
Going back to how I've stated 'personally, i'd go for...'. I said personally, also because im an international student. People outside UK haven't even heard of Durham, whereas they do know King's (even though they know it as a uni just below ucl usually). Besides, for me, what Oxford professor John Gardner has said is important, because I would like to do my postgraduate at Oxford.
I'd say: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Durham. Followed by KCL, Warwick and Bristol.
Reply 56
necessarily benevolent
I'd say: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Durham. Followed by KCL, Warwick and Bristol.

I don't think warwick's law can be compared to kcl's and bristol's though. However, warwick surely is an excellent uni overall.
Reply 57
jy9626
I don't think warwick's law can be compared to kcl's and bristol's though. However, warwick surely is an excellent uni overall.

How on earth would you know, have you actually studied there and been taught by the professors? Or is it because it comes lower in a poxy league table?
Reply 58
Asteron
How on earth would you know, have you actually studied there and been taught by the professors? Or is it because it comes lower in a poxy league table?

do i have to study at Harvard to know that it's excellent? do i have to study at TVU to know that it's not very good?
Reply 59
jy9626
do i have to study at Harvard to know that it's excellent? do i have to study at TVU to know that it's not very good?

You are using two polar extremes there. Saying that Warwick isn't as good for law as KCL is purely based on a league tables, which is a bigoted way to look at education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending