The Student Room Group
Reply 1
That's the whole point - you can do whatever the hell you want. You can go travelling, work to save money for uni, study something, or just do nothing (although that's probably not very wise). I worked, saved loads of money, and switched uni courses to something better.
Reply 2
isnt it difficult to get back to studying after a whole year? i mean for sum ppl its hard to get back even after 3 months ( me lol)..
Reply 3
It depends how motivated you are about the subject you want to study. For some it can have a positive impact on your degree to have a break (you've been working non stop for the past seven years), but some find it difficult to get into the routine of work (but you will eventually), but the experiences you would have had on your gap year will make up for it.
Reply 4
cool thanx..btw r u on a gap year?
Sometimes it's best to take a gap year if you really aren't sure about what to do with your life...even though it dosent seem it at the time, your loan is your money, and to spend that much money on something it helps to be sure about it. A gap year can give you the time to just think about what you really want.
I know some people who just took very simple gap years earning money in very basic jobs...they didnt want to have to borrow as much, or they wanted the funds to go travelling.
On the other hand I know people who decided to spend their gap year getting relevant experience for their career, even if it was very poorly paid. I think it depends how clear your plan is of what you want to do long term.
hope this helps (I didnt take a gap year, but I looked into it a lot. I realised the reason I wanted to take one was that I didnt want to leave my friends, but they were all leaving anyway, so it would have been a bit daft!)
Reply 6
nemo199
cool thanx..btw r u on a gap year?

yes, but one I was kind of forced into because I dropped out of uni. Saved loads of money for next year though :smile:
Gap Years are great, but like anything else in,life only if you put the effort in. I'm on one now and I'm so glad I actually went in to it knowing what I wanted to do.

It meant I knew exactly how much I wanted to save and therefore I could work out the earliest possible date for me to quit work and go travelling. If I hadn't planned anything I would have ended up wasting the year and my money on a cr*ppy job and going out drinking.
Reply 8
I'm currently on a Year in Industry placement (basically working for a year with maybe some travelling at the end). One of the reasons I took a gap year was because I didn't feel ready for uni. Maybe it was because I was young for my year but whatever the reasons for me not feeling ready I know that I am ready now as working has really helped me think about where I want to go in life/who I want to be. I think I will be able to get a lot more out of uni after taking this gap year.
Reply 9
Im working full time, going on a few holidays with some friends and just sorta enjoying myself :wink:
Reply 10
I'm on a gap year, so I get up late, post b******s on internet forums, and wonder what happened to all the grand plans I had at the start.
Reply 11
gap years are brilliant :rolleyes: . i already had a place at university, just deferred it, and it was a kind of test on my motivation for doing medicine (sounds like a cliché, eh?). as for my gap year i am having a great time...working full time (in public health, which although sounds dismal is related to medicine :biggrin:) and travelling throughout summer. what a person thinks about their gap year really depends on what they are doing and how they are utilising their year out. as for age and feeling older, doesnt really matter how OLD you are - think it is all about what you FEEL like. (but i am quite young for my year, though not the youngest for birthday is in may) ...and i am sure you would fit in which ever year you go, for there would be loads of people who would be taking year outs and even with the ppl just out of alevels i am sure you wouldnt feel out of touch.
xxx

Latest