The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mf2004
Apart from bike theft there really is no problem in living in the cowley area. It's not to hard to end up paying 320-330 either if you look around (obviously won't be as nice), from 400 and above you should be looking at VERY nice houses.
Police do patrol the side streets at all hours as well even though not as much, I've regularly seen police bike patrols on bullingdon,denmark and crown (I think), at stupid o'clock in the morning. I don't think I know of anyone who's had anything happen to them when walking around the area at night.

On the other hand it isn't always fun to walk home at 2am, the streets aren't that well lit and it can get quite scary.

Thanks for this- 2 of the people in favour of Cowley are at a college near Cowley so would be near their college- where do people from the colleges the other side of town such as Wadham tend to live?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7981
Original post by frequent_flyer
Thanks for this- 2 of the people in favour of Cowley are at a college near Cowley so wold be near their college- where do people from the colleges the other side of town such as Wadham tend to live?

I think Cowley is as far from Wadham as any of the other residential areas. Saying that, I think Cowley is probably the nearest. The only people I know from Wadham are second years living out in Cowley.
Reply 7982
Original post by Athena
I would discorage you from living on the Cowley-Iffley sidestreets. Cowley Rd itself is busy, well-lit and patrolled by police at all hours. The side streets are not.

I never felt unsafe living on a side street off Cowley Road. There is a lot of theft in the area though so you do have to be careful in that respect.
Reply 7983
Original post by frequent_flyer
Thanks for this- 2 of the people in favour of Cowley are at a college near Cowley so would be near their college- where do people from the colleges the other side of town such as Wadham tend to live?

The only whadam person I know lived in cowley (and no that's not how I know him) so all I can give you is that piece of very anecdotal evidence
Athena

Back in the day (07-08) there was a spate of sex attacks in the side streets off Cowley Rd, and I was followed down side streets a couple of times.

And a couple this past Trinity, I think. Our 3rd+ year site is just off Cowley Road, and very few people have had problems. There have been one or two muggings on one of the narrow foot/cycle paths which head towards Brookes, but you should really fine if you take the normal precautions - try to travel in a group where possible if it's late at night, don't walk along with your mobile/mp3/anything hugely valuable on show, stay on the main road for as long as possible...etc. There's a pretty strong police presence on the main road throughout the week, particularly on the big club nights at the O2 and Regal. I'm a small girl and have had no problems living there :p: I particularly recommend cycling, as it's only about 10 mins max from the roundabout to most residential areas, and I find you're much less likely to be approached.
Other first years who are at a different college from the one you applied to: do you agree with the whole thing about how people end up feeling that the college they're at is the best one? I think it's a bit silly to say one college is 'better' than another (usually), although I do enjoy joining in with the whole "Exeter is the best college, woohoo" attitude at appropriate moments.

If I had the chance to go back and start again at the college I originally applied to, rather than this one, I don't think I would. Would you?
Reply 7986
Original post by LtCommanderData
Other first years who are at a different college from the one you applied to: do you agree with the whole thing about how people end up feeling that the college they're at is the best one? I think it's a bit silly to say one college is 'better' than another (usually), although I do enjoy joining in with the whole "Exeter is the best college, woohoo" attitude at appropriate moments.

If I had the chance to go back and start again at the college I originally applied to, rather than this one, I don't think I would. Would you?

I don't think I would. This college is smaller than the one which I applied to, but I think it looks nicer. Sure, there's some things I don't like... but crucially, this one doesn't get tourists. Sold :biggrin:
We now have a rainbow flying from our gatehouse :biggrin:
Original post by thurin
I don't think I would. This college is smaller than the one which I applied to, but I think it looks nicer. Sure, there's some things I don't like... but crucially, this one doesn't get tourists. Sold :biggrin:

there is a curious lack of reference to people in this post
Original post by thurin
crucially, this one doesn't get tourists. Sold :biggrin:

I quite like the tourists coming into my college and gawking away. I think it's inevitable that what they see won't live up to their expectation/stereotypes, and it's fun to be part of busting that! (I dunno, maybe I'll get sick of them eventually).

Original post by MrCarmady

Most of my friends are out of college, so I can sympathise with an attitude that the people at the college aren't the deciding factor in such a decision. If you've got really good friends there, you'll be keen to stay, and if you hate everybody, you might jump at the chance to switch, but I don't think it's so uncommon to be friendly with plenty of people, but not to the extent that I would necessarily have fewer friends if I were at another college.

EDIT:

Unrelated:

I was up until about 5 last night doing problem sheets, and am writing some of it up now... Maths that seemed genius at 4AM now makes no sense at all :tongue:
Reply 7990
Original post by zigzog7
We now have a rainbow flying from our gatehouse :biggrin:

Will this still be up for my walk past your college to lectures tomorrow?
Reply 7991
Original post by MrCarmady

Well obviously, the people make the college - would be no point discussing it otherwise for most people. I took it as leaving aside the people - as in you start at another college with full knowledge of the facilities, rules etc. of the college, but not the friends you've made. Rewind just over 6 weeks (damn, that went fast)!

Also you can meet people from other colleges and stay in regular contact with them (as I do now), so it's not as if you'd lose out. If anything, you'd gain from it.
Original post by dbmag9
Will this still be up for my walk past your college to lectures tomorrow?

Yep, its going to be up all week, do you like it? Also, if you come into our front quad we have pink filters over all the lights :smile:
I have acquired a ticket to Captain's Cocktails tonight. I fear this will not end well.
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Got into my college's University Challenge team :woo:

So now we just have to make ourselves "sound interesting" enough to be selected for the TV rounds ...

Flipping cool! Well done! :biggrin:
Woo ChCh regatta tomorrow :biggrin:
Original post by zigzog7
Woo ChCh regatta tomorrow :biggrin:

Looking at the weather, it may actually last more than 1 day this year..

So now we just have to make ourselves "sound interesting" enough to be selected for the TV rounds ...

Well done! Now you can only hope that you won't come up against Merton...
Went to Oxford but ended up being too ill to stay long enough to hear Emma Watson sing :frown:

so jealous. i did the 2nd round, but haven't heard back, so assume the third round has gone ahead without me...
PS. also, the fact that there's at least one girl in your team, obviously, increases your chances considerably from what i've heard. which college is that, anyway?
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending