The Student Room Group
The only exams that 'count' are the ones at the end of the year in May. No not that many people fail first year - roughly 10%. 2% of the whole year roughly fail twice and are asked to leave...

How to approach the modules - well worry about that when you get here!
Reply 2
In the first year there are four main forms of assessment:

EMQ - Extended matching questions, multiple choice i.e. which of the following are true
SBA - Single best answer, multiple choice which is the most likely scenario
MEQ - Modified essay questions, on all aspects including medical sociology!
OSPE - Things like annotating diagrams etc.

You have formative assessments, usually MCQs after each module and then a bigger one with all four types in February. But these don't count for anything. You have to pass all modules in the summer in one sitting. One chance to resit.
Summed up well by the two above post.
Reply 4
Hey whats the new integrated curriculum like?

I have to give a presentation to 1st year students, do they even know anything yet?
Reply 5
Wild_Precious_Life
Could someone please explain how UCL medics are assessed? Do many people fail the first year? What is the best advice on how to approach the modules? Any advice would be appreciated. My sister is in her first year there and I thought it might be of some help to her.

Doesn't your sister think that this will all be explained to her in great depth when she gets there? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Why does nobody go to RFUCMS anymore? :frown:
Renal
Why does nobody go to RFUCMS anymore? :frown:

Same reason why no-one goes to GKT or SGHMS anymore...
Reply 8
pianofingers
I know plenty of people who go, or went to, both of those schools. I know plenty of people who went to RFUCMS too, but the kids these days don't seem to care. :frown:
Renal
I know plenty of people who go, or went to, both of those schools. I know plenty of people who went to RFUCMS too, but the kids these days don't seem to care. :frown:

*drinks to the memory of med schools past*
MichaelZ
Hey whats the new integrated curriculum like?

I have to give a presentation to 1st year students, do they even know anything yet?

What new integrated curriculum?
Reply 11
pianofingers

If that was true, I wouldn't be there and nor would the other 350 plus other people in 2 year.

I think TSR is just under-representive of these medschools.
Renal

I know... I just hope we don't eventually become "Royal Holloway's Medical School" too...
frodo21
If that was true, I wouldn't be there and nor would the other 350 plus other people in 2 year.

I think TSR is just under-representive of these medschools.

That's not what we meant...

The London medical schools were known by names encompassing their key teaching hospitals until they all underwent rebranding after they merged with their nearest universities:

RFUCMS (Royal Free and University College Medical School) has changed to UCL Medical School

GKT (Guy's, King's and St. Thomas's) has changed to KCLMS

SGHMS (St. George's Hospital Medical School) has changed to SGUL (St. George's University of London) as they felt it'd be more appropriate seeing as they started doing more than just medicine, and will no doubt change again when they merge with Royal Holloway

What I meant was that no-one considers themselves by the former names anymore (do people say they're at King's or at GKT?), not that no-one goes to these medical schools lol, of course people go there!

By the way, the mantra in your signature is very similar to my mantra for this year haha :wink:
pianofingers
That's not what we meant...

The London medical schools were known by names encompassing their key teaching hospitals until they all underwent rebranding after they merged with their nearest universities:

RFUCMS (Royal Free and University College Medical School) has changed to UCL Medical School

GKT (Guy's, King's and St. Thomas's) has changed to KCLMS

SGHMS (St. George's Hospital Medical School) has changed to SGUL (St. George's University of London) as they felt it'd be more appropriate seeing as they started doing more than just medicine, and will no doubt change again when they merge with Royal Holloway

What I meant was that no-one considers themselves by the former names anymore (do people say they're at King's or at GKT?), not that no-one goes to these medical schools lol, of course people go there!

By the way, the mantra in your signature is very similar to my mantra for this year haha :wink:

Seems like only Barts and the London is proud of its heritage :teeth:
Reply 15
digitalis
Seems like only Barts and the London is proud of its heritage :teeth:
Disagree - look at how many people think they go to 'Barts'.

Latest

Trending

Trending