The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes. For example, about a third of Eton's kids get into Oxbridge, yet only 1 kid from my sixth form (out of about 300) got into Oxbridge. So, indirectly buying entry - of course they are. Just not illegally.
Reply 3
You've already posted a thread in regards to buying entry into LSE, which your friends apparently told you was possible.

I suggest you find some new friends, as they are morons.

You cannot buy entry into a good university, and even if you did it would probably cost millions. The tangible and in-tangible costs if 'bought entry' became public in this day and age would be much higher then you could ever afford.
Reply 4
I know someone who's parents donated an entire building for one of the colleges at Cambridge--it offers quite luxurious accommodation; all ensuite rooms I think.

And no he did not get into Cambridge because of this.
Reply 5
necessarily benevolent
Yes. For example, about a third of Eton's kids get into Oxbridge, yet only 1 kid from my sixth form (out of about 300) got into Oxbridge. So, indirectly buying entry - of course they are. Just not illegally.

did it not even cross your mind that boys from eton might actually be clever and deserve a place at oxbridge?!?!!?!?!?
Sprite
did it not even cross your mind that boys from eton might actually be clever and deserve a place at oxbridge?!?!!?!?!?

Where did I say they didn't? :confused: It's just that where your school's average at A level is something like AAB, ours is probably CCC. I'm simply saying that can't all be down to intelligence. When I first came to my school there were loads of people I thought were capable of straight As, but the school did nothing to utilise that.
Reply 7
necessarily benevolent
Where did I say they didn't? :confused:

you said that they were indirectly buying entry. Boys at Eton are naturally clever and i have no doubt that if the third of boys who got into oxbridge had gone to state schools all of their lives then almost all of them would have still been accepted into oxbridge
Sprite
you said that they were indirectly buying entry. Boys at Eton are naturally clever and i have no doubt that if the third of boys who got into oxbridge had gone to state schools all of their lives then almost all of them would have still been accepted into oxbridge

No. I don't agree. The "naturally intelligent" are severely let down by the state system (meaning, were they at Eton AAA would almost be certain; at mine they'd be lucky to get ABB - which is, of course, below Oxbridge standards). That's why it's stupid universities **** over A levels so much - they don't actually prove anything. Someone getting ABB from a state school would flourish just at well as a top 10 uni as someone getting AAA from a big independent.
Reply 9
Sprite

What a sweeping, pompous generalization you make there.

So all boys at Eton are naturally clever, and not just gifted in the fact that their daddies have massive bank accounts?

What you claim is utter nonsense, I know somebody from Eton who ended up at Middlesex. I'm not disrespecting Middlesex, but you can hardly imply that all Etonians end up at the top universities.
Reply 10
necessarily benevolent
No. I don't agree. The "naturally intelligent" are severely let down by the state system (meaning, were they at Eton AAA would almost be certain; at mine they'd be lucky to get ABB - which is, of course, below Oxbridge standards). That's why it's stupid universities **** over A levels so much - they don't actually prove anything. Someone getting ABB from a state school would flourish just as well as a top 10 uni than someone getting AAA from a big independent.

I understand your point but I am not sure how much diffrence the end grades would be.
Of course they may be let down by their state school not offering further maths for example but I don't believe that their end grades will be affected
Sprite

no, no their parents are rich.
Just to say, my school is apparently "selective" meaning it takes the best kids on the island from the ****** other state schools here. So, they are all rather intelligent, but have just been let down to a degree. Were they at Eton, it would almost certainly make the difference between BBB and AAA.
Reply 13
Sprite
I understand your point but I am not sure how much diffrence the end grades would be.
Of course they may be let down by their state school not offering further maths for example but I don't believe that their end grades will be affected

then why do people pay the £25,000 a year then? ***** and giggles?
Reply 14
Sprite

eton boys are not naturally clever, i've met eton boys and some of them are as thick as planks. Being wealthy does not guarantee intelligence.
necessarily benevolent
No. I don't agree. The "naturally intelligent" are severely let down by the state system (meaning, were they at Eton AAA would almost be certain; at mine they'd be lucky to get ABB - which is, of course, below Oxbridge standards). That's why it's stupid universities **** over A levels so much - they don't actually prove anything. Someone getting ABB from a state school would flourish just at well as a top 10 uni as someone getting AAA from a big independent.

I agree with you but at the end of the day someone with natural ability ought to be able to get the grades regardless of whether they attend a state school or not because they should know how much work and effort they would need to put in to get there. Attending a private school just makes life a lot easier for them in terms of achieving those grades.

You can't blame the state for letting these 'intelligent' kids down. Although it's not ideal, life's your own, you make the best of the opportunities you're given, if you don't do that, don't blame others.
Sprite

Eton has a very difficult enterence exam.....
There is no link between money and intellegence......
Sprite

No chance. To get the same grades at a state school they would have to work significantly harder than they were doing at Eton. I'm not doubting some would do but to suggest that all of them would still be able to get in is ridiculous.
somemightsay
No chance. To get the same grades at a state school they would have to work significantly harder than they were doing at Eton. I'm not doubting some would do but to suggest that all of them would still be able to get in is ridiculous.

I don't agree. The main reason pupils at private schools do better is that they are in an atmosphere, among like-minded individuals, that is conducive to education and where it is normal to work hard. The paying parents don't have to (and won't) put up with disruption from other pupils. Consequently, pupils are more likely to achieve their academic potential. The idea that state school pupils suffer from bad teaching more than private school pupils is very overplayed.

Latest

Trending

Trending