The Student Room Group

Reapplying? Anyone in my situation?

Basically i wanted to apply for some sort of politics/philosophy Or european politics course so i did do. I got AAAAB at AS and i was kind of hoping for at least two offers from bristol.ucl.edin.kings.manc
I envisaged Manchester as a sort of back-up but i never really questioned whether i wanted to go there. Now it is the only offer i hold, and i want to reapply but everyone around me is saying 'what if the same thing happens next year' etc...
On a gap year i would rather find some work, learn a new language at evening classes and then eventually go travelling. But now people are making me question whether i should reapply, and are discouraging me even though i dont want to spend the next three/four years at a place that i knew was a second choice.
Any one in a similar situation? and how are their parents reacting?
I was in your situation... I was offered a job in Germany, so I came over here and reapplied to uni. I know have an unconditional offer and my language skills have vastly improved ! My only word of advice would be to plan your year out properly... Don't play it by ear! You'll only end up wasting a year of your life! make sure you find out where you went wrong last time, so you can improve on it! (That was two bits of advice!)
Reply 2
adilmorrison
I know have an unconditional offer and my language skills have vastly improved ! My only word of advice would be to plan your year out properly... Don't play it by ear! QUOTE]

so were you originally from the UK and went to work in Germany??
im considering working/volunteering in Paris for a short time.. just to regain the fluency in French i once had :rolleyes:
At least its better now that i know someone else went through a similar thing and got into UCL..
J-OD

so were you originally from the UK and went to work in Germany??
im considering working/volunteering in Paris for a short time.. just to regain the fluency in French i once had :rolleyes:
At least its better now that i know someone else went through a similar thing and got into UCL..

Yup.. I'm from England. I had a change of heart about what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, etc. Talk about your plans in your PS... My interviewer was very impressed when I told him what I was doing, etc and he offered me a place on the spot... As long as you use it effectively, it can only be beneficial! Good luck! France sounds like a fantastic idea!
Reply 4
are you already on a gap year?
Reply 5
Wait I dont understand your situation... .you applied only got your back up choice as an offer and withdrew your app - intending to do a gap year and apply gain? am I right?
adilmorrison
Yup.. I'm from England. I had a change of heart about what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, etc. Talk about your plans in your PS... My interviewer was very impressed when I told him what I was doing, etc and he offered me a place on the spot... As long as you use it effectively, it can only be beneficial! Good luck! France sounds like a fantastic idea!

Did you apply for deferred entry or for re-entry? Sorry if I'm missing something you've already said. I was thinking about some time in France before I apply to UCL, maybe.
Reply 7
jabed786
Wait I dont understand your situation... .you applied only got your back up choice as an offer and withdrew your app - intending to do a gap year and apply gain? am I right?

yep i did.. i havent withdrawn yet.. thats what makes it even more stressful..
I'm in the same position as you!!
I applied for dentistry and applied for biomed as my back up, but didn't get it, so i'm taking a gap year.
I told my parents they'd be wasting their money if they made me do a course i didnt want to do, and i guess it worked.
I'd just advice you to plan your gap year to the last detail, don't just have a vague idea of what you want to do; make plans, note down dates so that you're do the things you want to do at a particular time, cos you might end up post-poning it.
and fingers crossed, we'll get in where we want (and for what we want, in my case) next year!!:yep:
If you are going to take a gap year maybe you could get a job to earn some money? Learning a language sounds like a good idea :yes:
I'd say wait until you've got your A2 results. Don't withdraw just yet because you might have a change of heart. You might also be able to get on a course through clearing in August.
Reply 11
J-OD
yep i did.. i havent withdrawn yet.. thats what makes it even more stressful..

I see. If I dont get my grades and get into my firm choice (Manchester) then Ill be reapplying but there isnt any need for me to withdraw my app so I cant understand how it must be stressfull for you but I imagine it does feel like a gamble somewhat.
MewMachine
Did you apply for deferred entry or for re-entry? Sorry if I'm missing something you've already said. I was thinking about some time in France before I apply to UCL, maybe.

I applied post-A-level...
adilmorrison
I applied post-A-level...

Oh, I worded that terribly :o: I meant after A Levels instead of re-entry.

I was just thinking of doing it as I'm worried my application won't be very strong :frown:
MewMachine
Oh, I worded that terribly :o: I meant after A Levels instead of re-entry.

I was just thinking of doing it as I'm worried my application won't be very strong :frown:

That was one of the reasons I chose to apply post A-level: Initially, I applied to universities that I knew I stood a good chance of getting into and didn't bother aiming any higher... Applying post A-level gave me the chance find new things to write about in my PS and have my grades in hand when it came to applying, which meant that universities weren't taking a risk when deciding whether or not to offer me a place!
adilmorrison
That was one of the reasons I chose to apply post A-level: Initially, I applied to universities that I knew I stood a good chance of getting into and didn't bother aiming any higher... Applying post A-level gave me the chance find new things to write about in my PS and have my grades in hand when it came to applying, which meant that universities weren't taking a risk when deciding whether or not to offer me a place!

That's a definite positive to it :biggrin: Would you be willing to send me any information on what you did and how you managed to do it all? I'm just confused at the moment about everything- being pushed in the university direction but I'm not too sure I want to go straightaway. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending