The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by :)ella
I'm sure this has been asked but I've been scrolling through the thread and I can't find it so sorry!

But on your results sheet, if you were lucky enough to get the marks needed for an A*, will it actually say A* or just A?

Because in maths (which is the only A2 exam I've ever done before) you only get given an A as the maximum, even if you got full marks, and then the A* just comes when you get the full A Level.

Is that only maths or is that how every subject works?

Thank you :smile:

Same all around:smile:
Reply 1381
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Same all around:smile:

thank you, I've wasted all of today's rep negging idiots but I'll make you you get some +rep tomorrow :smile:
Original post by :)ella
thank you, I've wasted all of today's rep negging idiots but I'll make you you get some +rep tomorrow :smile:

It's fine, thanks :h:
For OCR i have had mixed answers on how to achieve A*.

My biology teachers - 90% average in A Level. So if i get 85% and then 100%, i get A*
2 Chemistry Teachers - 90% in both A Level exams, jan and june. So if 87% and 100%, i dont get A* as both are not >90.

Who is correct?
Reply 1384
Original post by Otherguyx
For OCR i have had mixed answers on how to achieve A*.

My biology teachers - 90% average in A Level. So if i get 85% and then 100%, i get A*
2 Chemistry Teachers - 90% in both A Level exams, jan and june. So if 87% and 100%, i dont get A* as both are not >90.

Who is correct?

Neither is quite right, though Chemistry is definitely wrong. You need 270/300 across the 3 A2 units. How that is split between them does not matter in the slightest.
I got my first AS grades today and i'm really confused on what you have to do to get an A*.

The uni i want to go to requires at least one A* and i want to do chemistry at uni so i just wondered if it's still possible with these results - chem F321 ocr I got 72 UMS and for maths aqa PC1 I got 87 UMS (both a)

Is it possible for me to get an a* in chem or maths at the end of A2 or can I not do that with that UMS?

Thank you for any help, i tried asking my teachers but they weren't sure! :smile:
Reply 1386
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
I got my first AS grades today and i'm really confused on what you have to do to get an A*.

The uni i want to go to requires at least one A* and i want to do chemistry at uni so i just wondered if it's still possible with these results - chem F321 ocr I got 72 UMS and for maths aqa PC1 I got 87 UMS (both a)

Is it possible for me to get an a* in chem or maths at the end of A2 or can I not do that with that UMS?

Thank you for any help, i tried asking my teachers but they weren't sure! :smile:

Yes it is possible. For an A* in Chemistry you need 480/600 overall and then 270/300 in the A2 units. For Maths you need 480/600 overall and 180/200 in PC3 and PC4.
Reply 1387
Ok, so, having got mixed messages from school and a snooty attitude from the exam board, I'm hoping for clarification here!

I got 107/120 on my AQA Eng Lit/Lang exam at A2. That's over 89% but not quite 90% for anyone not doing maths! To get an A*, do I need to resit or get it remarked to push it up to 90%, or can I get an A* by ensuring I get higher on the coursework module? I.e. is it 90% overall that counts, or does it absolutely have to be 90% on every module?

I don't need an A*, but I can't go the rest of the year knowing I'm THAT close. Thank you :frown:
Reply 1388
Original post by Linds9
Ok, so, having got mixed messages from school and a snooty attitude from the exam board, I'm hoping for clarification here!

I got 107/120 on my AQA Eng Lit/Lang exam at A2. That's over 89% but not quite 90% for anyone not doing maths! To get an A*, do I need to resit or get it remarked to push it up to 90%, or can I get an A* by ensuring I get higher on the coursework module? I.e. is it 90% overall that counts, or does it absolutely have to be 90% on every module?

You need at least 180/200 from the A2 units. How that is split does not matter , so as long as you get at least 73 in the c/w (and you get at least 320/400 on the whole A level), you will get an A*.
Is A* specifically 90% A2 and 80% over AS or is it done by grade boundaries?
E.g. If the A2 exams are out of 200 UMS, do you need 180 marks in A2 (90%), or could it be 170/60 if the exams were really hard?
Original post by Mojojojo
Is A* specifically 90% A2 and 80% over AS or is it done by grade boundaries?
E.g. If the A2 exams are out of 200 UMS, do you need 180 marks in A2 (90%), or could it be 170/60 if the exams were really hard?

All grades including A* are calculated using UMS results - not on the actual % of correct answers
If the A2 exams are out of 200 UMS you need 180 UMS in A2 and 320 UMS in total for A* - the raw marks to achieve that UMS will depend on the difficulty of the exams
(edited 11 years ago)
Just checking because I am unsure but........
Human biology unit 4 I got 115/120 so to get an A* for A2 I need a further 155 UMS over unit 5 and the EMPA?
I already have an A at AS
Original post by Gummibaerchen
Just checking because I am unsure but........
Human biology unit 4 I got 115/120 so to get an A* for A2 I need a further 155 UMS over unit 5 and the EMPA?
I already have an A at AS

Yes you need 270/300 UMS at A2 for an A*
Original post by gdunne42
Yes you need 270/300 UMS at A2 for an A*

That's what I thought, thanks :smile: So another 155 UMS :smile:
Reply 1394
Just say if i get these results....

C1 83
C2 100
C3 86
C4 94
S1 65
S2 55

That's 483/600 ums

Will i get an A*?

S2 is an A2 module, but it doesn't matter right?
Original post by Putch1
Just say if i get these results....

C1 83
C2 100
C3 86
C4 94
S1 65
S2 55

That's 483/600 ums

Will i get an A*?

S2 is an A2 module, but it doesn't matter right?

Yes - see the OP.

The structure of A Level Mathematics is different from other subjects, and so uses a slightly different rule. It is currently possible to achieve A Level Mathematics with four AS and two A2 units or with three AS and three A2 units. Therefore, so that the same rule can be applied to all unit combinations, candidates must get a grade A on the A Level overall and achieve 90% of the UMS on the two mandatory A2 units combined (units C3 and C4). It is also possible to achieve A Level Further Mathematics with more than three A2 units.
Reply 1396
Original post by usycool1
Yes - see the OP.

Thanks ^_^
So, if you have 87.5% overall at AS and 90% overall at AS, then that's A* at A-Level? cool, never realised that.
Reply 1398
If you meant

Original post by J.Nalbandian14
So, if you have 87.5% overall at AS and 90% overall at A2, then that's A* at A-Level? cool, never realised that.

then yes.
Original post by Data
If you meant

then yes.

Damn I didn't recognise that. Thanks for spotting it and answering the question. Attaining 90% in the next exam will be hard though but now I'm intruiged because I didn't know the A* system had worked this way beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest