The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Can anyone help me here? I've tried to work the A* business out but I'm confused...

In Sociology I have an A at AS (180/200 UMS), 78/80 in SY1 and 102/120 in SY2. Since I have 180/200 overall which is 90%, does that mean if I keep the standard up next year and get around the same I'll get an A*? I really would love to get an A* in Sociology since I want to study it at Uni :smile:

Also in Religious Studies I got an A with 171/200, does anyone know what I'd need to average in the RS3/RS4 modules to get an A* next year? (both modules are out of 100)
Reply 781
So wait you need an average of 90 ums in C3 and C4 to get an A* in Maths? So does that mean if you got 100 in C3 and 80 in C4 you'd get an A* provided you have an A overall?
Original post by IJWBS
So wait you need an average of 90 ums in C3 and C4 to get an A* in Maths? So does that mean if you got 100 in C3 and 80 in C4 you'd get an A* provided you have an A overall?

Of course. What else could it mean?
Original post by xWelshyx
Can anyone help me here? I've tried to work the A* business out but I'm confused...

In Sociology I have an A at AS (180/200 UMS), 78/80 in SY1 and 102/120 in SY2. Since I have 180/200 overall which is 90%, does that mean if I keep the standard up next year and get around the same I'll get an A*? I really would love to get an A* in Sociology since I want to study it at Uni :smile: Yes.

Also in Religious Studies I got an A with 171/200, does anyone know what I'd need to average in the RS3/RS4 modules to get an A* next year? (both modules are out of 100) 90%

Answers above.
Reply 784
Original post by Good bloke
Answers above.

Thanks, much appreciated :smile:
For further maths AS I got: fp1 (92), d1 (78), d2 (78)

Next year I will do fp2, fp3 and m2

What marks will I need to get in these to get an a* in further maths? Do I need 90 ums or over in each unit? Thanks.
Reply 786
Original post by number23
For further maths AS I got: fp1 (92), d1 (78), d2 (78)

Next year I will do fp2, fp3 and m2

What marks will I need to get in these to get an a* in further maths? Do I need 90 ums or over in each unit? Thanks.

To get an A* in further Maths, you need 80% overall average (480 UMS) including 90% average across your best 3 A2 units (totalling 270 UMS).
Reply 787
Hello, about A*'s.

I am doing OCR MEI for my maths subjects, which is what this topic is specifically aimed at, I don't know of the A* rule is the same across all boards and subjects so I included the details.

Am I right in thinking, to get awarded an A*, all you need is an A overall and an A* in your A2 exams?

Like, it would still be an A* if you got:
AS: A
A2: A*
But overall the points equated to an A?

I don't know I'm just pretty sure I read that somewhere that you needed overall an A and A* in A2
Original post by Harvo
Hello, about A*'s.

I am doing OCR MEI for my maths subjects, which is what this topic is specifically aimed at, I don't know of the A* rule is the same across all boards and subjects so I included the details.

Am I right in thinking, to get awarded an A*, all you need is an A overall and an A* in your A2 exams?

I don't know I'm just pretty sure I read that somewhere that you needed overall an A and A* in A2

No you don't. You need an A overall and 90%+ for A2. I got a mid B for AS History and managed it.
Original post by Harvo
Hello, about A*'s.

yes everything you said is correct. In fact

AS: B

can get you an a* too.
You need 90% + across your modules in A2. Even if you get an A at AS, and you get 90% in some of your A2 modules, you can still get an A*, I am doing OCR MEI too :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 791
Thanks both very much :smile:
Got 244/300 in my further maths and was worrying about the prospect of needing 296 to get an A* :P
Reply 792
Original post by .Serenity.
You need 90% + across all of your modules in A2. Even if you get an A at AS, and you get 90% in some of your A2 modules, you won't get an A*, as it needs to be consistent. I am doing OCR MEI too :smile:

Oh, so I need A* in every module at A2, but still at least an A overall in AS & A2.
Original post by Harvo
Oh, so I need A* in every module at A2, but still at least an A overall in AS & A2.

Sorry! I was thinking of something elsewhen I wrote, but I edited it. You don't need A* in every module just an average of 90%. I know of people who didn't get A* in every module, but still got awarded an A*
270/300 UMS A2 units
480/600 UMS A level
Reply 795
Sorry! I was thinking of something elsewhen I wrote, but I edited it. You don't need A* in every module just an average of 90%. I know of people who didn't get A* in every module, but still got awarded an A*

Ah ok! good :smile:

Reply 796
Original post by yahyahyahs

Original post by bumblehoneybee

Sorry to hijack the thread but does getting A in all your AS and A2 modules get you an A*? im doing AQA A level maths.

Reply 797
It doesn't make sense to talk about an A* in a module or in AS or A2 individually. An A* is awarded for the whole A-level. For most subjects, you get an A* if you get an A overall, but 90% average across A2. For Maths, an A* is awarded if you get an A overall and a 90% average across C3 and C4. For Further Maths, an A* is awarded if you get an A overall and 90% average across your best three A2 modules (since you can get a Further Maths A-level with, say, 2 AS and 4 A2 modules, rather than a 3/3 split).

It doesn't matter what your individual module scores are, or what your AS result is, as long as the above conditions are met.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 798
Original post by ak137
Sorry to hijack the thread but does getting A in all your AS and A2 modules get you an A*? im doing AQA A level maths.

You need to average 90%+ in C3 and C4 combined to get an A* in maths, with an average of 80%+ across the whole A level. That's all there is to it.
Reply 799
Hey, getting an A* is based on this criteria: Having 90%+ in your modules at A2 and around 90% at AS, because an A* gets introduced at A2, getting an A, which is around 80% at A2 would mean you are not fulfilling the criteria for an overall A* grade.

Well from what everyone else as said, you wouldn't need around 90% at AS??

You could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2 and therefore still get awarded an A*

Quick Reply

Latest