The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

siobhan21
Wasn 't Berlusconi caught with a prostitute and loads of coke ( something to do with our crap old albanian prime minister Fatos Nano?)

I am not being rude to you in any way just wanted to know facts as i have only heard this through mouth ( i can't read albanian news papers lol)

read "the dark heart of italy". i havent read the whole thing but basically its all about italy - its culture and its corruption and alot of its on berlusconi.

now i havent read all of it but from what i read i was shocked. berlusconi, even if not in power, effectively owns italy. its hard to do anything without it somehow making him money. no joke. and how he get made his initial fortune which then enabled him to get the monopoly of everything there is really murky. it looks like he worked with the mafia and is still very very close to them now. but he will never ever get caught cos when he came to power he effectively decriminalised everything he'd ever done and he continues to decriminalise criminal acts to help friends out i'm guessing. yeh - with the mafia, i remember reading about how this judge put loads of mafioso in jail and at the time berlusconi (as an upcoming politician) supported it but since he has reversed the decision (to jail them), the judge got killed and he seems to have protected the accused murderers. Tbh, i stopped reading the book cos it was so depressing. lol
burninginme
It's not exactly a common occurance. Are you honestly suggesting there's never been a dead body in the street in Glasgow?

Since my mate found one about six weeks ago, when he was walking back from his friends at 4am (the guy had fallen out of an upper story window on Dumbarton Rd), then anecdotally yes, there definitely has been.

It really depends what you class as 'developed'. I know of rural places in the UK which are still heated and lit by an oil burner and have no running water. I also know of places not far from where my parents lived in Spain where people live in single room houses with merely holes in the wall for windows. They're both still unquestionably developed countries on the whole though.
Reply 102
There are a lot of parts of Italy, as with many countries, that don't have anywhere near the same level of infrastructure as most of the UK enjoys.

That said, I don't think that's always a bad thing.
Reply 103
0404343m
Since my mate found one about six weeks ago, when he was walking back from his friends at 4am (the guy had fallen out of an upper story window on Dumbarton Rd), then anecdotally yes, there definitely has been.

Read about that somewhere!! I'm guessing alcohol/drugs were involved, how else do you manage to just fall out a window?
vickiii
Read about that somewhere!! I'm guessing alcohol/drugs were involved, how else do you manage to just fall out a window?

No idea really, but he was only semi clothed, and there were 'no suspicious circumstances'. The police weren't for disclosing much details, but my mate was pretty shaken up.
Reply 105
They need to get rid of that stupid **** Berlonsconi or whatever he's called. He's worse that Dubya when it comes to gaffes!!!
After the destruction of the old italian architectures, how can its economy, relying much on tourism, sustain?
So it's better to talk about the future of Italy and its economy.....
The reconstruction of south Italy will help them to increase the employment rate and go out of economic recession.
Reply 107
Xenomorph v2.1
How does a natural disaster have any connection with a country's development!? Italy is very much a developed country! Besides, which other country has lamborghinis as police cars and officers wearing designer uniforms! :awesome:

Actually you should see even just the street sweepers. I was quite amazed to be honest at the ones in Rome when I first saw them, and the female ones were most definately not mingers in the slightest...
jburdett
5 red gems, warning level 8.

The value of your opinion < used toilet paper.

Actually, what that guy said about the HDI index was really intelligent.
Italy certainly is a developed country for crying out loud! Natural disasters don't telephone the day earlier saying they'll stop by!

And also, if the death toll were to be like 10,000 IN A SMALL TOWN, then you MIGHT have an argument...but now you don't.
Lovely climate southern italy. 25 deg in palermo last week.
Being a developed country doesn't mean having Chuck Norris-like abilities.
Italy exists in a strange twilight zone. I don't think anyone knows how it works, but if you look too hard, it might stop.
burninginme
it's not even a proper motorway, it's only like 10-15 miles long

.... The A167(M) (Central Motorway) going through the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne is only 1.1 miles long..... and thats a motorway.....

Whats your problem??

Latest

Trending

Trending