The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If he wants to?
Reply 2
Personally I would think that slightly disingenuous if I saw it in a CV. I think a far better thing to do would be to say 'Maths A level - A (last year where this was the top grade available)'
well i assume you are currently doing your degree at LSE.

Does it really matter whether you got an A or an A* in one of your a levels.
WANTED! - High Holborn
For example if person A gets >90% in all his Maths Modules for A Level Maths....

But because he finished it in 2009, he is only awarded an A.

However on hi CV can he put 'Maths A Level - A (A* Equivalent)

So you started the AS in 2007 or 2008 and aren't taking the new A* a level syllabus?

I don't think so for reasons such as::

The papers have been changed with syllabus changes, some topics being taken out and some being moved around so that if someone gets over 90% in their A2 modules they can get an A*

Also if you put it on your CV it will almost certainly need to be backed up by exam certificates which will say that you got an A
Reply 5
Or just put the percentage in brackets afterwards?
thetopnotch
So you started the AS in 2007 or 2008 and aren't taking the new A* a level syllabus?

I don't think so for reasons such as::

The papers have been changed with syllabus changes, some topics being taken out and some being moved around so that if someone gets over 90% in their A2 modules they can get an A*

Also if you put it on your CV it will almost certainly need to be backed up by exam certificates which will say that you got an A

But we still have the statements telling us the module marks.
WANTED! - High Holborn
But we still have the statements telling us the module marks.

But it's a classification done by the exam board which is final. you can only get an A* in the new syllabus, since AFAIK all the syllabuses have changed so that the A* grade can be awarded. The Syllabus that we both did was not written for an A* so we won't be goven one.
Reply 8
No. You can't know how well you'd do next year, even if you got over 90% this year. Don't assume your employers are completely ignorant. If you get to interview and they mention that you didn't get A*s, then explain. Chances are, however, you'll be going for a graduate level job and the A levels you get won't be that important - my dad has been in very good jobs with BEE at A level, but that was from 30 years ago!
Reply 9
i would put A* !

infact anyone who'se done the new style a levels modular stuff since 2001 should put it because the A* just means 90% and if you've got 90% why not!!
Reply 10
The syllabus has supposedly changed to reflect the new A* (i.e. there are meant to be harder questions to target those who would get an A*). So, IMO it would be wrong to call an A an A* equivalent. But, I'm guessing if you were really desperate, you could just put that you got more than 90% in each module
Reply 11
neomilan
i would put A* !

infact anyone who'se done the new style a levels modular stuff since 2001 should put it because the A* just means 90% and if you've got 90% why not!!

No it does not just mean 90% + at A2. New 'stretch and challenge' questions have been introduced from next year's A2 papers to make this distinction.

You can only put down an A* if that is what it says on your certificate. If you finish A-levels in 2009 and you get high As, employers / universities will know that the A* wasn't even possible in that year so if that is on your CV, it will not be true. They aren't stupid, everybody knows that A*s are only coming out for full A-levels from 2010 and so they won't expect A*s for people finishing in 2009 either.

Putting down an A* when your final certificate will say A is deliberately lying on an application and I wouldn't recommend it. As the earlier poster said, you can always mention that you got >90% for each module / unit. :smile:
Just put the percentage in parentheses, then you won't look like as much of a ****. :smile:
Reply 13
DJkG.1
No it does not just mean 90% + at A2. New 'stretch and challenge' questions have been introduced from next year's A2 papers to make this distinction.

You can only put down an A* if that is what it says on your certificate. If you finish A-levels in 2009 and you get high As, employers / universities will know that the A* wasn't even possible in that year so if that is on your CV, it will not be true. They aren't stupid, everybody knows that A*s are only coming out for full A-levels from 2010 and so they won't expect A*s for people finishing in 2009 either.

Putting down an A* when your final certificate will say A is deliberately lying on an application and I wouldn't recommend it. As the earlier poster said, you can always mention that you got >90% for each module / unit. :smile:

ok when you put it that way i agree!!
Simple.... Did he get an A*.... NO, so he puts A.
You could do, but most employers would think you're a bit of a tosser.
You didn't get an A*. Therefore, no. Simple.
Just give the percentage if it bothers you so much.
Employers will know when the new A-levels (with A*s) are being introduced anyway, as will universities. Besides, once you've got a degree the exact grades you got aren't likely to matter that much, it's more a case of did you get 3 As or CCD?
Pretentious. No A* = No A*.
Reply 19
you were awarded an A. A*s were not available. that's life.

Latest