The Student Room Group

Preparations... Oxbridge 2009

Ok, bit premature because I haven't got my grades yet...but ah well.

Now exams and everything else are over, I have decided to start thinking about preparations for uni and things I need to buy/what to take.

Got a couple of questions!

1) I'm a grade 8 pianist and was thinking of buying a digital piano thing to bring with me. Is this a good idea?

2) What about games consoles? Would love to bring my Gamecube/PS3/N64, but don't know if I will have time to play it or whether I should bring a TV or not.

I will need to buy both a new TV and the piano so preparing early!

:redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you bring a TV that you want to use to watch telly on, you'll need to pay for a licence as well. If you're just using it to play consoles on, though, you don't need to. As for a digital piano thing, I doubt you'll need one. It may mean that you can play the piano in your room, but I'd imagine that there will be plenty of other pianos for you to play. Depending on which college you're at, you may even be able to get a room with a piano in it (they have those at Robinson at least) :smile:
Talk about precocious...
shamrock92
Talk about precocious...

Why?

Pinkpenguin - I've been thinking exactly the same thing! I'm thinking about bedding and everything! Teehee. I'm going to bring a tv but only to watch VHS on because I don't want to pay for a TV licence - it's over £100 I think.

I'm so excited!!
Reply 4
I don't know anyone that has a television - there isn't really any time to watch it!
You really won't have time for any of those things.
nuodai
If you bring a TV that you want to use to watch telly on, you'll need to pay for a licence as well. If you're just using it to play consoles on, though, you don't need to.

Sorry, off topic, but are you sure about that? I have a computer monitor that doubles as a TV with freeview box, and I'd love to take it to uni with me (just to use with my computer), but I really don't want to have to pay the license...
AnnabelleGC
Why?

Pinkpenguin - I've been thinking exactly the same thing! I'm thinking about bedding and everything! Teehee. I'm going to bring a tv but only to watch VHS on because I don't want to pay for a TV licence - it's over £100 I think.

I'm so excited!!

Erm... don't you always have to pay for one?
You can't prove you haven't been watching it and so can still be fined.
Reply 8
StandingOnAir
Sorry, off topic, but are you sure about that? I have a computer monitor that doubles as a TV with freeview box, and I'd love to take it to uni with me (just to use with my computer), but I really don't want to have to pay the license...

For it to be legal, you'd definitely have to pay for a licence.
Electric_Dreams

Now, I'm not well acquainted with legalities, but that can't be the law, surely.
nuodai
For it to be legal, you'd definitely have to pay for a licence.

But how is that different to taking a TV just to use with a console? If that's legal (although perhaps not, according to Electric_Dreams), then my monitor should be legal, so long as I don't use it as a TV...?

Ah, I'll google it.
Electric_Dreams

Nope, you can have a TV without a licence as long as you do not use it to watch broadcasts. Obviously this causes issue when/if you are taken to court. The only way they can actually prove you have been watching broadcasts is if they walk in and check your TV; otherwise, it is very difficult for them to prove you have been ( :wink: )

edit: Just keep it as far from the socket-thingy (if you have one! I don't...) as possible, and remove any external aerial, mess up the tuning etc.
Reply 12
StandingOnAir
But how is that different to taking a TV just to use with a console? If that's legal (although perhaps not, according to Electric_Dreams), then my monitor should be legal, so long as I don't use it as a TV...?

Ah, I'll google it.

As long as you're not watching the telly without a licence, you'll be fine, heh.
Yep, from the official website:

Do I need a TV Licence?

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

I thought my parents' TV Licence would cover me.

Your parents' TV Licence won't cover your use of any TV receiver in student accommodation, except in the following rare and limited circumstances:

You only use TV receiving equipment that is powered by its internal batteries; and

You have not installed it (e.g. connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains) to receive TV; and

Your permanent address (non term-time) is your parents' home; and

Your parents have a valid TV Licence for their home.

If you do not satisfy all of these requirements, you will need to buy your own TV Licence for your student accommodation.

To check whether this exception applies to you, please call us on 0844 800 6721.

So, in theory, it should be fine as long as you don't bring an aerial! Hooray, no fines.
This thread's got me over excited again!! I don't have a tv at home so doubt i'll need one at uni :-D i'm taking my violin but think pianos are quite widespread in oxford and cambridge. It would be nice for relaxation though in your room...
Reply 15
leala4628
This thread's got me over excited again!! I don't have a tv at home so doubt i'll need one at uni :-D i'm taking my violin but think pianos are quite widespread in oxford and cambridge. It would be nice for relaxation though in your room...

This is what I'm thinking...

I would really like one! Plus, I'm not exactly the greatest player you've seen, and I don't wanna embarass myself. :rolleyes:

What do we think on games consoles? I don't know if I can live without my gamecube!!
pinkpenguin
This is what I'm thinking...

I would really like one! Plus, I'm not exactly the greatest player you've seen, and I don't wanna embarass myself. :rolleyes:

What do we think on games consoles? I don't know if I can live without my gamecube!!

You're grade 8 and you don't think you're that good? I only got as far as "The Little Dragon" in Preparation Level 2 - I'd just got to using two hands at once! (kind of hard for a 5 year old)
Reply 17
There are lots of practice rooms with pianos in, if you want to get a stage piano get a good one like this: http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=ST00479 woops didn't realise the price so its probably best to just use a practice room.
Reply 18
I have a tv which I use as a monitor for my laptop. With regards to games consoles- I don't know of anyone that has enough time really. During term time, I find myself working or out doing something. Not to say you might not want it for an hour every week or something, but it may just act as a distraction when you want to sit and work! Also piano- at Newnham there are rooms with pianos in which go to musicians/choral scholars. That may be something to ask your own college about.
I was wondering about the monitor/tv point as well. I want to take my tv as a monitor and to play DVDs on (I know I might not get much time, but I can't live without occasionally just shutting off infront of a DVD). I don't want to pay a licence fee as I have no interest in watching the TV but it was an expensive monitor and I don't want to leave it at home! Surely it is up to the TV licence people to prove that you are using it as a TV, it is still innocent until proven guilty over here in the land of the free, right?

phil.

Latest

Trending

Trending