The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

I think there are quite a lot of PPE students in most colleges, although I think you can find stats on the website.

Why don't you look at who the tutors are for each college and whose research interests you most?
Reply 1981
Original post by bluesky42
I think there are quite a lot of PPE students in most colleges, although I think you can find stats on the website.

Why don't you look at who the tutors are for each college and whose research interests you most?

Because for an undergrad it's pretty much completely irrelevant. Also, in the fields of P, P and E, chances are any specific interests you have at 17 will completely change by the time you get to second year. And then if you really do want to be taught by a certain tutor, you can ask for them.

But yes, there'll be plenty of PPEists at whichever college you go to. More's the pity for the rest of us.
Original post by leckett
Okay, thanks. I'll have a look:smile: Are you in Somerville? I'm looking to study PPE or Experimental Psychology...Somerville does that, right?:smile: Thankss

Yes, I am and yes, we do both of those.
Reply 1983
Original post by astro67
Yes, I am and yes, we do both of those.

say I apply to college X, get accepted and such...and then in January I want to change college (after getting the acceptance letter). would that be feasible?
no
Reply 1986
Original post by desy.kris
say I apply to college X, get accepted and such...and then in January I want to change college (after getting the acceptance letter). would that be feasible?

In a word, no. I've only ever known one undergrad who's changed college, and that was only because he chose to change course to one that his current college didn't offer.

There'd be no real reason to, anyway. What would be your justification? Unless there was something very specific and unusual which you absolutely needed and your college couldn't supply (perhaps to do with a disability or something?) I can't think of any reason they'd accept.
Reply 1987

In terms of looking suspiciously like you're trying to make a tactical application, your question is up there with this. >__>
Original post by leckett

Fantastic so far - everyone's been really kind and friendly but my experience may not help you much since I'm not an undergraduate.
Reply 1989

I don't think college changes ever happen without some other circumstance, if at all.
um, let's say I apply to this scholarship from some organisations, but they only give scholarships to those from certain colleges (namely Exeter, Oriel, and some other two I forgot). I'm now applying to Oriel, but I'm just afraid if I can't get into Oriel and if I happen to get an offer from a different college, I'm afraid the organisation offering the scholarship might not be able to give me if it't not the college they're giving scholarships to. in this case, would it be feasible to ask Oxford to switch my college to any college that the organisation offers scholarships for?
um, let's say I apply to this scholarship from some organisations, but they only give scholarships to those from certain colleges (namely Exeter, Oriel, and some other two I forgot). I'm now applying to Oriel, but I'm just afraid if I can't get into Oriel and if I happen to get an offer from a different college, I'm afraid the organisation offering the scholarship might not be able to give me if it't not the college they're giving scholarships to. in this case, would it be feasible to ask Oxford to switch my college to any college that the organisation offers scholarships for?

Are you applying for a postgraduate course? If so, one of the few things that can allow an applicant to be transferred to another College is the availability of funding tied to a particular College so you might be able to transfer if that is the case. I'm not aware of any equivalent situation for undergraduates.
Hi everyone:

I've recently found this wonderful website and I'm excited to explore it!

Here's my second post on a question of academic reputation of the undergrad colleges. I was reading (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons) to help me choose a college. But then I noticed that this wiki had some negative things about the academic rep of some colleges. Now, I understand that in ALL the colleges, there'll be excellent and average students, so please don't take my question the wrong way.

But I'm interested to know if there's any basis to this? Example: I read the entry for St. Peter's(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oxford_College_Pros_and_Cons#Exeter)
and saw this:

"Peter's is climbing up the Norrington table which has prompted the college to increase the workload on future years. "

If so, which colleges have the weaker academic reputations? And the strongest? If not, then I'm happy since I can worry less about college choice!
Thanks a lot!

Adrienne
At the end of the day, the degree is awarded by the university and depends very much on your own independent study; also, some subjects are particularly Faculty or Department centred. I'm not convinced it's possible to say of a college as a whole that it has a generally worse academic reputation than another; the Norrington Table has its limitations which mean that it's not really a reliable guide. If you post in the choosing a college thread in this forum, with your subject and preferences (size, location, etc) I'm sure people will give you a few suggestions :smile:
Reply 1994
Hi all, I'm applying to oxford next year, and have managed to whittle down the long list of colleges to three: Lincoln, Merton and Trinity. I was just wondering which ones people would recommend and why?
Pros and Cons for each would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I liked Trinity.

Pros
Wide open spaces and gorgeous grounds.
Good Tutors
Near Blackwells :drool:
Near centre of town.

Cons
Rooms aren't as nice as some other colleges.
Original post by Ocassus
I liked Trinity.

Pros
Wide open spaces and gorgeous grounds.
Good Tutors
Near Blackwells :drool:
Near centre of town.

Cons
Rooms aren't as nice as some other colleges.

From a complete outsider's view, Merton is GORGEOUS.
Original post by Aeschylus

Original post by Aeschylus
From a complete outsider's view, Merton is GORGEOUS.

I preferred the more Outdoorsy environment of Trinity, the lovely long lawns, lacking in the high walls that define most other colleges (IE brasenose).

Magdelen or Trinity I am going for...
Trinity has their own woodland. GO.
Reply 1999
Original post by Tom1993
Hi all, I'm applying to oxford next year, and have managed to whittle down the long list of colleges to three: Lincoln, Merton and Trinity. I was just wondering which ones people would recommend and why?
Pros and Cons for each would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I couldn't possibly big up Merton too much. I think the most important thing about us is that we really are a community. When talking to people from several other colleges, they'll tell me that they walk past people without saying hello, don't know well over half their college, etc. I know everyone in my year and almost everyone in other years, and will happily sit next to and talk to anyone who happens to be around.

More concretely: we have gorgeous grounds and lovely old buildings, you get accommodation for your whole course, hall's cheap and pretty good for the most part, we have a lovely JCR and bar, free pool table and football table, we have the pav up at St Catz which is great both for sports and for bops which go on until 2 (later than other colleges), we give out LOADS of free alcohol throughout the year, and I could go on and on.

People often voice concerns about academics and scary tutors, but it's just not true. I think expectations are probably higher than at other colleges, particularly in sciences and maths, but for the most part tutors will ask how they can help if you're struggling, rather than just telling you off.

If you have any other questions about Merton, feel free to ask. I genuinely don't think I could be happier here (and it makes me sad I have to go away for a year!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending