The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont study law here...but I will do.

I dont imagine youd have time to work and read law!

London is so fantastigorical that any slight differences in price are made up for by being in the capital.

but durham is an excellent uni!
Durham is great. Everyone should go there.
God, from where I am, London is considered to be WAY up north! :eek: Let alone Durham! Unthinkable! People down here would associate it with the north pole!
Reply 63
Durham is a very good uni but perhaps it's 3rd tier. Durham suffers from the fact that it is up north and many southeners do not wish to go that far away from family. It also lacks the connections available for UoL unis which are based close to city. In terms of rep it is perhaps inferior in terms of alumni to sum of the UoL unis. But most importantly it lacks international recognition compared to the likes of oxbridge and LSE.

In spite of this, Durham is still a fantastic uni and ranked in top 50 Europeen Uni's. (nb. i am being particularly critical as you asked why durham isnt raved as much on TSR as sum other uni's.)

You've roughly got:

1)Oxford
2)Cam
[gap]
3)LSE
4)UCL
[gap]
Manc
Notts
Bristol
Durham
Kings
Warwick
[gap]
the rest.

(the 3rd section is in no particular order.)
Reply 64
well who got offers?
I got rejected, 4 out of 5. Guess it's time to call it quits and go to medical school =(
Reply 65
thegame
Durham is a very good uni but perhaps it's 3rd tier. Durham suffers from the fact that it is up north and many southeners do not wish to go that far away from family. It also lacks the connections available for UoL unis which are based close to city. In terms of rep it is perhaps inferior in terms of alumni to sum of the UoL unis. But most importantly it lacks international recognition compared to the likes of oxbridge and LSE.

In spite of this, Durham is still a fantastic uni and ranked in top 50 Europeen Uni's. (nb. i am being particularly critical as you asked why durham isnt raved as much on TSR as sum other uni's.)

You've roughly got:

1)Oxford
2)Cam
[gap]
3)LSE
4)UCL
[gap]
Manc
Notts
Bristol
Durham
Kings
Warwick
[gap]
the rest.

(the 3rd section is in no particular order.)

I would disagree with the ordering. I think Durham, KCL and CERTAINLY Bristol are pretty much equal with UCL... and arguably LSE. The employment rate out fo those three is just as good.
I don't see why some people see LSE as so much better than UCL for law?
Reply 67
Hi d!

Can you post please? :biggrin:

Please please please?:biggrin:
Reply 68
ForeverDecember
Durham is great. Everyone should go there.

You shouldn't be going there and leaving little me alone in London! (I do know him.. :smile:)
Reply 69
Lawz-
I would disagree with the ordering. I think Durham, KCL and CERTAINLY Bristol are pretty much equal with UCL... and arguably LSE. The employment rate out fo those three is just as good.

Agreed.

And the Pupillage numbers being higher..
Dreama
You shouldn't be going there and leaving little me alone in London! (I do know him.. :smile:)

Well... not totally alone :biggrin:

You'll have Wild Thing to keep you company :smile:
Dreama
Agreed.

And the Pupillage numbers being higher..

Yes, but how much is the pupillage numbers being higher due to the benefits of Kings, as opposed to the huge numbers within each year?

Because Kings has something like over 200 within each year, as opposed to somewhere like Nottingham which has 120 ish.

e.g. KCL - 13 (6.5%)
Nottingham - 10. (8%)

I think that gives Nottingham a slightly higher % within pupillage.
Reply 72
Lottelo
Yes, but how much is the pupillage numbers being higher due to the benefits of Kings, as opposed to the huge numbers within each year?

Because Kings has something like over 200 within each year, as opposed to somewhere like Nottingham which has 120 ish.

e.g. KCL - 13 (6.5%)
Nottingham - 10. (8%)

Fair point - although the comparison is hard to apply on the basis of one year. Nottingham may have had a particularly good year ... also - Unis such as UCL etc have similar numbers. Thus the comparison is valid.
Lottelo

e.g. KCL - 13 (6.5%)
Nottingham - 10. (8%)

Sadly, my friend who came 6th overall last year reports that Notts has an intake for Law and courses involving Law (Law and French, Law and German) of over 240. Having said that though, Notts never tries to encourage students towards the bar- I was told that it is viewed rather peculiarly; a quick glance at Notts menu of electives would make you realise it might as well be called 'City Law'.
Onearmedbandit
Well... not totally alone :biggrin:

You'll have Wild Thing to keep you company :smile:

:wavey: :hello:

but of course...although I'm STILL waiting on LSE :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 75
Maybe you get a special prize for being the last one LSE responds too :proud:

Seriously, i really do feel for u! Just don't let it affect ur revision because i seriously f*ck3d up my Jan exams cus of it.
Reply 76
Ahem, UCL has an intake of 150 whereas KCL has an intake of about 240. :-)
I'm still waiting on LSE as well - it's really getting on my nerves!
lawgrad
Ahem, UCL has an intake of 150 whereas KCL has an intake of about 240. :-)

Yesh, I was thinking this :p: But I couldn't find the number on the KCL website!
tiantang
Maybe you get a special prize for being the last one LSE responds too :proud:

Seriously, i really do feel for u! Just don't let it affect ur revision because i seriously f*ck3d up my Jan exams cus of it.

:rofl: :rofl:
awwww thanks :smile:
I should rep you someday :p:

actually it IS affecting my revision :s: which is pretty crap but hopefully they'll answer soon :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending