The Student Room Group
Biology and Chemistry are needed. Other two.. Physics and Maths would probably be best, Physics at least.
Reply 2
Chemistry is NEEDED plus one other subject (preferablly and more commonly Biology).

The 3rd option is usually between physics and maths.
The 4th option should add variety to your application (e.g: a language or essay based subject).

But most importantly, work experience will make you a stronger candidate. Make sure you go out and get some.
Reply 3
Hamz_m
Thanks for that... but just wondering weather thats suited to imperial's medicine requirements?

As long as you get 4A's, have work experience, have a good personal statement and a good reference (and maybe do well in an interview) then you should be fine.
Reply 4
JayAyy
As long as you get 4A's, have work experience, have a good personal statement and a good reference (and maybe do well in an interview) then you should be fine.

Thank you very much.
Reply 5
Hamz_m
Thank you very much.

No problem.
Reply 6
Biology and Chem.

2 from Maths/Phy/His/Eng/Geo/Languages/Politics/probably missed a few out.
Reply 7
Maybe you should try asking the medicine subforum, you'll probably get more responses and there will be people can advise you about imperial specifically

But anyway I don't even think you have to do 4 A2s, I think most medicine courses give AAB offers plus you need as much time as possible for extra-curriculars/work experience/volunteering....Just about everyone applying has the grades, you need to be able to demonstrate that you'll be a good doctor , that you know what being a doctor entails, and that you have a life outside of studying..

Edit: plus I think there are courses that you don't need A2 biology for, but I might be wrong (I don't do A levels)
I don't really understand why they say you don't need Biology for medicine (and other medically related degrees), I mean won't you end up finding medicine mega difficult? A level Biology goes into quite a lot of deatil, and I assume medicine just picks up from that and goes into even more deatil :/
Reply 9
apparently you can catch up with the biology side stuff with few extra lectures in the first year or something..but it's still good to have it though~
Reply 10
Hamz_m
Hey guys, i've been looking up various things for medicine requirements, but i'm slightly confused about the A/AS/A2 levels you need to study medicine.Does anybody know what you need to study it? Preferably, could you tell me the realistic A levels you need to study med at imperial college london? Thanks :smile:

here are the A level requirements for medical schools
Waterstorm
Biology and Chemistry are needed. Other two.. Physics and Maths would probably be best, Physics at least.

Why why why would you say this?
Alex L
Why why why would you say this?

Cause medicine is very sciencey?

Or if not, just Bio and Chem then :rolleyes:
Waterstorm
Cause medicine is very sciencey?

Or if not, just Bio and Chem then :rolleyes:

And you'd know that. As an applicant.
Alex L
And you'd know that. As an applicant.

So you're saying most of it isn't to do with science?
Reply 15
Waterstorm
So you're saying most of it isn't to do with science?

What he's saying is that very few medical schools require more than 2 sciences, and that the majority don't insist on both biology and chemistry

And no, it isn't all about science
Hygeia
What he's saying is that very few medical schools require more than 2 sciences, and that the majority don't insist on both biology and chemistry

And no, it isn't all about science

Thank you :smile:
Waterstorm

Sorry if I was blunt there boss, I'm having a ****** day and need to vent :rant:

(But as an aside, physics and maths are by no means essential :wink:)
Okay, fair enough. I just assumed if you did physics and maths over something like psychology and geography it would look more attractive. But meh.
Waterstorm
Okay, fair enough. I just assumed if you did physics and maths over something like psychology and geography it would look more attractive. But meh.

Not necessarily, a lot of medical schools like people to have a non-science subject, and I know a surprising number of students here who did psychology.

Not that doing the subjects you listed is a bad thing, they were my A levels, its just that they aren't the only subjects that go well with a medical application.

Latest

Trending

Trending