The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jbeacom600
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! I got a First in Mods! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: so happy happy happy happy! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congrats!!! Long gown!!

I missed a First in Finals by 0.5%. Bit gutting given I lost a week to illness and college refused to send off my medical certificate, and the 2 papers I could have pointed out as being the ones that my revision was affected for were my lowest marks. But at the same time I'm happy because I thought they'd gone a lot worse and I wasn't gunning for a First...

5 out of 8 of us Worcester Frenchies got Firsts, and all of my flat. I am sooooo proud :biggrin: I am the only person in my graduating group who didn't get one :biggrin:
Original post by dinkymints
Congrats!!! Long gown!!

I missed a First in Finals by 0.5%. Bit gutting given I lost a week to illness and college refused to send off my medical certificate, and the 2 papers I could have pointed out as being the ones that my revision was affected for were my lowest marks. But at the same time I'm happy because I thought they'd gone a lot worse and I wasn't gunning for a First...

5 out of 8 of us Worcester Frenchies got Firsts, and all of my flat. I am sooooo proud :biggrin: I am the only person in my graduating group who didn't get one :biggrin:

They refused to send off your medical certificate? :lolwut:

Congrats on your 2.1 :woo: :party: :awesome: :party: :woo: What plans for life? :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
They refused to send off your medical certificate? :lolwut:

Congrats on your 2.1 :woo: :party: :awesome: :party: :woo: What plans for life? :smile:

Well ok 'refused' might be a bit strong. They said that if you submit before the examiners won't know what to do with it as they won't know how you might have done otherwise, whereas if you get ill during you can pinpoint a timeframe/paper. They said if I feel ill again during a paper I should tell them and they could send it off but otherwise no point. I'd rather have sent it and let the examiners decide to be honest, and my tutors seemed a bit baffled by the decision (by JG...) And since then stuff I've read on old examiners reports suggests they've bumped up borderline candidates in the same position - where specific affected papers couldn't be pinpointed. 3 out of my 4 language papers - the ones you can't revise for - were 71s and these 2 I couldn't revise properly were 66s... so yes frustrating. But yeah I probably don't deserve a First anyway!

No plans for life... another reason a First could have been useful!
(edited 12 years ago)
Well ok 'refused' might be a bit strong. They said that if you submit before the examiners won't know what to do with it as they won't know how you might have done otherwise, whereas if you get ill during you can pinpoint a timeframe/paper. They said if I feel ill again during a paper I should tell them and they can send it off but otherwise no point. I'd rather have sent it and let the examiners decide to be honest, and my tutors seemed a bit baffled by the decision (by JG...) And since then stuff I've read on old examiners reports suggests they've bumped up borderline candidates in the same position - where specific affected papers couldn't be pinpointed. 3 out of my 4 language papers - the ones you can't revise for - were 71s and these 2 I couldn't revise properly were 66s... so yes frustrating. But yeah I probably don't deserve a First anyway!

No plans for life... another reason a First could have been useful!

Yeah they're really funny about medical certificates. I got my special exam conditions and extensions but when it came to taking account of illness during the exams (I walked out of 25% of my papers), the medical certificate seemed to do sweet FA. Then when I appealed I was told that unless I could prove wrongdoing on the Chief Examiner's part, I had no case :angry:

Not having plans isn't necessarily a bad thing. After 4 years of hothousing, I imagine rest might be in order :yes:
Reply 7744
I wish the Physics Examiners would bloody well get a move on and publish our results!
Original post by jbeacom600
Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! I got a First in Mods! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: so happy happy happy happy! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Snap :biggrin:
Original post by kuntimagee
Trying to plan the rest of the year. Has anyone else had any experience with helping with interviews, and if so, how was it?

I really enjoyed it. :smile: It was quite a novelty basically being forced to just sit in the JCR and watch films whilst being on desk duty, occasionally helping myself to a cup of tea and some biscuits. :tongue: There were some candidates who needed to be taken to interviews at other colleges, so I got to (very briefly) visit Oriel, Brasenose, Univ and Corpus Christi, all of which I'd never been in before.

