The Student Room Group

If I don't accept my medical offer, parents'll kick me out on the streets NOW!! :eek:

Anon for obv. reasons.

I posted a thread on here a lil while back, but I can't find it anymore :frown:

All in the title, essentially, my dad and mum were screaming at me just a minute ago and over the past few weeks, but its now come to the point where if I don't accept my medical offer right NOW, I'll be thrown out onto the streets right NOW :frown: :woo:

Help me please. What do I take with me? Where can I go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well if you applied to Medicine I'm presuming you actually want to do that so accepting the offer isn't such a bad thing?
Reply 2
Medical offer?
Reply 3
Why did you apply for medicine then?
Reply 4
Take a rubix cube, and go to the park.

Seriously though, I think I remember your thread. If I remember correctly you were wavering towards a print&journalism degree instead? Although you admitted that you were torn between the two and your parents' opinions pushed you slightly that way. Could you not reconsider? Are you sure you are making this choice for the right reasons, and not just to spite your parents? Don't let pride get in the way of the biggest decision of your life thus far.
Could you possibly provide a bit of a back story for those who haven't seen the earlier thread?

Other than that, a tatty sleeping bag, bottle of vodka and a dog seems to be the usual 'tramp' kit these days.
what do you want to do instead?
and are you're parents really than pushy??
i guess explaining things haven't really worked?
LOL that sounds so pathetic, it's just a bluff threat
Reply 8
Chris#1
Take a rubix cube, and go to the park.

Seriously though, I think I remember your thread. If I remember correctly you were wavering towards a print&journalism degree instead? Although you admitted that you were torn between the two and your parents' opinions pushed you slightly that way. Could you not reconsider? Are you sure you are making this choice for the right reasons, and not just to spite your parents? Don't let pride get in the way of the biggest decision of your life thus far.

:ditto:

English/Journalism, yep

Erm... I really really dont know :frown:
Reply 9
ScarlettDangerfield
Could you possibly provide a bit of a back story for those who haven't seen the earlier thread?

Other than that, a tatty sleeping bag, bottle of vodka and a dog seems to be the usual 'tramp' kit these days.

LOL, Don't forget the tattered beanies.
Reply 10
Anonymous

English/Journalism, yep

Okay, maybe you just have to compromise. Like, say that you will go through with the Medicine degree, but if you don't like it, you will bail and re-apply. At least give it a chance?
Reply 11
Anonymous

All in the title, essentially, my dad and mum were screaming at me just a minute ago and over the past few weeks, but its now come to the point where if I don't accept my medical offer right NOW, I'll be thrown out onto the streets right NOW :frown: :woo:

Help me please. What do I take with me? Where can I go?

Accept, do what you need to ensure your personal safety right now you can change later. Don't worry UCAS/unis won't hold it against you.

If you have to leave, talk to some friends first and find a place to crash at.

If you're desperate try calling childline they might be able to help you out.
Reply 12
oh yea your that asian person who wanted to do journalism.

Just say you got rejected or summing
Reply 13
Anonymous

English/Journalism, yep

Do medicine if you can. Parents do sometimes know what's best :wink:
Reply 14
Have you just tried telling them that you're not definite you want to pursue medicine and "for now" want to consider your alternatives. There's no rush, is there? It might bide you some time.

I feel very sorry for people with such pushy parents... good luck with this OP.
Have you thought about the situation if your parents were not pushing you? Would you still not want to do Medicine? You need to have a think about this and whether it is because you feel pushed by your parents and are not being allowed to make up your own mind.
The first thought that popped into my mind was to accept the offer to make them happy, and then deliberately miss your predicted grades in the summer exams so it's not TECHNICALLY your fault...although that would probably not work!

Even if you DID do a medicine degree, it doesn't stop you going into a career in the media! Just look at Harry Hill! Perhaps get a solid degree, and then once you have that, look into doing an MA in writing or something? Then you can please everyone, I suppose?!
Good luck :smile:
ScarlettDangerfield

What about the trademark fingerless gloves? :p:

OP: if you really don't want to take up your med offer then you have to sort this out with your parents now - med school will undoubtedly be much harder for people who don't want to be there
Reply 18
Just accept the offer on track now just to keep your parents sweet and bide your time...
Depends on your uni, but you might be able to switch course early in the semester once you get there.

Latest

Trending

Trending