The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Templar49
Just need confirmation of this;

I got 150/200 UMS in Economics AS, a B; if I kept my AS grades and got 90% for A2, would that constitute an A*?

The answer is given in the OP of this thread.
Do pracs count, i.e is it unit 4/ unit 5/ prac =90% ? (for science subjects)

EDIT1: damn it they do...... Nevermind!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1222
Please may someone help me?! In my AS Religious Studies (AQA) I got an A - Where I got an A in RSS01 with 89/100 ums marks BUT a B in RSS10 with 74/100 ums marks, overall I got 163 ums marks out of 200. I didnt get 2 A's across the 2 units in my As Religious Studies units, however if I get over 90% next year would I still be able to get an A*? Also my RSS01 was 9 ums marks above the A pass and wouldn't this make up for the 6 UMS marks I was off an A in Religious Studies Unit 10? Someone please help me out! - I really want an A* next year, thanks :smile:
Original post by Neena
Please may someone help me?! In my AS Religious Studies (AQA) I got an A - Where I got an A in RSS01 with 89/100 ums marks BUT a B in RSS10 with 74/100 ums marks, overall I got 163 ums marks out of 200. I didnt get 2 A's across the 2 units in my As Religious Studies units, however if I get over 90% next year would I still be able to get an A*? Also my RSS01 was 9 ums marks above the A pass and wouldn't this make up for the 6 UMS marks I was off an A in Religious Studies Unit 10? Someone please help me out! - I really want an A* next year, thanks :smile:

If can spare the time to read the first post of this thread you will find your questions answered there.
How do I get an A* in english this year where my UMS points currently stand on 162/200
and history where my UMS points on 168/200 ?

Reply 1225
Original post by Good bloke
If can spare the time to read the first post of this thread you will find your questions answered there.

Yeah but it's confusing, at first it says it doesnt matter what you get in AS like you could get 60% in AS and only A2 counts say if you get 100% you could still get an A* but then it says you need A's all through your AS and A2's and on one of my modules I got a B, does this mean I cannot get my A*? My teacher also said I needed 2 A's in the modules to be predicted an A* - but im asking if I can get one with what I got now.
Original post by Neena
then it says you need A's all through your AS and A2's

No it doesn't.
Original post by Roshniroxy
How do I get an A* in english this year where my UMS points currently stand on 162/200
and history where my UMS points on 168/200 ?

Get 90% UMS+ at A2 in both subjects to get your A*
Reply 1228
Original post by Good bloke
No it doesn't.

What did it mean by this then?

''My A2 units add up to an A* but I got a B overall. Why is this?

You need to achieve an A grade across all the A Level units both AS and A2. In this case, you may not have done as well in your AS units and you may
wish to consider whether you should re-sit your AS units to improve your overall grade.''
Original post by Neena
What did it mean by this then?

''My A2 units add up to an A* but I got a B overall. Why is this?

You need to achieve an A grade across all the A Level units both AS and A2. In this case, you may not have done as well in your AS units and you may
wish to consider whether you should re-sit your AS units to improve your overall grade.''

No, you need to get an A average i.e 80% UMS+ in the whole A-level AND Get 90% UMS+ at A2
Original post by tehforum
Get 90% UMS+ at A2 in both subjects to get your A*

so get 90% ums in A2 next year ?
Original post by Roshniroxy
so get 90% ums in A2 next year ?

Yeah
Yeah

cheers :biggrin:
Reply 1233
No, you need to get an A average i.e 80% UMS+ in the whole A-level AND Get 90% UMS+ at A2

Oh right thank you! I understand now! - So I just need an A (80%) at AS (I got 81%) and 90% A* at A2 to get an A* Overall!? :biggrin:
Original post by Neena
Oh right thank you! I understand now! - So I just need an A (80%) at AS (I got 81%) and 90% A* at A2 to get an A* Overall!? :biggrin:

Well technically you don't need an A at AS as you need an A (80%) over both years, and 90% at A2.

ie. you could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2, then that would be 80% overall and 90% in A2 and you'd get your A*

But it doesn't matter anyway as you have 81% in AS, so get your 90% in A2 and you'll get your A* :wink:
Reply 1235
Original post by Andy Ftw
Well technically you don't need an A at AS as you need an A (80%) over both years, and 90% at A2.

ie. you could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2, then that would be 80% overall and 90% in A2 and you'd get your A*

But it doesn't matter anyway as you have 81% in AS, so get your 90% in A2 and you'll get your A* :wink:

Thank You! This information was very helpful! :smile:
Reply 1236
so i got a B in AS maths - an A in c1, an A in M1, a C in C2
My as grade is around 75%.

What must I do to get an A*
I am doing S1 C3 C4 this year
Original post by dineshn
so i got a B in AS maths - an A in c1, an A in M1, a C in C2
My as grade is around 75%.

What must I do to get an A*
I am doing S1 C3 C4 this year

For an A* in maths you need 180 UMS from C3+C4 combined, and 480 UMS from your 6 modules combined.

Assuming you're on 75% exactly from your AS you have 225/300 UMS. So if you get 180 UMS from C3+C4 combined (this could be 100 in one and 80 in the other) you'll get have 405 UMS and you'd need 75 UMS from your final module (S1).

That's just an example, but assuming you have 225 UMS, you'll need to meet minimum of 180 UMS in C3+C4, and a maximum of 75 UMS in S1 for an A*, but obviously the scores in each affect the others.
Original post by Neena
Thank You! This information was very helpful! :smile:

And, as I said, was all in the OP.

So if you get a B at AS, then 90% in A2, that would work out as an A*?
Since B + a* = A overall, then the 90% in A2 for A*.

Quick Reply

Latest