I got a fair amount of work done when I was off duty too; in addition to doing most of a Physical tute we'd been asked to do over the vacation, I also wrote up a couple of labs and got them signed off because the person who runs the labs was still working there in 9th and 10th weeks. I met up with fellow interview helpers/3rd years still in Oxford some of the evenings and had dinner together, went swimming, went ice-skating, etc.

Obviously, I was busier in 10th week when the Maths and Science interviews were being held, but only in the sense that I had to take people to interviews every 20 minutes and so couldn't just sit down and do nothing. I also held a joint Chemistry and Materials get-together with drinks and nibbles (the cost for which was reimbursed) in the room I was staying in. The food and accommodation was completely free of charge too, which I missed when I returned for Hilary Term and had to go back to considering the cost of each self-service option at meal times!

I'm definitely considering helping out again next year if I don't go on Varsity! :smile:
Reply 7747
Original post by laeti
I wish the Physics Examiners would bloody well get a move on and publish our results!

this, this, a hundred times this :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Original post by laeti

History and Politics, History and Economics, even History of Art all have their results - but not straight History yet. WTF? We were doing the same papers at the same time for goodness sake! Hurry up!

Oh and congrats to everyone who got good results :biggrin: Awesome work!
Reply 7749
Yeah, I really don't understand their logic - Classics has been out for a week, ModLangs since Monday, yet my friend who did Classics and Russian *still* hasn't got her results!

Physics came out yesterday last year so they are now officially late. *grump*
Original post by laeti
Yeah, I really don't understand their logic - Classics has been out for a week, ModLangs since Monday, yet my friend who did Classics and Russian *still* hasn't got her results!

:jumphug:
Reply 7751
Original post by laeti

they're out now for 2nd and 3rd years (well at least those on the 4 year course)
I retract my complaint of 4 hours ago. The results just came out, and I got a distinction... somehow. *Faints from the shock*
Original post by Incarnadine91
I retract my complaint of 4 hours ago. The results just came out, and I got a distinction... somehow. *Faints from the shock*

Congrats! :woo: :yeah: :party: :yeah: :woo:
So uh, where do I buy a scholar's gown? And what is a Gibbs prize and how have I won one?
Original post by charliebrownnn
So uh, where do I buy a scholar's gown? And what is a Gibbs prize and how have I won one?

Same places as commoners' gowns - Ede and Ravenscroft etc. Think mine was about £40 a couple of years ago. Loads of subjects seem to have Gibbs prizes weirdly but for English it appears to be awarded to the top 10 in Mods - congrats :biggrin:

*edit* indeed LOADS of subjects! http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/ugcurrent/other/prizes/gibbs/
(edited 12 years ago)
Same places as commoners' gowns - Ede and Ravenscroft etc. Think mine was about £40 a couple of years ago. Loads of subjects seem to have Gibbs prizes weirdly but for English it appears to be awarded to the top 10 in Mods - congrats :biggrin:

Oh seriously?! I thought it just came with the whole distinction racket. Huh! And, is it called a scholar's gown on Ede & Ravenscroft and the rest? I'm having a little trouble finding it... - Thanks though!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm currently trying to work out if there are any monetary benefits to go with my scholar's gown, and if so how much. It doesn't seem to say it anywhere though. I never really looked before now because I was certain I hadn't got it...
Original post by Incarnadine91
I'm currently trying to work out if there are any monetary benefits to go with my scholar's gown, and if so how much. It doesn't seem to say it anywhere though. I never really looked before now because I was certain I hadn't got it...

Depends on college. At mine it was £200 a year (off battels, which ends up looking quite anti-climactic when divided over 3 terms) plus £60 one-off (most of which went on gown)... though can't complain really!!
charliebrownnn
Oh seriously?! I thought it just came with the whole distinction racket. Huh! And, is it called a scholar's gown on Ede & Ravenscroft and the rest? I'm having a little trouble finding it... - Thanks though!

Yeah, see here...

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/acatalog/Oxford_University_Student_Gowns.html

Wait til you get back to get it tho as you can then get fitted properly etc / buy one off someone who's leaving maybe...
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending