The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
And just to throw the other alternatives out there, you could try looking at CCUSA, another very similar organisation. You don't have to go to America either, they send councillors all over the world
Reply 21
ditzy blonde
And just to throw the other alternatives out there, you could try looking at CCUSA, another very similar organisation. You don't have to go to America either, they send councillors all over the world

il have a look, but ive always wanted to go to america, itd be really cool if i cud. thanx :smile:
If you do camp america with BUNAC you get paid a bit more money.
Reply 23
dragonflying
If you do camp america with BUNAC you get paid a bit more money.

have you done a camp with BUNAC? the money dont bother me, i dont need money, i jus wana have a good time.
I have applied through BUNAC for this summer, its exactly the same as camp america, just a different recruiter. But if you can 200 dollars more for the same thing, you might as well go for the option where you get more money. I think anyone would be mad to apply if they were doing it for the money, it definatetly an experience related attraction. What kind of camp's have any of you guys applied to go, i put private, girl guide and religous affiliated (although maybe starting to regret that now).
Reply 25
well i can live on 200 gbp for a 9 weeks if someone pays for my room and bord so why worry about how much more or less they give you. i wud rather go for the one that looks more fun/organised/better presented, than the one that gives you more money than another for doing the same thing. im gona put private, underprivilaged, thinking of special needs too.
dragonflying
I have applied through BUNAC for this summer, its exactly the same as camp america, just a different recruiter. But if you can 200 dollars more for the same thing, you might as well go for the option where you get more money. I think anyone would be mad to apply if they were doing it for the money, it definatetly an experience related attraction. What kind of camp's have any of you guys applied to go, i put private, girl guide and religous affiliated (although maybe starting to regret that now).

I got my camp through in Jan - I am going to Camp Friendship in Virginia! It looks stunning!
I've applied for Camp America this year :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: - I'm so exited! I'm just really, really looking forward to working outdoors in the sunshine everyday for 3months doing exactly what I love! (Martial Arts, Scuba Diving, Rollerblading and Swimming :biggrin:)

I've got a place on a Lifeguarding course too, starting tomorrow! and guess what happens on Friday last? Yep - I got a horrible cough/cold. I've been desperately trying to get rid of it since. If I pass the lifeguarding course I will get a definate place in Camp :biggrin: (plus a little more pocket money).
Reply 28
I wouldn't go with Camp America - they charge you more and you get paid less... i'm thinking about doing it with bunac or ccusa...can't quite make up my mind yet! Obviously it's not about the money, but i can't understand why camp america charge so much more when u get the same service from the others. I'm looking into camps at teh moment and getting in touch with a few myself. I'm looking forward to it, but just can't decide who to go with! i have an interview with bunac on 20th march, but been chatting to someone from ccusa on another msg board who's really nice and is tempting me to go with them!!! Decisions, decisions!
I've applied to BUNAC this summer also; however, not to deal with the kids as directly - I'm more hoping to get a position in amongst the office staff - it pays more than the councellors too.
Reply 30
I just got news back from Camp America this week, I'm going to Camp Fuller to teach sailing. I didn't really do my research properly or I would have gone with one of the other organisations like bunac for more money, but I'm not doing it for the money...just for the experience!
emma870
I just got news back from Camp America this week, I'm going to Camp Fuller to teach sailing. I didn't really do my research properly or I would have gone with one of the other organisations like bunac for more money, but I'm not doing it for the money...just for the experience!

That's exactly it! I would pay for the experience and fun I hope to have!!
Reply 32
Yeah, totally, but it seems a bit odd that some companies charge a lot more for the same service and take more of your wages at the end of it! But I guess as long as they're a reputable company then it'll be fine! I've got my interview with CCUSA on sunday...i'm a bit nervous! But can't wait to go to camp! Bring it on!!
Yea it's just different company policies. Apart from the money factor, BUNAC are really helpful and easy to work with; the process of visa acquisition could be difficult but you just trust and are reassure by them.

Good luck! You'll be fine! Are you going for a counsellor/teaching position?
Reply 34
over the last summer my family went to family camp(couldnt afford counceling, haha) and all the councelors there were from this thing and they had a lot of fun! there were people from new zealand, quebec, lots from the uk, i think frace too, i cant remember, i was there for like 4 days. but they were about to all leave and they were all enjoying themselves to what it looked like! they got to go into town a lot.
Reply 35
I hate ALL you guys who are going to work on an American camp this Summer. You know why? I did it last year, but can't do it again this year (can't afford it!)......you guys are going to have the absolute time of your lives!!!

Firstly, I went through Camp America...but I do advise either CCUSA or BUNAC (they both pay better, charge less, AND give you better services when you're out there - for example you'll get a t-shirt that fits you, and not just send you a size XL, hoping for the best!)

Secondly, don't always assume that there'll be plenty of Brits around too. The camp I was on (Friendly Pines Camp in Arizona), there was only 2 Brits (thats including me) of about 60 staff. However, a friend of mine who did it was on a camp of 30 staff, where about 28 of them were Brits - so it does vary! (Think it depends on how traditional it is - more traditional = more americans)

Thirdly - again - you're seriously gona have an amazing time! Don't take *too* much stuff as you'll probs end up buying crap loads anyway! I came back with bags that weight TWICE what they weighed when I went out there. Whoops! Managed to blag my way around the extra baggage charges that the Easyjet lass at Stansted was going to charge me though! Hehe!

Fourthly - really, I *am* jealous of you lot. Damnit :frown:

*Edit* - I forgot to say, if you have any questions about anything from Visas to Travelling to Working with American Kids (haha...you'll enjoy that!) - send me a PM :smile:
Reply 36
red665
I've applied for Camp America this year :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: - I'm so exited! I'm just really, really looking forward to working outdoors in the sunshine everyday for 3months doing exactly what I love! (Martial Arts, Scuba Diving, Rollerblading and Swimming :biggrin:)

I've got a place on a Lifeguarding course too, starting tomorrow! and guess what happens on Friday last? Yep - I got a horrible cough/cold. I've been desperately trying to get rid of it since. If I pass the lifeguarding course I will get a definate place in Camp :biggrin: (plus a little more pocket money).

Have you heard back on where you've been placed yet? I am waiting to hear back from my application. Any plans for travelling afterwards?!
My contract is through from BUNAC, and Camp Echo Lake, NY is where I'm going. Flying out of Heathrow on June 9th.
Reply 38
Expression
My contract is through from BUNAC, and Camp Echo Lake, NY is where I'm going. Flying out of Heathrow on June 9th.

Looks really good! I cant wait to hear back.
Alexis3574
Have you heard back on where you've been placed yet? I am waiting to hear back from my application. Any plans for travelling afterwards?!

Wow, just checked this out randomly and there's a mention to my post ages ago! lol Flukey stuff!

I did the lifeguarding course and passed it :biggrin: So I'm now garunteed a place at a camp. I've gone through the visa application stuff and got that. I've done the camp orientation thing too. I've even got my baggage insurance.

Yet I do not know where, or when I'm going. lol

Still waiting for a Camp to take me! lol.

Edit: And as for travelling, I would like to - but as I don't know when I'm going, I don't know how long I'm going to have in the States once I've finished my assignment. I will travel if I've got the time! I think I like the sound of going on a thing with people called "trek america" - they seem nice!

Latest