The Student Room Group

How revengeful are you?

Poll

Would you help an enemy or not?

After a discussion with my mate, I wondered how people feel about people they hate. I don't mean hate like you hate an annoying celebrity/little brother, but immovable, malevolent hate because of a great wrong done to you or someone you love, or even someone you don't know personally.

If you saw them in trouble, would you think - "Hell, we're all human beings, even if they did kill/rape/hurt me/my family/someone, I still have to help them" or would you think "Finally, they're getting what they deserve" and leave them to their fate?

Poll Coming :yep:

Scroll to see replies

Depends on a number of factors.
LearningMath
Depends on a number of factors.

Such as?
Reply 3
Such as?

Such as whether your helping with history homework or whether they are dangling off a cliff
iwilson03
Such as whether your helping with history homework or whether they are dangling off a cliff

Well I was thinking more dangling off a cliff type scenarios, but anything really.
Reply 5
Yeah let's set up a situation here otherwise the answer could be anything.

For example let's say this person shot and killed your brother in a sectarian conflict and you were part of some unrelated protest against said sectarians who had decided to show their military might by wandering through your neighbourhood.

As they got near to you and your protest someone lobbed a grenade or two at the marchers and fired indiscriminately into them with an fully automatic assault rifle before leaping into a car and speeding off into the distance. You notice that one of the wounded persons had lost his mask in the explosion and is loosing blood from an arterial bleed- and shock horror he was your brothers killer! You know first aid and could save him but he will die without your help in the panic caused by the attack, what would you do?

Something like that otherwise it's way too subjective.

1) what was his crime?
2) Can I act without risk to myself?
3) How long ago was it?
JMonkey
Yeah let's set up a situation here otherwise the answer could be anything.

For example let's say this person shot and killed your brother in a sectarian conflict and you were part of some unrelated protest against said sectarians who had decided to show their military might by wandering through your neighbourhood.

As they got near to you and your protest someone lobbed a grenade or two at the marchers and fired indiscriminately into them with an fully automatic assault rifle. You notice that one of the wounded persons had lost his mask in the explosion and is loosing blood from an arterial bleed- and shock horror he was your brothers killer! You know first aid and could save him but he will die without your help in the panic caused by the attack, what would you do?

Something like that otherwise it's way too subjective.

Thanks, that's the kinda thing I meant: something serious, where the person risks losing their life/dignity etc.

I always imagine that you're walking down the road, and the person in question is being attacked/assaulted, and you can either help or walk away.
Reply 7
In that case I would probably just walk away, if he is now in trouble because of the activities which killed my brother then that is just karma.
Reply 8
I would if it was someone I strongly disliked, just to make them feel guilty, but if I deeply hated them, i'd leave them
Reply 9
iwilson03
In that case I would probably just walk away, if he is now in trouble because of the activities which killed my brother then that is just karma.

What is it with people and karma lately, it keeps popping up everywhere?

By doing that you are encouraging the same karma in the future for your act. Two wrongs do not equate to a right or divine justice or karma. That's not how karma works. It's the expression of the golden rule in terms of cause and effect. Or as you sow so shall you reap.

Not that I think people might not do that, but lets put it in terms of what it is, an act of cold hearted revenge. If not 100% condemnable.
Hmmm this is tricky, I always say that if I saw my ex on fire, I wouldn't even piss on him i will just throw alcohol on him but deep down, I dont think I can be that revengeful. I'd be more immature with my revenge such as telling his mates he got a small willy or something lol
Reply 11
iwilson03

No.
It means when your help prevents them from being harmed.
What is it with people and karma lately, it keeps popping up everywhere?

By doing that you are encouraging the same karma in the future for your act. Two wrongs do not equate to a right or divine justice or karma. That's not how karma works. It's the expression of the golden rule in terms of cause and effect. Or as you sow so shall you reap.

Not that I think people might not do that, but lets put in terms of what it is, an act of cold hearted revenge. If not 100% condemnable.

Sorry I don't actually believe in Karma, I was just using it as a phrase really - apologies if anyone seriously got offended by my ignorance lol
Reply 14
iwilson03
Sorry I don't actually believe in Karma, I was just using it as a phrase really - apologies if anyone seriously got offended by my ignorance lol

More pedantry than religious ire. I am neither a Buddhist nor a Hindu. :smile:
Reply 15
It's vengeful OP.

Oh, and very - someone who has screwed you over in the past will screw you over again. It's naive to believe otherwise - leave the Judeo-Christian concept of forgiveness to the religious nutters.
Reply 16
RyanT
It's vengeful OP.

Oh, and very - someone who has screwed you over in the past will screw you over again. It's naive to believe otherwise - leave the Judeo-Christian concept of forgiveness to the religious nutters.

Ahhhhhhhh.... but you cannot see the future: do you not see? What if his brother on hearing that you failed to help, now bears a grudge against you and gets his AK47 and guns you down for letting his brother die. See now that is karma.

In an enlightened society one cannot account for the future but you can sow seeds that mean that you get little flak from your actions. That's not religious mumbo jumbo, coming as it does from ancient philosophy first encoded in the Laws of Hamurabai and the Chinese/Indian philosophies long before Jesus plagiarised it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmeeeeeeeen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fldKHxL83Qw&feature=PlayList&p=E9DD6B1738115D24&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Ahhhhhhhh...
Reply 17
My mind doesn't understand the concept of revenge. As far as myself is concerned anyway, I can see why other people are vengeful, but its just not in my nature.
Reply 18
RyanT
It's vengeful OP.

I beg to differ . . .
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revengeful
I'm of the stone cold ignoring variety :cool:

But in general I'm pretty forgiving, depends on circumstances.

Latest

Trending

Trending