The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well. It's not amazing, no. But a degree is a degree, wherever you go! Make of it what you can! :smile:
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Reply 2
sazzle7
Well. It's not amazing, no. But a degree is a degree, wherever you go! Make of it what you can! :smile:

out of 10 how is good is it? If it's any lower than a 7 then I ain't applying lol
Reply 3
The Times ranks it 96th in the country overall. But it'll vary with the course you want to take, and what kind of university you want to go to.
Reply 4
spaceman5000
out of 10 how is good is it? If it's any lower than a 7 then I ain't applying lol

Umm.. I don't know if I can give it a mark out or 10 really! :confused: What are you thinking of applying for, and what are your predicted grades?
Reply 5
It's good for teaching, I know that much, I dont know much about anything else.
Reply 6
It's not really very good for academic subjects. It's basically the equivalent of a polytechnic.
Reply 7
Cowtipper
It's not really very good for academic subjects. It's basically the equivalent of a polytechnic.

There are no polytechnics anymore and it's not really the equivalent. Anyway, the former polytechnics can also be strong in academic subjects (law, english, history...)

It offers a range of programmes that traditional unis don't (not just degrees but also Foundation degrees and various health related qualifications). Whether it's "good" or not is subjective. It's no ancient or redbrick (but then it doesn't pretend to be, it has its own identity) but does have a strong teaching profile, I believe.

Moved to the Northern Unis forum from Choosing a Uni. Choosing a Uni is for comparing social list and quality of living between two or more unis.
Reply 8
Well I went there for a "interview" and the campus seemed nice enough. lots of good facilities and there building new buildings for business at the moment
The area its in isnt GREAT theres not really much there...but its a 20 minute train ride from liverpool. OP i'd say you should go look at it. it really depends what you want to do there.
in one word NO!!!!!!!!!:eek3:
if you haven't applied yet RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!
Reply 10
can someone tell me what is so bad about edge hill cus i have applyed n from all the ones i have seen this is my fav i have applyed for english lit i just wanna no if its a boring place or not ?
Reply 11
keekee87
can someone tell me what is so bad about edge hill cus i have applyed n from all the ones i have seen this is my fav i have applyed for english lit i just wanna no if its a boring place or not ?

I did English Literature modules in my first year at edge hill and i thought it was great. Uni's what you make of it, and anyway, university is mostly about independant study, so if you're willing to work hard, you'll be fine where ever you go.
I am biased though because Edge Hills amazing =)
Reply 12
what are you hoping to study? because it has its areas of expertise, and really isnt as bad as people make out.
Reply 13
Its good, we get none means tested blackwel giftcard with £200 on when paying full fee's for tuition, which you do spend on books, Its out of the way of a major city, which swung it for my parents because you feel safe, it really is a nice place to learn; really pretty and the nightlife in Ormskirk really is quite good for a market town and the SU Is really good compleate with nightclub bit. Ormskirk is classed as a student ecconomy so we do get quite cheap deals at one place or another most nights.

The Teachng courses there are amazing, and alot of students do go there for that all coming with QTS, But you can go into only FOA/S halls; if you can stand living in a former Psychiatric Hospital for a Year (Its fun; really, you'll never want to watch Gothica again though.). I live in Halls with Mainly teaching students in the main building.

Everyone from Teaching to Media students really love it there, and it has a high level of Sudent satisfaction.
Reply 14
im really excited to start just heard a few people slagging it off but you guys have made me feel better about it lol thanks x
Reply 15
keekee87
im really excited to start just heard a few people slagging it off but you guys have made me feel better about it lol thanks x

The blackwells card is fantastc. :smile:
Reply 16
Some members of my family went there and some of my friends from college and they all didn't have good experiences!. I personally didn't apply because of its bad reputation ,awful nightlife around Ormskirk, however the campus seemed to be quite nice when getting shown round, i went to a Russel Group uni and think it was the best choice! :biggrin:
Original post by spaceman5000
I had an idea of going to Edge Hill univesity when I eventually get to that stage BUT I have been told that it's not very good? Can somebody who goes there or knows about it tell me if it is any good?

Ps: no offence to anyone who goes to or is going to Edge Hill

Hi, did you went to edge hill? I got the same problem now
Can somebody who goes there or knows about it tell me if it is any good or not good?
I really want to know more. Thank you.
Original post by SmilePeace
Can somebody who goes there or knows about it tell me if it is any good or not good?
I really want to know more. Thank you.

Hi!

I recently did my masters degree there. I had a very good experience. I did computing and felt like the resources I needed (i.e. computers with appropriate software) were readily available. Some of the teaching staff were fantastic and very supportive, as well as stimulating academically. They offered a lot of opportunities for career development, including careers fair and a dedicated careers team.

I can't comment on the nightlife as I didn't really take part in that. It is in a fairly quiet town in the north west of England though. A city campus like Liverpool or Manchester would give you a much better live out and social experience, if that's important to you.

The biggest issue is parking though, if you're planning to drive. You need to get there before 8am or you won't get a spot! You can usually get one after 1pm with no real issues though. It's only if you have morning lectures.

Overall, I would definitely recommend it!

Latest

Trending

Trending