The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

musicislife_x
ok :smile: i think it may be someting by Vaughn Williams ... i will keep trying x

Thanks! It was sooooo pretty! :yes:
boatsgoplaces
Some teacher persuaded me to take GCSE music whilst in year 9 and I think I got A's in coursework but the listening was so awful that my overall grade came out as a C, hahaha.

Decided to retake it this year now I'm in year 11 but basically forgot everything I needed to know since doing it in year 9. I have a different teacher this year and he's not that great; basically I have to teach it to myself.

Fingers crossed for an A grade this year! (HA! :rolleyes: )

Not taking it for A Level. I love music, I really do, but having to be 'taught' it is just horrible.

Exam board I'm with is AQA by the way.

thats all the same with me, except i didn't do it in yr 10. this years was horrible...not expecting anything higher than a C either. i got 84% for the spec occ comps and i dunno about the intergrated, i did a tango/waltz.
i hate listening, it WILL bring my marks down by at least 50% lol :eek3:
ChopinNocturne
French horn, can't remember what I put for the device. I put octaves as I couldn't hear a harmony there...

I got French Horn and Octave :biggrin:
For the device i put ostinato. Im pretty sure that after that question they asked for a device for a stringed instrument if i remember correctly which i put sequence for.

Did you guys get Baroque and Purcell?
For reason i put Polyphonic texture.

I can discuss this Edexcel music exam for a while so please feedback!
salad_fingers
I got French Horn and Octave :biggrin:
For the device i put ostinato. Im pretty sure that after that question they asked for a device for a stringed instrument if i remember correctly which i put sequence for.

Did you guys get Baroque and Purcell?
For reason i put Polyphonic texture.

I can discuss this Edexcel music exam for a while so please feedback!

i'm sure your right about the sequence as thats what i put, but it was Mozart and Classical due to the balanced 4 bar phrases
partycooper
i'm sure your right about the sequence as thats what i put, but it was Mozart and Classical due to the balanced 4 bar phrases

I got Classical. Can't remember what reason though...I have a feeling I've done really badly!
ChopinNocturne
I got Classical. Can't remember what reason though...I have a feeling I've done really badly!

Mother ****** :frown:

Are you guys sure it was classical? I was pretty sure it was polyphonic but i can't remember what that song sounds like.

It wasn't an easy exam to be fair.

For the jazz part, i got syncopated rhythms, swung rhythms and jazzy chords on the piano - 7ths
salad_fingers
Mother ****** :frown:

Are you guys sure it was classical? I was pretty sure it was polyphonic but i can't remember what that song sounds like.

It wasn't an easy exam to be fair.

For the jazz part, i got syncopated rhythms, swung rhythms and jazzy chords on the piano - 7ths

I'm hoping because coursework is 60% and I only lost one mark on that giving me about 59% already, I could afford to not do as well on the exam :o:
Reply 187
ChopinNocturne
I'm hoping because coursework is 60% and I only lost one mark on that giving me about 59% already, I could afford to not do as well on the exam :o:

I'm in exactly the same position, and hoping exactly the same thing!!
Jamieq
I'm in exactly the same position, and hoping exactly the same thing!!

:five: You doing it for A level?
Reply 189
Yep, with OCR. At the moment I'd very much like to carry it on to university too! How about you?
Reply 190
ChopinNocturne

You've already got your coursework marks back? :O Our teacher refused to tell us our marks :s-smilie:
bach787
You've already got your coursework marks back? :O Our teacher refused to tell us our marks :s-smilie:

We don't know them "officially" but we've got his guideline marks which he gave us so that we worked harder :p:
bach787

Yeah why are we not supposed to get our marks back?
weeeell i failed edexel.
i got 89% for my coursework though so hopefully the final mark won't be too bad.
ChopinNocturne
We don't know them "officially" but we've got his guideline marks which he gave us so that we worked harder :p:

So, what did you get for your compositions and performances?
proud nd luvin it
So, what did you get for your compositions and performances?

Solo performance: 25/25
Ensemble performance: 25/25
Composition 1: 30/30
Composition 2: 29/30
ChopinNocturne
Solo performance: 25/25
Ensemble performance: 25/25
Composition 1: 30/30
Composition 2: 29/30

Nice one! I think I dropped one mark over all in my performance and one for my composition! Are you on edexcel? how did the exam go? x
proud nd luvin it
Nice one! I think I dropped one mark over all in my performance and one for my composition! Are you on edexcel? how did the exam go? x

Well done! Yeah I'm on Edexcel...exam was ok but weird...at least I can afford to lose marks, if my coursework had been awful I'd be panicking more about how the exam had gone!
ChopinNocturne
Well done! Yeah I'm on Edexcel...exam was ok but weird...at least I can afford to lose marks, if my coursework had been awful I'd be panicking more about how the exam had gone!

Totally agree. Did you get that question about chordophones and idiophones or whatever? I'd never even heard of any of those instruments, I swear.

I think I answered about 75% of questions on that paper, and hopefully got about 1/2 of them right. And nearly full marks for coursework, so with a bit of luck I'm looking at a C overall. We had a terrible teacher who insisted on teaching us 'proper' music (i.e. A-level and degree stuff) when we couldn't even manage the GCSE, so we went into the exam with no idea of what was even on the syllabus let alone how to answer the questions. That was the only subject I was glad to give up - think I might stick to listening to music from now on (rock on REM!) :p:

Does anyone else's school offer the pre-U instead of A-level? What is it? Our music teacher keeps (kept!) giving us lectures about how great it was, but never explained the difference.
Meridian_Star
Totally agree. Did you get that question about chordophones and idiophones or whatever? I'd never even heard of any of those instruments, I swear.

I think I answered about 75% of questions on that paper, and hopefully got about 1/2 of them right. And nearly full marks for coursework, so with a bit of luck I'm looking at a C overall. We had a terrible teacher who insisted on teaching us 'proper' music (i.e. A-level and degree stuff) when we couldn't even manage the GCSE, so we went into the exam with no idea of what was even on the syllabus let alone how to answer the questions. That was the only subject I was glad to give up - think I might stick to listening to music from now on (rock on REM!) :p:

Does anyone else's school offer the pre-U instead of A-level? What is it? Our music teacher keeps (kept!) giving us lectures about how great it was, but never explained the difference.

Yeah that idiophones one was crazy! For AofS 2, did you put minialism and experimental for the types of music? (They may not be in the right order!) I almost had a heart attack when I read that! :grin:

Latest