The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Si_G
Soooo this common room in Owen's park, does it have a bar? And if it does, does that mean you can't bring your own alcohol in there? I'm a fan of the whole drink before you go out thing...and am poor :P

You probobly won't be able to, but the people often drink in each others rooms before going out anyways, and the student hall bars in manchester are cheap (typically around 1.60 for a pint)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I think ive picked crap halls, in terms of bars anyway.
Reply 382
Si_G
Soooo this common room in Owen's park, does it have a bar? And if it does, does that mean you can't bring your own alcohol in there? I'm a fan of the whole drink before you go out thing...and am poor :P

The common rooms wont have bars, but there is a bar in Owens Park. You wouldn't be able to take your own alcohol into OP bar (although, it is cheap in there) but you will be able to take it into the common rooms.
is there a bar in OH or do they use the one in OP?
Reply 384
Est.1989
is there a bar in OH or do they use the one in OP?

yes, there is, but it's ****. OH has the worst bar. Unless you like watching football, you probably won't spend much time in there (except for when they give you free breakfast). OP bar is pretty nice, but I've only ever really been there for BOP.

Hall bars aren't too popular generally in fallowfield, they're ok, but when you live in fallowfield you have so many great bars on your doorstep they just look a bit shabby in comparison.
OP bar tends to be used as a meeting point for many of the AU nights out, most sports clubs will meet there before heading off wherever.
Reply 386
so if you live in fallowfield do you just go out in fallowfield itself or do you ever head to the city centre and the union?
Reply 387
Si_G
so if you live in fallowfield do you just go out in fallowfield itself or do you ever head to the city centre and the union?

you don't go to the union, because no-one goes to the union unless pangaea is on. yes, in fallowfield people go into the city centre a lot. There are lots of great bars in fallowfield, but not really any clubs. Most nights out begin in trof/font in fallowfield and then head into the city. Tarts is basically the only clubby type place, and now the chapel - but they're all small.
OhNO!
yes, there is, but it's ****. OH has the worst bar. Unless you like watching football, you probably won't spend much time in there (except for when they give you free breakfast). OP bar is pretty nice, but I've only ever really been there for BOP.

Hall bars aren't too popular generally in fallowfield, they're ok, but when you live in fallowfield you have so many great bars on your doorstep they just look a bit shabby in comparison.

thanks
Reply 389
Just wondering if anyones lived or knows anyone thats lived in the cosmopolitan student halls Nick Everton house any views?
Reply 390
Hey, I am thinking of taking Richmond>Woolton>Hulme, I would like the hall to be catered and ensuite but since only a few of the halls are catered and only one of them has ensuites I am left with the uncatered ones and catered+standard ones. I am a social person and am planning on studying as well as hanging out with friends several times a week, I am not really a fan of parties 24/7 so I ruled out OH and OP.
I have read this whole thread and found that richmond is like the best place to live at since it has a good social life and the rooms are big. Pretty much the same for woolton, although it is a bit more loud than richmond and then hulmes which is the loudest among the three. Do you think this info is correct? and how hard will it be to get an accomodation here? I have an unconditional offer if that makes any difference.
Reply 391
Hi all,
I am international student and coming to manc in sep 09. I was planning to attend orientation from 15th - 20th sep. But i have been allocated room from 19th . Also i contacted opal gardens and they can not let me move in early .
So it does not make any sense , since the orientation for international starts on 15th but move in date is
17th for some ans 19th for some . What a joke is this !
Reply 392
Btw whats the difference between a privately leased flat and the university owned ones? is the private one more expensive?
Reply 393
Elninoel
Btw whats the difference between a privately leased flat and the university owned ones? is the private one more expensive?

Not always, in fact often cheaper! Privated leased flats are just owned by landlords or rental agencies (such as opal estates) who are not part of the university. They are not really university halls, though can have the same kind of vibe. University owned are the halls of residence, and can be more expensive due to demand mostly.
Elninoel

Private halls are extremely cheap! Im going to be paying £78 p.w. self-catered or £102 catered, but my friend is going into private halls. He is having the best grade of room, for the extravagant price of £74 per week. It looks fantastic, and i would have joined him, but i felt more inclined to go into uni halls- i can talk to him and his gf whenever i want:cool: , but i still fancy making more friends.
Reply 395
kimoso
Not sure if this is the right thread, but if I've applied for all of my choices at Fallowfield, what is the chances I will get fallowfield? I will be so devastated if I don't get to live there :emo:

where in fallowfield have you applied?
Reply 396
kimoso
Oak house, Owens Park and Richmond Hall

Yeeeah, you'll get into fallowfield, probably Oak House if you applied for a room without a basin. You only have a danger or not getting in if you apply for Richmond, Sheavyn and Woolton or something like that. You're gravy :yes:
Reply 397
kimoso
I applied with a basin I think D:

doops. thing is, oak house is the biggest halls (in fallowfield at least), so if you apply you have a good chance of getting in, but the rooms with the basin are only in one court, and that's one of the smallest courts. there's over a thousand people in oak house, but only a couple of hundred in chestnut court - so obviously you're limiting the chance of getting in by applying only to chestnut, basically.

if you really want to be self-catered, e-mail the accommodation office and change your options to 1)oak house with a basin 2) oak house without a basin 3) owens park/richmond/whatever.

that's what I did, and I got my second choice..
Reply 398
OhNO!
doops. thing is, oak house is the biggest halls (in fallowfield at least), so if you apply you have a good chance of getting in, but the rooms with the basin are only in one court, and that's one of the smallest courts. there's over a thousand people in oak house, but only a couple of hundred in chestnut court - so obviously you're limiting the chance of getting in by applying only to chestnut, basically.

if you really want to be self-catered, e-mail the accommodation office and change your options to 1)oak house with a basin 2) oak house without a basin 3) owens park/richmond/whatever.

that's what I did, and I got my second choice..

i applied for room with a basin but didn't get it, i don't really mind
i just wanted to ask, does not having a basin really matter that much? my friends seemed more bothered about it than me, when i told them
Reply 399
Lo-la
i applied for room with a basin but didn't get it, i don't really mind
i just wanted to ask, does not having a basin really matter that much? my friends seemed more bothered about it than me, when i told them

Nope. You're only sharing a bathroom with three other people - and the way the bathroom is laid out, you can still use the sinks if someone is in the shower or whatever. It's fine, and you get a much bigger living room/kitchen area if you live in a non-basin flat.

Latest

Trending

Trending