The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by aankhi
I don't know what's "random" yet..I could be in a place I prefer and still be surrounded by random people who never talk to me..tho' that'd be better than a place I don't prefer with people who never talk to me :-/ :P I would DIE if I have to share a bloody BATHROOM with males :-/ DUDE, wtf!! (being Indian, it just seems even more wtf!!)

that is very unlikey..i say dont worry you need not have to share.. and try to be frnds with your flatma8s.. in general they are the only people you know outside your class friends... so dont worry too much.. i and my gf also hoping for fallowfield acco..drop by :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 981
Original post by aankhi
I don't know what's "random" yet..I could be in a place I prefer and still be surrounded by random people who never talk to me..tho' that'd be better than a place I don't prefer with people who never talk to me :-/ :P I would DIE if I have to share a bloody BATHROOM with males :-/ DUDE, wtf!! (being Indian, it just seems even more wtf!!)

if you are so particular..prefer ensuite..all 3 choices...and chill yaar.. as of what i know u wont be sharing bathroom with a guy..relax :smile:
Reply 982
Original post by aankhi
Okay quick question for people presently living in the uni acco - not all halls have laundry facilities..so where do you do your laundry?

check oak and richmond.. i have read thousands of reviews on these..all say they are gr8..oak has no ensuite but single sex..so you need worry..

regarding laundry..i assume you can wash from the nearby hall or the hall where your admin office is located..that aint an issue. but you can mail and ask them :smile:
Reply 983
Original post by ajeesh.aj
that is very unlikey..i say dont worry you need not have to share.. and try to be frnds with your flatma8s.. in general they are the only people you know outside your class friends... so dont worry too much.. i and my gf also hoping for fallowfield acco..drop by :smile:

I'm very sociable, I don't think that should be much of a prob, actually :P I just get hyper sometimes :P

I'm thinking of putting Ashburne hall under two of my preferences and another Dalton-Ellis..I don't know if that's wise a thing to do, but I hope I get Ashburne..too much noise would drive me MAD!!!

Your girlfriend is studying in UoM? Ah, I'm so jealous! I'm hoping for a long-distance..and we all know how those tend to end :frown:
Reply 984
Original post by aankhi
I'm very sociable, I don't think that should be much of a prob, actually :P I just get hyper sometimes :P

I'm thinking of putting Ashburne hall under two of my preferences and another Dalton-Ellis..I don't know if that's wise a thing to do, but I hope I get Ashburne..too much noise would drive me MAD!!!

Your girlfriend is studying in UoM? Ah, I'm so jealous! I'm hoping for a long-distance..and we all know how those tend to end :frown:

u r in 12th rite? you already have a bf?? :tongue: :P kidding.. yes shes coming there too.. all the best..LDR is damn tough.. but it all depends on how you make it work..luckily only 530hrs of time difference :smile:

i say you fill ashburn, dalton, and some other as third option. once you get the application submitted mail. just mail acco and tell that ashburn is my first preference. please try to allocate that to me as i have applied very early. you can aslo mention which floor you would prefer etc etc.. tell them ensuite room is first priority.. thay will not assure you get ashburn and the floor of your choice..but will keep in their mind..
Reply 985
Original post by bb_girl
Send them an email and they'll tell you your UID. I did the same thing, even if i didn't firm Manchester on Ucas yet because i didn't receive all the responses :smile:

what email address should we use for thisl?
Reply 986
Original post by teshnit

[email protected]
Reply 987
u r in 12th rite? you already have a bf?? :tongue: :P kidding.. yes shes coming there too.. all the best..LDR is damn tough.. but it all depends on how you make it work..luckily only 530hrs of time difference :smile:

i say you fill ashburn, dalton, and some other as third option. once you get the application submitted mail. just mail acco and tell that ashburn is my first preference. please try to allocate that to me as i have applied very early. you can aslo mention which floor you would prefer etc etc.. tell them ensuite room is first priority.. thay will not assure you get ashburn and the floor of your choice..but will keep in their mind..

Ummm..:-/ I'm 18 and an adult..:-/ And, it's not a "modern day relationship", I keep it suiting to my age, if you know what I mean..Well, we have pretty good understanding, we are the best of friends, so that's what I'm banking on :smile: WOW, I'm really happy for you!! :biggrin:
Reply 988
Original post by aankhi
Ummm..:-/ I'm 18 and an adult..:-/ And, it's not a "modern day relationship", I keep it suiting to my age, if you know what I mean..Well, we have pretty good understanding, we are the best of friends, so that's what I'm banking on :smile: WOW, I'm really happy for you!! :biggrin:

all the best...play safe.. :smile:
Reply 989
Original post by teshnit

I got my UID..I mailed [email protected]
Reply 990
Hey guys,

I'm an international student from singapore, possibly, hopefully going to UoM to study Management and Leisure. ^^ ( cross my fingerscos i applied late and UCAS extra hopefully works or something)

I definately want a social life, not a stuck away in some quiet place studying my life away kind of uni life. Fallowfield sounds great so far, mainly oakhouse and richmond.

Just wondering if people there are open to international student who don't mind a good time. Also, i'll be 22 this year, kind of older than the usual.

Not to imply racism or anything, just had a really bad time visitng friends in another part of the world recently and acquired a new slight paranoia :/

still! UoM sounds like a tonne of fun (:

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies! (:
Reply 991
Original post by Phina
Hey guys,

I'm an international student from singapore, possibly, hopefully going to UoM to study Management and Leisure. ^^ ( cross my fingerscos i applied late and UCAS extra hopefully works or something)

I definately want a social life, not a stuck away in some quiet place studying my life away kind of uni life. Fallowfield sounds great so far, mainly oakhouse and richmond.

Just wondering if people there are open to international student who don't mind a good time. Also, i'll be 22 this year, kind of older than the usual.

Not to imply racism or anything, just had a really bad time visitng friends in another part of the world recently and acquired a new slight paranoia :/

still! UoM sounds like a tonne of fun (:

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies! (:

in my opinion in any part of the world, people prefer to roam around with people form their own country...the first thing they do is form a group.. it is upto you to mix with other people...

how welcoming british are??am not sure...someone else should take this question..

how welcoming british are??am not sure...someone else should take this question..

Depends on the international/exchange student. One of our Chinese exchange students tried to get along with us, was interested in all the holidays etc so we included her as much as she let us but one international student in our flat doesn't even bother. Maybe she does and is just shy, but it's hard to do our part if she doesn't try.

Also, you're right about the grouping for the most part, unfortunately.
Reply 993
hmm. thanks guys.

guess if i get this intake i'll put those 2 options and 1 options from city campus.

Yeah i guess it's instinctive to look for familiar ground/surroundings, but i think half the point of studying overseas is to get to know people from other cultures and countries.

any advice on how far it is from fallowfield to the management and leisure classes? i only know it's in the school of education (:
Reply 994
Original post by Phina
hmm. thanks guys.

guess if i get this intake i'll put those 2 options and 1 options from city campus.

Yeah i guess it's instinctive to look for familiar ground/surroundings, but i think half the point of studying overseas is to get to know people from other cultures and countries.

any advice on how far it is from fallowfield to the management and leisure classes? i only know it's in the school of education (:

10mins by bus...depends on traffic
Reply 995
Buses from fallowfield to the uni come like every 30secs and are 80p, a years bus pass is £170 or something they said :smile:
I applied for:

1)Weston Hall-Sgl Ensuite
2)Lambert Hall-Sgl Ensuite
3) Richmond Park-Sgl Ensuite

If I get one of these as a choice i'll be very happy. ^^
opinions on richmond park and sheavyn house? :smile:
Reply 998
^In the accommodation booklet, there is a WONDERFUL photo of a room from Richmond. If all of them look like that, than...thumbs up!!
Hey there!

Basically, I am trying to find the perfect place for me to live in for my first year at UoM. I wont be able to attend the two dates for the Open Days (well one happened today and the other one - I will be in an important meeting) but I will be visitng the Uni in early March. Anyway, would you be able to help me pinpoint the best accommodation for me? I will be studying Economics L102 and as much as possible I would like to be near the rooms that will be used by the Economics department's classes. Another is that the halls of residence that I will be staying in should be 10mins walking distance to supermarkets (ASDA/TESCO). I would like the place I am gonna live in to be quiet (I am a light sleeper) and the place I am gonna live in should have a balance life (work+social) as well. And most importantly, the hall should have a kitchen (I love to cook) and have en-suite (I pee a lot) :biggrin:. Just kidding.

So yeah top musts are (in following order):
Ensuite
Kitchen
Balance Work/Social Life
Close to Supermarket
Close to Economics rooms/classes

Please help me. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending