The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
if they start throwin their weight around NATO would put them in their place.
Reply 61
Bateman
yes, why not.

Well, it seems fair.
Reply 62
FyreFight
Enough weaponry to kill a few thousand? Have you any idea of the size of the US arsenal?

yes i do.

short of carpet bombing the north, it is very difficult to kill THAT many of anyone, heck, even if they lined up 1,500,000 soldiers shoulder to shoulder it wouldn't be easy.

now if these 1.5 million soldiers are hiding in huge tunnel networks metres underground and never emerge outside it would be even more difficult, and if they have chemical, nuclear and biological weapons, and if they have learnt that the USA in unwilling to kill civilians and so might mix in with them.

and then after you defeat the nk government, you have a 1.whatevers-left-of-the-army million insurgency.
and then theres the approx 4.7 million strong Red Guard militia.

having said that, they do only officially have a budget of $6billion. LOL. and its debateable how many would bother fighting.

anyway my point is that 1.5/6.2 million of ANYONE is a tall order using conventional weapons.
Reply 63
butthead7
if they start throwin their weight around NATO would put them in their place.

Oh, yes...don't want to **** around with the mighty Nato....
Reply 64
Aramiss18
becuase it will kill more innocent civilians than combatants:mad:

It was a sarcastic comment lol.
Bateman
:sigh: vietnam, iraq, afghanistan x 2, etc. are examples of asymetrical warfare. Northkorea won't get defeated after decades of war.

If they tried to invade NK, then yes, you're correct - but I don't see why this would be the assumption here. I suspect that it would be an Israel-on-Iran style series of tactical strikes by the US, Japan and S.Korean jets and navies to destroy NK's ability to launch much of anything without ever stepping a boot on N.Korean soil. The only border they'd need to defend would be the tiny DMZ with S.Korea which most likely just the S.Korean and US troops stationed there could do well enough. Basically, there'd be no need to occupy N.Korea - all they need to do is nullify its offensive capacity. Now, I daresay it wouldn't be as simple as Israel-on-Iran as Israel's intelligence system in Iran was considerably more advanced that what the West has in N.Korea I imagine, but still, I don't think there'd be any need at all to occupy.
Reply 66
loafer
yes i do.

short of carpet bombing the north, it is very difficult to kill THAT many of anyone, heck, even if they lined up 1,500,000 soldiers shoulder to shoulder it wouldn't be easy.

now if these 1.5 million soldiers are hiding in huge tunnel networks metres underground and never emerge outside it would be even more difficult, and if they have chemical, nuclear and biological weapons, and if they have learnt that the USA in unwilling to kill civilians and so might mix in with them.

and then after you defeat the nk government, you have a 1.whatevers-left-of-the-army million insurgency.

having said that, they do only officially have a budget of $6billion. LOL. and its debateable how many would bother fighting.

anyway my point is that 1.5/6.2 million of ANYONE is a tall order using conventional weapons.

yeah, and who would let their country do that?

who the **** has the right to kill 6 million people because you don't agree with them.

If south korea attacks north korea, i hope north korea ***** them up, i seriously do, not because i patriculary support the oppressing government of north korea, but because i dislike what America has done in korea, in afghanistan, in the middle east, in eastern europe, in south america, in africa etc. etc.
Reply 67
I really doubt the US would get involved.
Reply 68
Bateman
yeah, and who would let their country do that?

who the **** has the right to kill 6 million people because you don't agree with them.

If south korea attacks north korea, i hope north korea ***** them up, i seriously do, not because i patriculary support the oppressing government of north korea, but because i dislike what America has done in korea, in afghanistan, in the middle east, in eastern europe, in south america, in africa etc. etc.

The opinions expressed above are not representative of Loafer, Loafer neither agrees with or endorses the quoted commentary above.
Reply 69
I thought Japan was never going to go to war again after WWII?
loafer
what can the US do to kill 1.5 million of anyone, barring unconventional weapons? missiles and planes might kill maybe a few thousand. how do you kill the rest?

imo any war with NK would be extremely tough, who would break the rules of war first..

ED: if they want to kill lots of NKs perhaps they should overthrow KJI and create a democracy :ninja:

Demoralise them...forcing them to surrender.

I doubt that all the 1.5million soldiers are half as fanaticle as the administration would like.

Bateman
lmao, there is no difference between them. The insurgents in iraq are calling themselves the islamic army of iraq.

The only difference is the tactics they use and if those tactics are better then north korea will use them.

And how would an army of 1.5million conduct succesful guerrilla warfare? :rolleyes:

Not to mention the fact that they would eventually run out of resources anyway.

Jingers
I thought Japan was never going to go to war again after WWII?

They are not allowed to beliigerants..but they can act defensivvly (Which they would be if they got declared war upon).

But anyways...constitutions can change - I am willing to bet that people would be in support of it if North Korea started to become overtly agressive in terms of military ventures.
Reply 71
CyclopsRock
If they tried to invade NK, then yes, you're correct - but I don't see why this would be the assumption here. I suspect that it would be an Israel-on-Iran style series of tactical strikes by the US, Japan and S.Korean jets and navies to destroy NK's ability to launch much of anything without ever stepping a boot on N.Korean soil. The only border they'd need to defend would be the tiny DMZ with S.Korea which most likely just the S.Korean and US troops stationed there could do well enough. Basically, there'd be no need to occupy N.Korea - all they need to do is nullify its offensive capacity. Now, I daresay it wouldn't be as simple as Israel-on-Iran as Israel's intelligence system in Iran was considerably more advanced that what the West has in N.Korea I imagine, but still, I don't think there'd be any need at all to occupy.

why does everyone think it's so easy, north korea has thousands of ballistic missiles, they will strike back, they can easily invade south korea.

And wtf do you know about Israel-Iran strikes? Israel is not going to commit suicide, there are 80 nuclear facilities located deep within Iran, most of them near mountains, heavily guarded with air defence systems. An attack on Iran wouldn't be in Americas interests. By the way, what "Israel intelligence" are you on about, everyone knew where Irans nuclear facilities are lol, it wasn't the location of the facilities that were secret.

Now that you have brought up Iran though, a war with north korea would mean that Iran will be free to get nukes, because america would have to intervene and they have already ruled out military action on Iran, how the **** are they going to stop Iran when they are going to be involved in three wars?
Reply 72
SomeNextPirate

And how would an army of 1.5million conduct succesful guerrilla warfare? :rolleyes:

lmao, you clearly know nothing about warfare then, look at Irans army, we have 11-13 million guerilla fighters called basijs, and most of our army are trained in guerilla tactics.
Reply 73
loafer
The opinions expressed above are not representative of Loafer, Loafer neither agrees with or endorses the quoted commentary above.

wow, you are so original and hilarious:rolleyes:
Bateman
lmao, you clearly know nothing about warfare then, look at Irans army, we have 11-13 million guerilla fighters called basijs, and most of our army are trained in guerilla tactics.

Our Army won't be the main forces invovled. Ther Americans on the other hand - have proved time and time again that they operate best in 'conventional' warfare.

Besides N.Korea wouldn't repsond to invasion in that way, their army isn't trained in that way.

It wouldn't even factor into it until North Korea was defeated. As was teh case in Iraq.
Reply 75
loafer
yes i do.

they did it in the 'nam.

Im sure they would do it if they needed too again. they dont have enough soldiers for another proper war, or political and public will.

but the odds are practically 0. if nk was to do anything to japan i could imagine the us sending a carrier over and start flying its shiny jets over nk.
Reply 76
SomeNextPirate
Demoralise them...forcing them to surrender.

I doubt that all the 1.5million soldiers are half as fanaticle as the administration would like.

Not to mention the fact that they would eventually run out of resources anyway.

But anyways...constitutions can change - I am willing to bet that people would be in support of it if North Korea started to become overtly agressive in terms of military ventures.

theres context behind my post, we were discussing ways to kill them.
btw could you demoralise the most oppressed people on earth any more lol?

NK IIRC has the 2nd largest special forces in the world, 80k used to fighting in small units in the rough NK mountainous terrain. that and every enemy of the USA has noted how difficult it is to fight guerillaly. whether they are actually any good is yet to be seen.

amen, $6billion is relatively nothing if you plan on winning.

semi-recently NK test fired an actual missile straight over Japan. could you imagine how provocative that would be if say, iraq fired a missile over western europe (not the capability, but the intention), the west would be up in arms. also there has been an entire saga going back decades, including NK subs literally surfacing on japanese coastal resorts, kidnapping civilians and taking them back to NK.

dont bother replying, im just talking for the sake of it.

ED: oh and im not saying that we wouldnt be able to defeat them or anything, just that it might not be the walk in the park that was suggested at the beginning of the thread.
Reply 77
we're all forgetting that the countries that would fight north korea don't have any money lol.
Reply 78
SomeNextPirate
Our Army won't be the main forces invovled. Ther Americans on the other hand - have proved time and time again that they operate best in 'conventional' warfare.

Besides N.Korea wouldn't repsond to invasion in that way, their army isn't trained in that way.

It wouldn't even factor into it until North Korea was defeated. As was teh case in Iraq.

forget the nk army. theyll last a month tops. its the people you have to win over. look at iraq. the iraqui army was decimated in a week or two, but some insurgents and civilians kept and still keep fighting.
Reply 79
Bateman
we're all forgetting that the countries that would fight north korea don't have any money lol.

neither does nk.... last i heard half their population was starving due to rice shortages.

Latest

Trending

Trending