The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking, but if you get BBC instead of BBB, you might be okay and still get in. Quite a lot of people get away with being one grade out. Don't bank on it, though, it depends on the course and university.
Reply 2
That was basically what i was asking yeah :smile:
Reply 3
here's a hint - if they're accepting CCD then it's not really a BBC course.

Ignore what they advertise their courses at - it's a bit of a game. If they show what grades they are willing to accept then better students will look at the university and go "hm, I think I'll fit in better elsewhere". Not all universitys do this but it's worth looking for signs that a university does. (IE average A level grades Vs advertised requirements)
Reply 4
RyanT
here's a hint - if they're accepting CCD then it's not really a BBC course.

Ignore what they advertise their courses at - it's a bit of a game. If they show what grades they are willing to accept then better students will look at the university and go "hm, I think I'll fit in better elsewhere". Not all universitys do this but it's worth looking for signs that a university does. (IE average A level grades Vs advertised requirements)

me is confuzzled :s-smilie:
How do you mean mate?
Reply 5
Birmingham can be very nice with what I've heard. But if on results day they get enough people, you have no chance. It completely depends from year to year.
Maybe those courses were just really undersubscribed?
avfcalex
me is confuzzled :s-smilie:
How do you mean mate?

They mean that the grades you see on the prospectus/online isn't neccesarily what they expect/will accept. For example a decent university i.e Liverpool, may ask for BBB for a course, but in reality they'll take someone who gets BCC. They don't want to advertise the course as being a BCC course because it makes the department look weak, and undersubscribed.

Bear in mind this can work both ways - some unis, particulary those with high applicant:tongue:lace numbers will advertise a course as having a lower standard offer, than what they're actually expecting. A good example would be some Law departments i.e LSE and Bristol, where standard offer is presented as AAB, but in reality you need to be at least predicted AAA to stand a chance. In this case a university ends up looking more popular/competitive, than in reality it is.
Reply 8
ninety_nine
They mean that the grades you see on the prospectus/online isn't neccesarily what they expect/will accept. For example a decent university i.e Liverpool, may ask for BBB for a course, but in reality they'll take someone who gets BCC. They don't want to advertise the course as being a BCC course because it makes the department look weak, and undersubscribed.

Bear in mind this can work both ways - some unis, particulary those with high applicant:tongue:lace numbers will advertise a course as having a lower standard offer, than what they're actually expecting. A good example would be some Law departments i.e LSE and Bristol, where standard offer is presented as AAB, but in reality you need to be at least predicted AAA to stand a chance. In this case a university ends up looking more popular/competitive, than in reality it is.

Okay, got you. Well Liverpool i have got an offer for, And not sure whether i will get BBB, maybe BBC so we'll have to wait and see. That makes perfect sense though, cheers.
Some universities deliberately increase their requirements in the hop to attract 'better' students to raise their own profile. I used to want to study law and a few years ago Westminster asked for ABC at the time but I came across people who got in with lower grades than that. Conversely, some universities deliberately lower their grade requirements to annoy their own admissions staff and to use it for applications: places ratio even the no-hopers are included.

Latest

Trending

Trending