The Student Room Group

General Studies for medicine!!!

Ok, I know it's not required, but I did AS General Studies last year and got a D. Shall I retake it, because afterall, this is medicine course that we're talking about and as we know it's very very competitive. Or do you think that the unis wont care about gs and my grades would be AABBd (or AAABd)?

I'm currently in year 13 and taking a gap year before reapplying to medicine.
I know it will just add to my workload along with my four other A2-levels, but I guess I would just have to deal with it.

Thanks folks!
Reply 1
They wont care, dont retake it.
Reply 2
Quite a few universities disregard general studies anyway.. So it's up to you. Do you want to do it for self-esteem? Or do you not really care and don't want the additional hassle? It's really up to you. Perhaps email the universities you are thinking of applying to and ask them if they'd be ok with a D in the subject.

Muni.
xx
Reply 3
Surely GS isn't that much hassel? You don't even take lessons in it do you? well at least we didn't at my 6th form, we just turned up to the exam :tongue:. But i don't think it's important anyway, just don't include it on your application...
Reply 4
modini
Surely GS isn't that much hassel? You don't even take lessons in it do you? well at least we didn't at my 6th form, we just turned up to the exam :tongue:. But i don't think it's important anyway, just don't include it on your application...

well we HAVE to declare our grades and add it to our UCAS, don't we?

Edit: And to my suprise I got a really low mark in science and maths questions, although I do A-level sciences and maths...and I thought that was the easiest paper....:frown:
Reply 5
Don't bother retaking it.

There's far more beneficial things you can do to your application with your time.
Reply 6
well we HAVE to declare our grades and add it to our UCAS, don't we?

Edit: And to my suprise I got a really low mark in science and maths questions, although I do A-level sciences and maths...and I thought that was the easiest paper....:frown:

Hmm :s-smilie: . Well I didn't declare my GS grade on my application this cycle because I know most med schools don't take it into account. But if you want to retake it by all means do :smile:
You could retake it just to bump up the grade and it wouldn't be any hassle as I don't think you'd need extra lessons for it.

But in all honesty, no medical schools consider it anymore. Sheffield and Liverpool were the only ones that did (Sheffield at A2 and Liverpool to AS) but I think they stopped now so it ain't worth bothering with tbh.
Reply 8
No one cares about general studies. I would never pay £20 (or however much it is these days) to retake a module in a subject that isn't even considered on par with my others.
Reply 9
If you don't cash in the modules you don't have to declare them if I remember rightly.
terpineol
If you don't cash in the modules you don't have to declare them if I remember rightly.

Thats the impression i get from the UCAS site, it says, all awards that are "cashed in" MUST be declared on the form.

This implies that ones that arent certified and never will be arent needed on your application.

Latest

Trending

Trending