The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Im thinking about doing campe america or bunac next year before i go to uni but i looked on the site and it says you need to be able to teach something but im really rubbish at sports exept swimming(not that good at this either :frown: ) But i would really like to do something like kayacking or canoeing but do you need previous expeariance to do this. Can u do camp america if your not sporty?
znicz
Im thinking about doing campe america or bunac next year before i go to uni but i looked on the site and it says you need to be able to teach something but im really rubbish at sports exept swimming(not that good at this either :frown: ) But i would really like to do something like kayacking or canoeing but do you need previous expeariance to do this. Can u do camp america if your not sporty?

When you apply to Camp America, one of the forms is a whole side of activities that they do at the various camps. They range from scuba diving to astronomy, via metalwork, ecology, mechanics, music and magic. Literally, everything! And they give you the option to tick your experience level in those subjects, either 'Basic experience' to 'able to teach'. You can also say you have a certification in a skill. It isn't all about sports :biggrin:

It helps to have experience in an area, but overal so long as you're honest about your level of skill and don't try to say you're Tim Henman when you've never picked up a tennis racket in your life, I think you'll be ok :smile: Plus, whilst at camp, you do everything the kids do I've been told, so if you're not teaching, you're learning :biggrin:
Reply 42
red665

so long as you're honest about your level of skill and don't try to say you're Tim Henman when you've never picked up a tennis racket in your life,

I made this mistake hehe! I put on my form I'd had some experience in Tennis and when I got to the camp I was meant to be the Head of Campcraft but the guy who was meant to be the Head of Tennis didn't turn up at the last minute and so they made me the Head of Tennis lol! I *do* have some experience - like some PE lessons back in Year 10 or something hehe!

I explained to them I seriously had no idea how to teach it and they got someone else to do it! :redface:

red665

I will travel if I've got the time! I think I like the sound of going on a thing with people called "trek america" - they seem nice!

Although Trek America do look good - the prices that they state are far far too high. It'd be cheaper to hire a car and travel around with some friends that you make - seriously! And you'll be welcome to stay with your American friends you've made (really...they are ALL incredibly welcoming!!). Me and another guy from England drove from Phoenix, Arizona up over Hoover Dam, through Vegas, through the Nevada desert, into California and through Yosemite National Park, then went north all the way to Seattle! Was an amazing trip of 2000 miles over 4 days! :biggrin:

....wish I could do it again :frown:
znicz

There's no reason why you can't apply for the support positions in places like the kitchens, in maintainence, office etc positions. These often pay more than the councellor positions.

Latest