The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
M@255
Helenia - do you know Kathryn Griffin? She does Medicine at St John's.

Just wondered lol

No, I'm afraid not - I only know a couple of the John's medics in my year, and that's it. That and assorted members of the red scum boat club :p:
Reply 21
puppy
Don't worry, we'll lend you some bits of sack to throw over them in winter to keep them warm. Don't worry, you can always replace the diamonds with Swarovski crystals.

Don't your serfs needs the sack for clothing?
Reply 22
svidrigailov
Don't your serfs needs the sack for clothing?

No, they'll be dressed in your ponies' pashminas. We look after our serfs here. A pashmina and a shiny penny everyday.
Reply 23
puppy
No, they'll be dressed in your ponies' pashminas. We look after our serfs here. A pashmina and a shiny penny everyday.

Banter! Back your chat.
Reply 24
svidrigailov
You have to study both at Cambridge.

The academics interests of the classicists at your college will often influence the direction you take in your degree, and the books, materials, &c. available in the library. King's, John's, and Trinity each have at least two fairly distinguished professors in Classics (e. g., Goldhill & Henderson at King's, Sedley at Trinity, Schofield and Horrocks at John's), as well as various other lecturers, readers, &c. The smaller colleges generally have no professors at all, and in some cases your DoS, for instance, might be a recent graduate. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but at the larger colleges you have a greater body of experience and knowledge to draw on, as it were.

Oh; mixing up Cambridge and Oxford!

Thanks for the advice, but are you doing the 3 or 4 year course? I'd need to do the 4 year one because i will only have A level classical civilization and GCSE Greek when i apply but i wanna know if it's really as good as it seems or if the workload is ridiculous. Any more pearls of wisdom?
Reply 25
svidrigailov
Banter! Back your chat.

Boring! You always say that. More pony banter I say, more!
Reply 26
Euripides

Thanks for the advice, but are you doing the 3 or 4 year course? I'd need to do the 4 year one because i will only have A level classical civilization and GCSE Greek when i apply but i wanna know if it's really as good as it seems or if the workload is ridiculous. Any more pearls of wisdom?

Four year course; the work load is ridiculously light in the first year, if anything. Four classes a week, two (more or less optional) lectures; two set texts for the exams, two for a coursework portfolio. In the second year it's entirely different; far too much work. I think the balance is a little better at Oxford.
Reply 27
Euripides

Yeah, here's a pearl of wisdom for you; don't do the 4 year Classics course at Cambridge.
Reply 28
puppy
Boring! You always say that. More pony banter I say, more!

My pony OD'd alas. Over-diamonded. Perhaps if I crush up some pearls and mix them into some wine it'll revive him.
Reply 29
svidrigailov
Four year course; the work load is ridiculously light in the first year, if anything. Four classes a week, two (more or less optional) lectures; two set texts for the exams, two for a coursework portfolio. In the second year it's entirely different; far too much work. I think the balance is a little better at Oxford.

Well you do Latin in the first year then take up Greek - I'm doing Greek now so should be lighter?

I don't mind classics hard-work it's just other subects which i have no interest in which i don't like working hard at :p:

puppy
Yeah, here's a pearl of wisdom for you; don't do the 4 year Classics course at Cambridge.

Why? You speak from experience?
Reply 30
svidrigailov
My pony OD'd alas. Over-diamonded. Perhaps if I crush up some pearls and mix them into some wine it'll revive him.

Oh dear, I had a similar problem, his gilded hoof fell off so I replaced it with a diamond the size of my head. The pony couldn't walk very well but it looked amazing. I left him in front of John's so you paupers could marvel at our glorious riches and academic might.
Reply 31
Euripides
Well you do Latin in the first year then take up Greek - I'm doing Greek now so should be lighter?

I don't mind classics hard-work it's just other subects which i have no interest in which i don't like working hard at :p:

Why? You speak from experience?

Yes, I'm also on the 4yr course, at Trinity
Reply 32
puppy
Oh dear, I had a similar problem, his gilded hoof fell off so I replaced it with a diamond the size of my head. The pony couldn't walk very well but it looked amazing. I left him in front of John's so you paupers could marvel at our glorious riches and academic might.

Oh yes, I thought I saw a pony with severe diamond-encrustation dragging its dazzling hoof along the cobbles.
Reply 33
svidrigailov
Oh yes, I thought I saw a pony with severe diamond-encrustation dragging its dazzling hoof along the cobbles.

Had him put down last week- encrustalitis. Had another pony die of pashmina asphyxiation last year- just as well my daddy's rich enough to buy plenty.
Reply 34
puppy
Yes, I'm also on the 4yr course, at Trinity

Why do you say don't do it? You got me worried now...
Reply 35
puppy
Had him put down last week- encrustalitis. Had another pony die of pashmina asphyxiation last year- just as well my daddy's rich enough to buy plenty.

At least it didn't fall off a bridge.
Reply 36
Euripides
Why do you say don't do it? You got me worried now...

Nah, it's not that bad. It's very daunting being expected to learn all of Latin syntax and morphology in about 6 months, but hey, you deal. It is quite interesting. Don't be put off, even if the first year is a bit of a struggle (and boring at the same time- don't know how they managed that) then you start with the first year 3yr Classicists the next year so you end up on the 'real' Classics course eventually.

Tip: try not to believe everything the faculty says- seek help from people who've done the 4yr course before you. They often recommend you books that you either don't need or that aren't the best available.
Reply 37
puppy
Tip: try not to believe everything the faculty says- seek help from people who've done the 4yr course before you. They often recommend you books that you either don't need or that aren't the best available.

Tell me about it. Wasted a fortune on useless editions of everything.
Reply 38
svidrigailov
At least it didn't fall off a bridge.

You win, I can't top that. You are the banter king.
Reply 39
puppy
You win, I can't top that. You are the banter king.

In-jokes are great.

Latest

Trending

Trending