The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CJN
Does anyone have any advice for the last question in close readings?

You see one time I got 5/5, but the most recent one I did I only got 2/5 I can't really understand what exactly they are looking for. I think the 5/5 time I talked about them as a whole but the 2/5 time I sort of spoke about individual bits of word choice and imagery etc.

These are marked 'on merit'...which is a bit of a pain, I can assure you.

What you MUST do is refer to both passages - however briefly - in order to make your case for one or the other. The question will always tell you to answer with regard to the language and/or the ideas and/or the style and /or the tone. You MUST therefore write about these.

Any claims you make as to why you preferred one over the other, MUST be backed up with clear reference/s. 'I preferred passage two's treatment of the subject as the ideas it contained "quote example/s" were more appealing to someone of my age' + explain why' Or whatever it is that makes them more appealing to you
'The language in the first passage made it my definite favourite: the writer's comic comparison of Obama to a superhero "quote the simile/metaphor" was effective in making his case that we are all caught up in the hype and expecting far too much from the man' and say why this is so (ie explain the different capabilities between a superhero and and mere human being).
'This humorous tone continues with a few well chosen over-the-top expressions "quote". The ridiculous images these conjure again serve to make clear that we should perhaps reconsider our expectations'.
'The second passage was less effective...
go on to say why, always referencing and explaining.

This is all on the hoof but, in general, marks are awarded for good, referenced justification, and an obviously personal response.
Reply 21
good idea
actually makes things a tiny bit more manageable
Reply 22
Honestly, I'd much rather they added time on to the Critical Essay paper, as I think it's extremely difficult to write two good essays in ninety minutes, but that's just my opinion.

Latest

Trending

Trending