The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Postgraduate Accommodation

Hi all,

I'm an international student doing my masters in Medieval and Early Modern Studies 2022/23. Most of the college pages seem to be geared towards information for undergraduates and coming from the other side of the world, it's really hard to make a decision about preferences without even seeing a photo of the building that postgrads are housed in. St. Chad's seems to have the most comprehensive website but even so, their postgrad info page is marked as a guide for 21/22.

At the moment I am most interested in St. Chad's, St. Mary's, St. John's and St. Cuth's. If anyone has any more info about postgrad accommodation in any of these colleges I would greatly appreciate it! Failing that, tell me about postgrad accomm in any other college - I might reconsider somewhere else with more information!

Disclaimer: I am very aware it's hard to get a room at college as a postgrad and trying hard to find other options also!
Hi! It seems like we’re on the same boat. I’m a postgraduate law student and have substantially the same college preferences as you do.

St. Chad’s seems to be really attractive and I put it as my first pref (no worries we’ll not be in the same pool anyway haha), followed by Mary’s and Castle. I wanted to put John’s in but I’m not too into shared bathrooms. I’m prioritising to the variety of student activities, formals, catering and en-suite options.

Ustinov seems to have a pretty lively postgrad community so ”older” people like us can have a more tranquil life.

I secured private accommodation in the city centre so in case I screwed up college accommodation options, I still get a place to live. It seems to be the only and safest step to take.

Feel free to PM me!
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by belros3
Hi all,

I'm an international student doing my masters in Medieval and Early Modern Studies 2022/23. Most of the college pages seem to be geared towards information for undergraduates and coming from the other side of the world, it's really hard to make a decision about preferences without even seeing a photo of the building that postgrads are housed in. St. Chad's seems to have the most comprehensive website but even so, their postgrad info page is marked as a guide for 21/22.

At the moment I am most interested in St. Chad's, St. Mary's, St. John's and St. Cuth's. If anyone has any more info about postgrad accommodation in any of these colleges I would greatly appreciate it! Failing that, tell me about postgrad accomm in any other college - I might reconsider somewhere else with more information!

Disclaimer: I am very aware it's hard to get a room at college as a postgrad and trying hard to find other options also!

Original post by Raphael_23
Hi! It seems like we’re on the same boat. I’m a postgraduate law student and have substantially the same college preferences as you do.

St. Chad’s seems to be really attractive and I put it as my first pref (no worries we’ll not be in the same pool anyway haha), followed by Mary’s and Castle. I wanted to put John’s in but I’m not too into shared bathrooms. I’m prioritising to the variety of student activities, formals, catering and en-suite options.

Ustinov seems to have a pretty lively postgrad community so ”older” people like us can have a more tranquil life.

I secured private accommodation in the city centre so in case I screwed up college accommodation options, I still get a place to live. It seems to be the only and safest step to take.

Feel free to PM me!

Hi there

Ustinov is the only exclusively postgraduate college so if you want to be around other postgrad then I'd recommend choosing that. In most other colleges, there are very less postgrad rooms available so I'd definitely put Ustinov as one of the choices in case the others are full.

I'm not very aware of the postgrad accom in the specific colleges but you could maybe email each college and they can share tailored information with you. This is a general email: [email protected] and webpage.

St Chads: [email protected]
St Marys: [email protected]
St Johns: [email protected]; [email protected]
Cuths: [email protected]
Castle: [email protected]

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Reply 3
Hi, don't worry about your college choices. Put in a choice based on what you're generally looking for from college. You meet some great people who may not be from your course/field at all. Ustinov is a safe choice of course. St Mary's is fully catered. Cuths is nice but does not have an MCR? (99% sure). As a Postgrad, I'd say look for colleges with an MCR. But you'll always meet people, even if it's a bit different to what you imagined!
Original post by belros3
Hi all,

Reply 4
Original post by ev78
Hi, don't worry about your college choices. Put in a choice based on what you're generally looking for from college. You meet some great people who may not be from your course/field at all. Ustinov is a safe choice of course. St Mary's is fully catered. Cuths is nice but does not have an MCR? (99% sure). As a Postgrad, I'd say look for colleges with an MCR. But you'll always meet people, even if it's a bit different to what you imagined!

Thanks for this :smile: I ended doing as you suggest - put down the colleges I liked best :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

Ustinov is the only exclusively postgraduate college so if you want to be around other postgrad then I'd recommend choosing that. In most other colleges, there are very less postgrad rooms available so I'd definitely put Ustinov as one of the choices in case the others are full.

I'm not very aware of the postgrad accom in the specific colleges but you could maybe email each college and they can share tailored information with you. This is a general email: [email protected] and webpage.

St Chads: [email protected]
St Marys: [email protected]
St Johns: [email protected]; [email protected]
Cuths: [email protected]
Castle: [email protected]

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Thanks for your help!
Reply 6
If you end up coming, let me know! I'm always on the lookout for new friends! :smile:
Original post by belros3
Thanks for this :smile: I ended doing as you suggest - put down the colleges I liked best :smile:
Original post by Raphael_23

Feel free to PM me!

Hi did you achieve a 2:1 for your undergrad to get into law Durham postgrad ? What was your plan after that - I’m worried that doing a masters is pointless if i don’t do the Sqe rather just combine my masters with Sqe

Quick Reply

Latest