The Student Room Group

joining university of london air squadron

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i wanted to join this year but there were no spaces for ground branch peeps, just pilots. normally you can join as either and if you are ground, you have 'flying experience' rather than training. i was told to try again next sept when people may have left.
Reply 2
medic_bex
i wanted to join this year but there were no spaces for ground branch peeps, just pilots. normally you can join as either and if you are ground, you have 'flying experience' rather than training. i was told to try again next sept when people may have left.

So there's separate schemes for pilots and non-pilots? That sounds good. What do the non-pilots do?
Reply 3
You can join a UAS three ways. As a pilot, as a sponsored student (eng, MO, Nav, dentist, etc) or as a social member. Anyone can apply to join as a pilot but you must pass an interview, medical and aptitude test before hand. Much of getting onto a UAS depends on your interview and isn't as scary as it seems. You will then start flying if you get accepted. Not everyone knows they want to be a pilot but there is a report coming on soon that will speak about the amalgamation on UASs across the country and plans to reduce flying hours. You can join as a ground student but must be sponsered first by the RAF through university. This involves going through a 4 day selection process at RAF Cranwell. There is also social member which means you don't participate in UAS activities.
Reply 4
edders
I've been thinking about joining ULAS next year, is anyone here in it? How serious do you need to be about flying to join? I don't really know much about the RAF but it looks like a good opportunity to get some skills and meet people. I'm not really interested in becoming a pilot; if I did join the RAF after uni it would probably be as an intelligence analyst (some kind of technical/strategy type job, rather than actual flying). Is it still suitable for me to join?
My roommate at uni is in the navy branch, and it just seems like a social club to me (comes back drunk every Tues night from his seminar).

I didn't see this at the ULU Freshers Fayre :eek:
Sounds interesting :cool:
Reply 5
edders
I've been thinking about joining ULAS next year, is anyone here in it? How serious do you need to be about flying to join? I don't really know much about the RAF but it looks like a good opportunity to get some skills and meet people. I'm not really interested in becoming a pilot; if I did join the RAF after uni it would probably be as an intelligence analyst (some kind of technical/strategy type job, rather than actual flying). Is it still suitable for me to join?

Sorry mate, but in the current climate, as has been said, you have to be pretty enthusiastic about being an RAF pilot to join. If you're interested in a ground branch they'll give you some literature and wave you off. If you fancy a military intelligence job, let us know; but the only way to legally join a UAS as a bluntie nowadays is to be sponsored.
Reply 6
Quiksilver
I didn't see this at the ULU Freshers Fayre :eek:
Sounds interesting :cool:

they had the army and navy equivalents, but when i rang asking why they weren't equally represented, i was told they had no spaces so didn't bother trying to recruit
Reply 7
UASs don't always need to recruit, there are always too many applicants :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies guys. :smile:

Wzz
Sorry mate, but in the current climate, as has been said, you have to be pretty enthusiastic about being an RAF pilot to join. If you're interested in a ground branch they'll give you some literature and wave you off. If you fancy a military intelligence job, let us know; but the only way to legally join a UAS as a bluntie nowadays is to be sponsored.

Do they have specific career paths for people who want to work in intelligence? I think MOD/GCHQ/MI6 intelligence work could be interesting.
Reply 9
edders
Thanks for the replies guys. :smile:

Do they have specific career paths for people who want to work in intelligence? I think MOD/GCHQ/MI6 intelligence work could be interesting.

Nope not that I have ever seen :smile: But if you are sincerly interested in the RAF join.
Reply 10
BlackHawk
Nope not that I have ever seen :smile: But if you are sincerly interested in the RAF join.

Well, the idea of doing some public service for my country appeals to me. I may stick to civilian routes of doing that though. :confused:
Reply 11
edders

You can join as an intelligence officer; the job's exceptionally varied. There's obviously a lot of air and political int to do, and you're not going to be James Bond, but it might appeal.
edders
Well, the idea of doing some public service for my country appeals to me. I may stick to civilian routes of doing that though. :confused:

lots of people like that. Not everyone wants to be shot at! :smile: Ever considered Fighter Control :wink:
Reply 13
do the UAS pay you anthing like the OTC and URNU do?
Reply 14
i don't think so, you have to be sponsored
Reply 15
I applied this year. I sat the interview in Knightsbridge and passed that so i went of to RAF Cranwell to do my aptitude tests and medical. This was the second time i have been to OASC Cranwell, i first went when i was 16 as i applied for a sponsorship, but i didnt get in becuase my aptitude scores wernt good enough. Anyway when i went this time I passed the medical and was told that i didnt have to sit the aptitude tests again becuase my scores from last time were good enough for the UAS but not for the RAF. I was told if i wanted to join the RAF after i left the UAS i would have to resit the tests then. So i left cranwell and received a letter a few weeks later saying i hadnt been sucessful, so i called up the UAS to get a debrief on how i could improve for next time, i was told my aptitude scores wernt high enough. You can image how annoyed i was at being told this, i questioned them on why they had told me i didnt have to sit them and they wernt having any of it.

But i will be applying next year and hopefully this time i will be sucessful.

By the way edders you have to be pretty serious about flying, they can pick out people with motivation in the interviews and if you dont have the motivation they will see right through you. Also becuase ULAS only offer entry for air branches they train you to be a pilot, this training is the same as pilots do when they join the RAF and so is an important stage in your learning. If you dont want to join the RAF do you think they will pay for your flying training, expeditions and wage if you dont want to join in the end.
Reply 16
nic_k_s

Pay is about £34 a day (pro rata for shorter periods), plus various additional allowances (subject to you completing a certain amount of training). More information at http://www.rafcom.co.uk/pay_allowances/index_pay_allowances.cfm but basically most people make a reasonable amount of money out of it.
nic_k_s

yes of course they do! UAS is just like the OTC and URNU except with the added fun of flying! Pay goes from about £34.80 to £55.60 a day I believe depending on what you achieve while on the squadron. You can only get paid for a certain amount of days per calender year however.
A.J
I applied this year. I sat the interview in Knightsbridge and passed that so i went of to RAF Cranwell to do my aptitude tests and medical. This was the second time i have been to OASC Cranwell, i first went when i was 16 as i applied for a sponsorship, but i didnt get in becuase my aptitude scores wernt good enough. Anyway when i went this time I passed the medical and was told that i didnt have to sit the aptitude tests again becuase my scores from last time were good enough for the UAS but not for the RAF. I was told if i wanted to join the RAF after i left the UAS i would have to resit the tests then. So i left cranwell and received a letter a few weeks later saying i hadnt been sucessful, so i called up the UAS to get a debrief on how i could improve for next time, i was told my aptitude scores wernt high enough. You can image how annoyed i was at being told this, i questioned them on why they had told me i didnt have to sit them and they wernt having any of it.

But i will be applying next year and hopefully this time i will be sucessful.

By the way edders you have to be pretty serious about flying, they can pick out people with motivation in the interviews and if you dont have the motivation they will see right through you. Also becuase ULAS only offer entry for air branches they train you to be a pilot, this training is the same as pilots do when they join the RAF and so is an important stage in your learning. If you dont want to join the RAF do you think they will pay for your flying training, expeditions and wage if you dont want to join in the end.

common misconception. You don't have to pass the aptitude tests in order to be selected for a UAS. UAS are a tad more slack than RAF selection which is a shame in my opinion. OASC would have said to you that you don't have to take an aptitude test as you passed fine for UAS (probably borderline mark, maybe 108?) but that you only have 2 shots at it so you can either leave it as it is or take your other shot with the chance of failing and not applying again. Is that correct?

If the UAS didn't accept you then you may have been weak in another area, interview for example. Many people on my UAS scored borderline aptitude (myself being one of them) and most were turned away, but the 2 of us who had 4+ interview scores were given places without question. At the end of the day an aptitude score for a UAS is only showing that you have the potential to be a pilot. If you don't quite make it but you showed outstanding motivation and willingness to learn then who is to say you won't be as good as someone who got 2 extra questions right?

At the end of the day you could have sat the aptitude and it isn't OASCs fault that you didn't. If you are applying again next year to a UAS then you have a higher chance of getting it.
Reply 19
Also, you might have passed the aptitude tests to the required standard for UAS membership, but that doesn't mean they owe you a place. If 200 people apply, and 100 pass the aptitude tests, they're still going to take the 30 best.

A high aptitude test result dramatically affects how much of a "training risk" you are. It might not be foolproof, it might not be 100% with its prediction of future success, but it's all they have to go on. Ace the aptitude tests, boffins claim you'll probably not stack anything.

Quick Reply

Latest