The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Michelle598
There's a butchers and fish and chip shop on Burleigh Street, which is just down the side of the Grafton Centre.

Yeah, but that fish and chip shop is almost never open.
leala4628
Do you mind if i ask what krispy kremes are?

A 14 year-old's boxer shorts?
Reply 62
MC REN
It's only 10 mins walk away? Surely that counts as being within a 'reasonable distance', you can't have it both ways.

I don't think there is anything useful within 10 mins walk of where I am.
The 10 minute walk refers to the indecent Sainsburys, I believe, as opposed to Waitrose or Tesco. I think getting to Tesco on the bus is probably quicker but then the bus stop would not be outside Peterhouse (although because buying a return (I think) is the same as getting a dayrider, you could get two buses if you had that much shopping). You could even get one of them old-person shopping trolley things.

I know you've already said it's not practical for you, Craggy, but I thought I'd mention getting the bus to a supermarket because it might be for someone else.
Cambridge needs:

-More moorings for itinerant river gypsies
-A rowing shop to buy kit and stash
-A hardware shop in the centre of town- i.e. rip up Mackays and plonk it somewhere convenient. Like where Monsoon is or some other useless waste of space.
-Halfords in the centre of town to re-open
-It needs a "MR. SANDWICH" in the centre of town. There's one in York. Any baguette for £1! (Eleventy-one!)
-It needs LESS SODDING PEDESTRIANS WHEN I'M CYCLING
-It needs a Woolworths. Oh, damn...

It's interesting how my view, as I'm now a townie, is different to other peoples'. People are saying, "There's no supermarket other than Sainsbury's", but the Newmarket Road Tesco seems no distance. I go past the Coldham's Lane Sainsbury's often enough, and the Beehive Centre Asda is, to me, in the centre of town. But then, I'm used to getting the bus to Cherry Hinton every day to work, or cycling past Homerton and only being half way to work! Cambridge is, basically, five times larger in actual fact than I thought it was when I was a student!
Reply 64
FadeToBlackout
-It needs LESS SODDING PEDESTRIANS WHEN I'M CYCLING
It also needs fewer cyclists when I'm pedesting.
Lol! :rofl:
Supermerp
I know you've already said it's not practical for you, Craggy, but I thought I'd mention getting the bus to a supermarket because it might be for someone else.
I see - sensible enough :tongue:
MC REN
It's only 10 mins walk away? Surely that counts as being within a 'reasonable distance', you can't have it both ways.

I don't think there is anything useful within 10 mins walk of where I am.

What are you talking about? :eyeball:

The shop within a reasonable distance (Sainsburys) doesn't have the variety that I would like, hence comments about a bigger more central store being a nice idea.

Everything is less than 10mins walk from where I live. Ergo I do not have a bike, ergo it becomes time consuming to go anywhere outside of central Cambridge, ergo I only do so in holidays when I have the time to do so, and ergo I do not spend money on purchasing a bicycle that I'm unlikely to use any more than twice a term.

I do go to the Grafton and Mill road on foot occasionally in term, but this is usually for small purchases, not a huge mass of groceries that would be difficult/painful to carry far.
Also I sometimes walk to Fitz or somewhere for social reasons, but all of these things happen too infrequently to make bike purchase necessary.
The river completely skews my sense of distance perception - I see Tescos and Chesterton as 'in town' and Waterbeach as 'pretty damn close'.
- A university sports centre
- I used to say a Woolworths, but obviously not now!
- A Burger King practically opposite Cindies how they used to
- A juice/smoothie bar
- Krispy Kremes
- Another set of bowling alleys. Maybe an ice rink.
- A music venue smaller than The Junction and Corn Exchange. The Graduate was good when it was under the 'Barfly' name but it's gone back to normal now I think.
- Wilkinsons
- An Oceana nightclub
- Maybe an SU bar like they have in Hollyoaks, in addition to our college bars etc.
Reply 68
Sports centre and ice rink would be awesome.
More money for sports.
A proper chippers, possibly in the area thats currently being developed by Cindies - up the stairs.
Some way of making the train station not 20 mins walk away.
Fewer geeky types, and more outgoing fun people.
A mahal/curry king type establishment that serves decent food and lets you cause carnage.
Somewhere that sells biltong.
Move Jesters from Southampton up to Cambridge. £4 quadvods - mental.
Reply 69
leala4628
Do you mind if i ask what krispy kremes are?

Donuts! :smile:
(I like them to the extent that I normally buy about a dozen at Heathrow to bring home each time I fly home... the nearest one to Cambridge is at Stansted. :frown:)

And reading through some of the previous posts... I'd like an Ikea too! Unfortunately that's probably not likely to happen...
mfb3000
Somewhere that sells biltong
It wouldn't surprise me if Mill road had it somewhere.
mfb3000
Fewer geeky types, and more outgoing fun people.

Are you actually from SA? I left the country to get away from people like you :dry:
Reply 71
FadeToBlackout

-A hardware shop in the centre of town- i.e. rip up Mackays and plonk it somewhere convenient. Like where Monsoon is or some other useless waste of space.

This.

Supermerp
It also needs fewer cyclists when I'm pedesting.

I concur with this also
Reply 72
FadeToBlackout

ukebert
This.

I have a feeling some of the girls of Cambridge may have some objections to this! Ok, it's not a cheap 'student' shop, but nice if you need something more special.
How about 'plonking' it where that kitchen shop has just closed near Sainsbury's? (Edit:actually I think it's closer to the Union) A whole lot more sensible than replacing a lovely shope with nuts and bolts :p:
Reply 73
Craghyrax
Are you actually from SA? I left the country to get away from people like you :dry:

my grandparents left to get away from the blacks. no joke.
Chewwy
my grandparents left to get away from the blacks. no joke.

Unfortunate
Reply 75
elle_fairy
I have a feeling some of the girls of Cambridge may have some objections to this! Ok, it's not a cheap 'student' shop, but nice if you need something more special.
How about 'plonking' it where that kitchen shop has just closed near Sainsbury's? (Edit:actually I think it's closer to the Union) A whole lot more sensible than replacing a lovely shope with nuts and bolts :p:

Ooh, sexism! Girls can buy tools too :yes:

This is mainly because I wanted to buy a small screwdriver and the only place in town that I could find was Maplin, which is stupidly expensive :dry: I ended up using a precision screwdriver with pliers.
Reply 76
ukebert
Ooh, sexism! Girls can buy tools too :yes:

This is mainly because I wanted to buy a small screwdriver and the only place in town that I could find was Maplin, which is stupidly expensive :dry: I ended up using a precision screwdriver with pliers.

:yep: But if you read my post again, I didn't actually say that girls didn't want a hardware shop, just that girls didn't want to lose Monsoon (which isn't sexist since the Cambridge one doesn't actually sell mens' clothes :p:
Tbh I'd far prefer a practical hardware/homeware shop instead of Monsoon! If central Cambridge has enough of anything its pricy clothes shops. They could move the Monsoon to Grafton or somewhere and put some actually useful shops in the centre for a change!
Reply 78
a hardware shop would be great. I'd put it in the place of one of the cafe neros because two within yards of each other is unnecessary.
Reply 79
elle_fairy
:yep: But if you read my post again, I didn't actually say that girls didn't want a hardware shop, just that girls didn't want to lose Monsoon (which isn't sexist since the Cambridge one doesn't actually sell mens' clothes :p:

Ah, that is more forgiveable :smile: Although why one would value a clothes shop over a hardware store I cannot comprehend :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending