The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sixbo
Speakin of goin to america, im thinkin of goin over to america to do one of the youth camp things in the summer, seems my parents have decided i don need any more holidays with them! any1 ever done it before? is it worth it?

Would it not get to you being the only British one there? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
F1 fanatic

lol, no, iv always kinda bin an odd one out, despite bein wit ppl i know well. :biggrin:
Reply 3
i really wanted to do it last year, but i was only 17, too young
Reply 4
F1 fanatic
You probably wouldn't be the only British one. Most camps who take international counselors aren't only looking for one. I work at a camp here in the summers and the staff is about 60 total, about 1/3 internationals, with most of them being British.
Reply 5
I wanted to go to Camp America But I was a few months to young :frown: It looks awsome though :biggrin:
Reply 6
Sparkey
I wanted to go to Camp America But I was a few months to young :frown: It looks awsome though :biggrin:

temilola
i really wanted to do it last year, but i was only 17, too young

hey sparky and temilola, can you go this yr? are you 18 by the 5th of june??
Reply 7
Sixbo
hey sparky, can you go this yr? are you 18 by the 5th of june??

Nope, 18 on the 27th of August. I was gutted :frown:
Reply 8
sh*t bin tryin to find sum1 2 go wit, but no1 in my schools up for it in my yr!
Reply 9
I love the name. America finally admitting their sexuality.
Reply 10
glance
I love the name. America finally admitting their sexuality.

:rofl: LOL!
Reply 11
Sixbo
sh*t bin tryin to find sum1 2 go wit, but no1 in my schools up for it in my yr!

Nobody wanted to go with me when I first wanted to go (Before i found out I was too Young) But there will probably lots of people on thier own there so you won't be the only one if you don't find someone to go with :cool:
Reply 12
Sparkey
Nobody wanted to go with me when I first wanted to go (Before i found out I was too Young) But there will probably lots of people on thier own there so you won't be the only one if you don't find someone to go with :cool:

yeh, should be cool, gota start harrassin my parents for some money now then :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 13
Sixbo
yeh, should be cool, gota start harrassin my parents for some money now then :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It's pricey, but worth it for the experience :biggrin:
Reply 14
Sparkey
It's pricey, but worth it for the experience :biggrin:

although it is cheaper than a holiday out there would be, and they give you some pocket money!!
I'd advise going with Bunac, simply because they charge a lot less then Camp America and you actually earn a better wage. Also, bunac are really supportive and helpful with documentation etc.
You can still have interviews up un til April, and you go from June-Aug/Sept. www.bunac.org and it's summer camp usa.
You can be under 18 (i.e 17, as long as you turn 18 soon), but need good experience with working with children. I'm going to Virginia for 3 1/2 months teaching kayaking can't wait!!!
Reply 16
Specialheffa
I'd advise going with Bunac, simply because they charge a lot less then Camp America and you actually earn a better wage. Also, bunac are really supportive and helpful with documentation etc.
You can still have interviews up un til April, and you go from June-Aug/Sept. www.bunac.org and it's summer camp usa.
You can be under 18 (i.e 17, as long as you turn 18 soon), but need good experience with working with children. I'm going to Virginia for 3 1/2 months teaching kayaking can't wait!!!

cool, il look it up, but what if you dont have experience wit kids, but you are over 18? ive only done baby sittin, plenty of family of all ages and a son but i think il need more than that :frown: an i aint too bothered about the wage, long as they put me up and feed me il be fine.
Reply 17
Sixbo
although it is cheaper than a holiday out there would be, and they give you some pocket money!!

:biggrin: What more could you want?! :smile:
I think you might, you also need to be able to teach something even at a beginners level, there is a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng list of activities. But yes any of these camps will need experience with kids, i'm afraid. But it's still worth going for, or even ring them up, explain and ask whether you still should attend an interview.
Reply 19
Specialheffa
I think you might, you also need to be able to teach something even at a beginners level, there is a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng list of activities. But yes any of these camps will need experience with kids, i'm afraid. But it's still worth going for, or even ring them up, explain and ask whether you still should attend an interview.

yeh, sounds like fun, hmm, nah, no teaching things, but im a good listener and im up for anything. yeh, il probs ring em up sumtime. thanx.

Latest