The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
£100,000
Reply 81
I'd rather do what the woman did off At Home with the Braithwaites and set up my own charitable project. At least I could then ensure the funds were going to the best places.
Reply 82
jakdax77
WOW!!!
The amount of ***** oh this forum, the highest was £0.00, im guessing all of them are public school children who feels that the poor should be poor and the rich should be richer!!!

Nope, I believe that the ambitious, hardworking and intelligent poor should be way richer than the lazy rich. However i wouldn't donate any serious amount of money because a million isn't that much. I'd need it all for my own life (need is a relative word of course) and yes I am selfish, but i believe you really cannot find anyone who is genuinly not selfish.
I would firstly put it in the bank for a year to gain interest, after which I'd give £350,000 to my parents, share out £400,000 with my other relatives, pay off my student debt, pay off my parents' mortgage, give about £10,000 to my brother, then split the remainder 75% for me and 25% for charity.
Reply 84
Don't know, not alot I don't think.

I'd buy a nice house/car and have some nice holidays.
Reply 85
Maybe a quarter? I'd like to say I'd give half, but I don't think that's realistic... I want my own flat in London, so that'd take up most of it anyway!
Reply 86
Sweet **** all.
Reply 87
4x4
Nope, I believe that the ambitious, hardworking and intelligent poor should be way richer than the lazy rich. However i wouldn't donate any serious amount of money because a million isn't that much. I'd need it all for my own life (need is a relative word of course) and yes I am selfish, but i believe you really cannot find anyone who is genuinly not selfish.

You're telling me that with a million pounds you cannot by a nice house, a normal car and buy nice things if you give some to charity. I'm thinking your needs are like a mansion and mercedez benz and eating caviar everyday. TBH, i don't mind if thats true cos we all have ambition, maybe yours is to have a nice big house with a sports car
Reply 88
general rule of thumb. 10% when talking bout less than a billion. Anything greater than that 1%. The rest I'd invest maybe in some shop/resto whatever that gives people around the area jobs.
Reply 89
Charity begins at home. I would take care of the folks/siblings before thinking about anything else.
Reply 90
Asteron
I'd rather do what the woman did off At Home with the Braithwaites and set up my own charitable project. At least I could then ensure the funds were going to the best places.

And also to have your own name plastered all over it I would imagine, celeb style.
Logan
general rule of thumb. 10% when talking bout less than a billion. Anything greater than that 1%.

Interesting.... can I ask why?

I'd be inclined to give a much larger percentage of an amount over a billion.
Reply 92
Probably about £20,000
Zero. I would only give money to the charity if I had over 5 million pounds in wealth.
Reply 94
Reply 95
Logan
general rule of thumb. 10% when talking bout less than a billion. Anything greater than that 1%. The rest I'd invest maybe in some shop/resto whatever that gives people around the area jobs.

so you'd give £99,999,999 if you won £999,999,999, but only £10,000,000 if you won an extra £1?
No more than I give now. Whether you own a million quid or a thousand quid if you want to donate to charity nothing is stopping you. I always find it amusing when people say they would give a chunk to charity if they won a lot of money but they wouldn't now. If you own a million and would give 10% to charity what's stopping you giving 10% of your current savings to charity?
Sephiroth
No more than I give now. Whether you own a million quid or a thousand quid if you want to donate to charity nothing is stopping you. I always find it amusing when people say they would give a chunk to charity if they won a lot of money but they wouldn't now. If you own a million and would give 10% to charity what's stopping you giving 10% of your current savings to charity?

maybe they don't have any savings?

but I completely agree
because 10% of peoples current savings is more than they can afford to lose rather than with a million it'll not make so much of a dent.
I'd give a bit to the Adam Watene fund but not to anywhere else.
Reply 99
I'd like to think I could donate £10,000, which is what I selected. In reality however, I would probably be unlikely to give anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending