The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Gradings

Hi all, sorry this is my first post.

I took the AS Human Biology back in 2001, and have started the A2 this year (a bit of a gap I know). I hadn't realised that my AS grade (C) will be included in the overall grade (if this isn't the case please stop me here :biggrin:).

I was hoping to get an A in the A2, but the C I already have in the AS will bring my grade down. Now I'm panicking at the thought of not being able to get an A or even a B nomatter what grade I get for A2!

I'm wondering if it's too late to get in and sit an AS unit I did worst in, to get my grade up a bit. If it's possible with exam entry time etc...

I won't see my teacher to sort this out until a week Wednesday so if anyone knows anything about how the grading works, please let me know before I have a heart attack :eek3:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm afraid the C counts for 50% of the overall A-level qualification.

You will be able to get a B though, definitely if you get a solid A at A2.
Well, if you're sitting A2's this year, then you must be following old spec, so that means your last chance to retake any modules for AS or A2 is going to be this May/June exam season.
Reply 3
Hippysnake
Well, if you're sitting A2's this year, then you must be following old spec, so that means your last chance to retake any modules for AS or A2 is going to be this May/June exam season.

50%???? :eek:

It is indeed the last year I can sit this syllabus. I know the AS people have just sat exams, resists maybe, but I wasn't sure if I could squeeze in to do an AS unit in June. Hopefully I can, and improve my AS grade.

I know I sound like a child stamping their feet, but I really wanted an A in this.

So would this meaning "cashing-in" my AS grade? Since I need to fill in the exam entry pretty soon I doubt I'd be able to do AS in June and have the new marks count.

:frown:
Reply 4
Well you can still technically get an A overall.

C grade (I don't know how many points you're over but I'm assuming worst case) is 180/300 and an A overall is 480/600 so you'd need 100% 300/300 in all A2 examinations to get your A. Quite a big mountain to climb, but it can be done.
Reply 5
So I'd need full marks....

Then there's hope :biggrin:
Reply 6
Not necessarily. What marks did you get for AS?

I managed an A in Geography the other way around, high A in AS and low C in A2.
Reply 7
majikthise
Not necessarily. What marks did you get for AS?

I managed an A in Geography the other way around, high A in AS and low C in A2.

I'm checking as soon as I get home, fingers crossed it was a higher C. I know I did quite good in one unit, but unit 1 was so bad I may as well not sat it. Funny, since unit 1 is one of my favourites :confused:

Anyway, I'll post my marks later!
Reply 8
I've spoken to the college, I can't improve my AS grade now.

Better start swatting for full marks!
Reply 9
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Ok, I had 206 in the AS. That gives me a little space. As long as I get a high A I should be fine :smile:
VictoriaGB
Hi all, sorry this is my first post.

Sorry for going off topic but why is it that every first poster seems to want to apologise for posting their first post?? I mean have you done something wrong??
VictoriaGB
Ok, I had 206 in the AS. That gives me a little space. As long as I get a high A I should be fine :smile:

So, 480 - 206 = 274
274/300 = 91.3% average in your A2 exams

Good luck!
Reply 13
Good luck. Are you doing the coursework option?
Reply 14
VictoriaGB
I've spoken to the college, I can't improve my AS grade now.

Better start swatting for full marks!

Why not? Did they give a reason?

The last AS resits are this June but...they are still happening. So I don't see why you couldnt. Maybe you could do them at a different centre?
Reply 15
bubblewit
Why not? Did they give a reason?

The last AS resits are this June but...they are still happening. So I don't see why you couldnt. Maybe you could do them at a different centre?

Nah they'll cary em on for about another year or so to give everyone a chance, but question is whether the college would be ready to pay up to enter candidates for it.
Reply 16
xinolisss
Sorry for going off topic but why is it that every first poster seems to want to apologise for posting their first post?? I mean have you done something wrong??

Usually the first post would be some kind of introduction, though it rarely is!

I can't improve my AS grade because it would have been "cashed-in" back in 2001 when I sat it. I'm still going to check with my teacher when we're back next week just incase.
Reply 17
CCJ
Good luck. Are you doing the coursework option?

We're doing a written practical, if that's what you mean :smile:
Reply 18
Why can't you just resit some AS exams in the summer?
Reply 19
Apparently it wouldn't count if I did, since my marks are already long cashed-in.

As I said, I'll check next week, maybe I can!

If I can I'd only need to resit unit 1 exam, that would help a lot.

Latest