The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
audria
most of my friends are muslim, in fact here in indonesia everyone seems muslim. but people i know most of them also drinks

Haha because Indonesia has the largest population of muslims.
Reply 81
DesertRain
i dont but i have relatives that do...they say that the verse is intended for the 'light weights' that get drunk after one or two drinks. whatever.

lol nice justification...
Reply 82
Rei
How is it just as bad? :s-smilie:

Erm, in terms of how haram it is in the religion.
-ch1ck-
whats wrong with having onions and garlic?

Don't ask me, I love them.
Moabubaker
A lot of scholars say even smoking is forbidden, and i would agree with that view, because anything which harms the body is considered to be forbidden (Haram) such as Marijuana, Alcohol, Sheesha etc.

"Do not kill yourself. Allah (God) is Merciful unto you." (Surat al-Nisaa' 4:29)

Smoking/Sheesha is just so widespread amongst the Muslim communities that they are NOT ready to accept the fact that it's forbidden.

My point exactly.
Aliaaa
well i know hindus tht dont drink because they are hindu..

i dunno, check on some hindu website

That's like me saying I don't drink because I'm atheist. Hinduism imo is a very fluid religion, more like a philosophy. All these rules and stuff, tbh I don't see much evidence for.
Reply 83
CHAMON
This Sheikh says it's permitted, would the majority disagree?

http://www.buzzvines.com/tiny-amount-alcohol-permissible-islam

No i don't think that's right. I disagree with that.

But having said that alcohol is permitted for example if you have to take a medicine, and a lot of the medicine's nowadays contain alcohol, and if it's a life and death situation, you can take it, because it will cause you harm if you DON'T.
Reply 84
Moabubaker
No i don't think that's right. I disagree with that.

But having said that alcohol is permitted for example if you have to take a medicine, and a lot of the medicine's nowadays contain alcohol, and if it's a life and death situation, you can take it, because it will cause you harm if you DON'T.

That makes sense. But as above, many find excuses to justify drinking and smoking. It's absurd.
Reply 85
We're all young. Stick a valium up your arse. Find God later.
Reply 86
Nope...never have and never will
Reply 87
CHAMON
That makes sense. But as above, many find excuses to justify drinking and smoking. It's absurd.

i dont view them as justifications...they are just excuses. The Quran acknowledges that there is benefit in drinking alcohol but the ill effects out way the benefits, and thats why its prohibited. So to then justify it with 'im a hard man that can take drink, so it doesnt apply to me' doesnt really sit well with moi.

However, i have a different opinion on smoking......
Reply 88
Ibn al-Khattab
Whilst performing the obligation of al-Hajj purifies a Muslims past sins, such a Muslim's intentions are the most important aspect of his redemption.

The Prophet (pbuh) stated that actions are rewarded by intentions. Those who outwardly espouse Islam but inwardly have no desire for the Akhi'rah are Munafiqs and theirs is a terrible ending.

Thus, simply performing al-Hajj for sake of removing ones sins and not for the sake of Allah (azza'wajjal) is of no benefit.

True. It's the niyyah [intention] that counts.
Reply 89
damn 5 pages......let me read all that
Reply 90
hmm not me :biggrin: and im glad and proud h8 those who do though ! :angry:
Reply 91
Yep.
Reply 92
Lol why ? :confused:

There probably are some that do since we are all humans with free will..who cares ? :rolleyes:
Reply 93
BTW,anything that harms the body is forbidden...so smoking is forbidden etc .
Haz313
Not as rare as you might think lol

agreed

a few of my mates from uni, they are muslims and do drink, they havent admitted it properly, they always change the topic if asked.

it all depends on the individual and whether they follow islam strictly or not

And id never try it, and never have, dispite being told to try it and having a glass near my nose, i never tried it. its something that i automatically reject
-ch1ck-
call me naive (is that how you spell it lol) but i heard that sheesha wasn't bad for you, isn't it just herbal stuff... not actual tobacco?

i'v only tried it once when i went to dubai but i nearly choked (obviously didnt do it properly) so iv not done it again. my cousins down south do it quite often, it seems to be 'cool' :rolleyes:

a week ago i heard shisha is halal and if i remember correctly sunnat :s-smilie: im not sure how, and from who i heard that.. correct me if wrong.

But i know plenty of people who do shisha as well, its really common down here in the south east

and heey chick :p: long time no chat! where have you been hiding from the ODC :shifty: :eyeball:
I haven't and I don't think I ever will. It just isn't something that appeals to me.
However I don't think you can say that Muslims that drink can not call themselves Muslims anymore. That's like saying a Muslim that has a girlfriend is no longer a Muslim, or anyone who has ever sinned can not be a Muslim.
Reply 97
gbp1
its well documented that although muslims ban alcohol they are in fact heavey drinkers, look at bradford for example, full of drunks in hijab

hahaahah, I have never come across a muslim girl wearing a headscarf and being drunk:eek: hahaahahahah:smile:. I certainly have not and will not. Well a muslim who drinks will not be regarded as a muslim anymore, as your harming yourself.
Hibz123
hahaahah, I have never come across a muslim girl wearing a headscarf and being drunk:eek: hahaahahahah:smile:. I certainly have not and will not

LMAOOO!! :p: ditto, never seen a hijabi drunk...
Reply 99
i_<3_you
LMAOOO!! :p: ditto, never seen a hijabi drunk...

How weird would that be!. I think in Islam it is not that common for people to consume alcohol , so that's probably why it's so rare for practising muslims anyway:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending