The Student Room Group

Holamigo is gonna get FIT, healthy and lose the tummy flab!! OH yes!

I have to do it now I've made this blog!

Right, I'll tell you a bit about me: (sorry its so long!!!)

I lost a bit of weight before and over christmas!(weird really!) but it was because I was ill before and lost my appetite then in Jan I started eating more and more!
So I decided to join the local gym and get fitter! I also want to enter a half-a-marathon(13 miles) in may but i'm giving up on the idea... :frown:
My mum has entered it and she and her friends ran 10 miles yesterday and i'm not even CLOSE to that yet.
So even if I end up training this year and entering it year after i'll be happy :smile:

I'm a size 10 (but around the time of the month its a bit of a squeeze and comfortable in size 12.)
My main problem is my tummy! (its my only problem everywhere else legs, bum is fine. So it makes me look like i'm not in proportion or pregnant sometimes! really annoying)
BMI: 21.6
Bra size: 36 C/D
Had induction at gym on the 24th Jan and had these measurements taken:

Weight: 63KG 9st 12 pounds
Height: 5"7
Body fat: 31.5%(high - not sure why)
Slightly high blood pressure - nothing to worry about though.
(Some other measurements aswel but they are at the gym- will look tommorow)

First week starting 26th Jan - Went to gym 3 times in that week - also walked and jogged to gym on one of the days - and it took about 45 mins, its quite far away.

Second week - 2nd Feb - gym 3 times, also ran on another day.

Now I need to start eating healthy!!! and i'm eating far too much rubbish and not enough fresh fruit n veg and because i'm doing the most exercise i've ever done I feel I can eat more! thing is i'm not really losing much weight! so this week I'm going to eat healthy and improve my diet. My weakness is biscuits - borbons! I had about 8 the other day. not good.

Gym session usually includes:

5-7 mins cycling or on the cross trainer thing just to warm up
15 mins running
10 mins rowing

Then I do weights for 10 mins.. go around and do 5/10 of each- duno if it does any good.
and do about 30 situps.

Now I know i need to improve my workout some how ?? but not sure the best way so any advice would be good. Also need to know how many calories I should be having based on the exericise i'm doing?

I'm gonna weigh myself every sunday - only thing I dont get is when you weigh yourself in the morning its not really your actual weight because your 2 pounds lighter?! so when I was weighed in the gym it was in the afternoon I was 2 pounds heavier so how do I ever know what my proper weight is! its confusing. :s-smilie:

Sunday 8th Feb - 1 o'clockish = 9 st 8

anything you want to know just ask :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Belle88
What's the point of this thread

minus your attention seeking

not at all!
you could say that about the other blogs on here.
I just need to lose a bit of weight like other people do and I think this will keep me going
Reply 2
When you wake up is the best time to weigh yourself, as it's as close to a constant as you're going to get - unless your eating and exercise habits are identical everyday, your weight will fluctuate differently on different days due to these factors.
Reply 3
lol, belle: fitness blog, thus OP describing their story. lol, post deleted, epic funz.

good luck, OP!
Reply 4
Holamigo
not at all!
you could say that about the other blogs on here.
I just need to lose a bit of weight like other people do and I think this will keep me going

It would seem to me that belle did not realise this was a blog =/

ah well. good luck and I hope you keep it up =]
loafer
bit harsh, belle.

yeah she's a douche.
Reply 6
Aww! But you're already fit!

Best of luck! I'm about to make one of these as well...
Reply 7
Try to use a structured workout system, check the sticky for some examples. Weights before cardio and it's better to focus on compound exercises (squat, deadlift, pull ups, dips, overhead press etc as opposed to the resistance machines) for a full body workout. Speaking of the old cardio, might be an idea to rotate HIIT (consult the sticky but essentially an interval workout) and longer lower intesity efforts.

As for weighing yourself, just be consistent and do it at the same time to monitor progress. Simply looking the mirror is a good way to see how you're progressing and all.
Reply 8
Mr Roboto
Aww! But you're already fit!

Best of luck! I'm about to make one of these as well...

I feel I could be fitter though!
I tried running outside last week and could only run half a mile without stopping. running in the gym is so different! much easier.
Reply 9
sierraleone
Try to use a structured workout system, check the sticky for some examples. Weights before cardio and it's better to focus on compound exercises (squat, deadlift, pull ups, dips, overhead press etc as opposed to the resistance machines) for a full body workout. Speaking of the old cardio, might be an idea to rotate HIIT (consult the sticky but essentially an interval workout) and longer lower intesity efforts.

As for weighing yourself, just be consistent and do it at the same time to monitor progress. Simply looking the mirror is a good way to see how you're progressing and all.

oo thanks for the advice! I didn't know you were meant to do weights before cardio!
what do you mean by resistance machines??
Think I will read the sticky for all those things you just said lol
Reply 10
It seems like you're poor at cardiovascular exercise/aerobic movements but aren't unfit in the broader sense.

You've got an elevated bodyfat level, which means your lean body mass (LBM) is low. To fix this, you'd want to start training with weights. Compound exercises to get your LBM higher, you'd also want to do quite a bit of cardiovascular exercise if you're looking to run 13 miles. If you can't run half a mile yet, you've got a long way to go.

I'd recommend a 3 day routine, with an off day in between. You can use Saturday and Sunday as cardiovascular days in which you run/brisk walk/swm/cycle etc.

Here's a breakdown of each workout

Weights:

3 sets x 5 repititions.

First of all, don't worry about getting bulky. You won't. Especially if you're a girl since you don't produce enough testosterone. People work very hard to get bulky. It won't happen unless you try really hard.

Weight should be adjusted to a level which you can only lift around 6-7 times. Weight should be increased every workout. Yes, that means every alternate day you increase the weight by an amount. No exceptions. Generally it's 5lbs on the Bench Press, 10lbs on the Squat and 15lbs on the deadlift.. The rest vary by a lot so you should play around with them yourself.

Workout A: Squat, Bench press, deadlift (Deadlift is an exception to the rule, should be 1 set and 5 repititions.)

Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Bent over Rows.

Cardiovascular Exercise:

Since you're planning to run for a long distance, that's what you should do. Training for endurance involves training for a maximum amount of time. You'll gradually see that the 'maximum' will keep pushing itself forward the more you train. The amount you train will therefore increase, and you'll be able to run the 13 miles.

I'd dedicate an hour or two to cardio on weekends. This could be a combination of many forms of cardio or just running. If you want to run, running would be the best option. Don't stop, even if you feel like you're going to collapse. It'll help you break the barriers and move on to the next level.

Diet:

Vegetables, fruit, milk, meats, whole grain bread, oatmeal, etc.

Good luck.
Reply 11
Holamigo

oo thanks for the advice! I didn't know you were meant to do weights before cardio!
what do you mean by resistance machines??
Think I will read the sticky for all those things you just said lol

You're looking to run for endurance. HIIT wouldn't be suitable for that. He/she is right about using free weights instead of machines, but generally you want to stick to the least complex workout program you can find at this stage, which would be the one I described above (Rippetoes, but in a very condensed form.)
Reply 12
ExNihilo
It seems like you're poor at cardiovascular exercise/aerobic movements but aren't unfit in the broader sense.

You've got an elevated bodyfat level, which means your lean body mass (LBM) is low. To fix this, you'd want to start training with weights. Compound exercises to get your LBM higher, you'd also want to do quite a bit of cardiovascular exercise if you're looking to run 13 miles. If you can't run half a mile yet, you've got a long way to go.

I'd recommend a 3 day routine, with an off day in between. You can use Saturday and Sunday as cardiovascular days in which you run/brisk walk/swm/cycle etc.

Here's a breakdown of each workout

Weights:

3 sets x 5 repititions.

First of all, don't worry about getting 'bulky'. You won't. Especially if you're a girl since you don't produce enough testosterone. People work very hard to get 'bulky'. It won't happen unless you try really hard.

Weight should be adjusted to a level which you can only lift around 6-7 times. Weight should be increased every workout. Yes, that means every alternate day you increase the weight by an amount. No exceptions. Generally it's 5lbs on the Bench Press, 10lbs on the Squat and 15lbs on the deadlift.. The rest vary by a lot so you should play around with them yourself.

Workout A: Squat, Bench press, deadlift (Deadlift is an exception to the rule, should be 1 set and 5 repititions.)

Workout B: Squat, Overhead Press, Bent over Rows.

Cardiovascular Exercise:

Since you're planning to run for a long distance, that's what you should do. Training for endurance involves training for a maximum amount of time. You'll gradually see that the 'maximum' will keep pushing itself forward the more you train. The amount you train will therefore increase, and you'll be able to run the 13 miles.

I'd dedicate an hour or two to cardio on weekends. This could be a combination of many forms of cardio or just running. If you want to run, running would be the best option. Don't stop, even if you feel like you're going to collapse. It'll help you break the barriers and move on to the next level.

Diet:

Vegetables, fruit, milk, meats, whole grain bread, oatmeal, etc.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
The only thing is; i'm not good with weight at all....what are deadlifts, squats etc...?? I have really strong legs but my upper body and arms is so weak!
I have a tumour in my right wrist so im not sure if doing weights is good for it but I have lost a lot of strength in my hand..can't open like bottle tops n things so thats why I want to kind of improve the strength and I really want to improve the strength of my left hand/arm. I just don't want to be lifting reeeally heavy weights yet though.
Reply 13
What Exnihilo said.

The world would be a better place if everyone did that.
Reply 14
Holamigo
Thanks for the advice!
The only thing is; i'm not good with weight at all....what are deadlifts, squats etc...?? I have really strong legs but my upper body and arms is so weak!
I have a tumour in my right wrist so im not sure if doing weights is good for it but I have lost a lot of strength in my hand..can't open like bottle tops n things so thats why I want to kind of improve the strength and I really want to improve the strength of my left hand/arm. I just don't want to be lifting reeeally heavy weights yet though.

They won't be really heavy, and yes, they'll help with your grip. What you're describing is probably a lipoma (which is mostly harmless, i had one too a while a go.).

Here's a Squat: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html

Here's a Deadlift: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

I'm sure you know what a bench press is. You can find animations for all the other exercises on exrx.net. It gives good descriptions of each exercise too.

The deadlift and Bent over rows will help with your grip a lot. You'll suddenly discover that you can open bottle caps and things easily after a few workouts.
Reply 15
Reply 16
ExNihilo
They won't be really heavy, and yes, they'll help with your grip. What you're describing is probably a lipoma (which is mostly harmless, i had one too a while a go.).

Here's a Squat: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat.html

Here's a Deadlift: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

I'm sure you know what a bench press is. You can find animations for all the other exercises on exrx.net. It gives good descriptions of each exercise too.

The deadlift and Bent over rows will help with your grip a lot. You'll suddenly discover that you can open bottle caps and things easily after a few workouts.

hmm... well I had a biopsy taken and the results were inconclusive so not too sure if its benign or not.
what happened to yours? did it just go?

ahh I know what they are... I will try doing them!
Thanks 4 advice again,
i'm off for a run now! :smile:
Reply 17

Just come back from my run... took 1 hour and I did 4 miles -
I jogged and did a brisk walk.
Had my new running trainers on (not good idea) and the back of my ankle is covered in blood so is my new trainer :frown::frown:! so I was hobbling along a bit.

Reply 18
Swim if you are going to do anything, Going to the gym could rub your ankle more, making it more difficult to train tomorrow etc
Reply 19
I Didn't go for a swim or to gym in the end as felt bit knackered from my run and my ankle stil hurts! :frown:

So this is what I've eaten so far today=

Breakfast:
One wheatabix and a piece of melon.

Dinner:
Tuna and mayo sandwich (with wholemeal bread)
some Skips (around 90 cals)
a pear and a bananna

Drink: 1 1/2 litres water and one glass of milk

Tea:
Chicken stir fry

snacks:

Fruit: kiwi, apple and grapes

pack of skips
3 borbon biscuits eek! (im gonna cut down gradually! lol )

Latest