The Student Room Group

Camp America

Is there anyone out there who has applied to go on camp america this summer? I am in the middle of applying, just waiting to hear back if I've got a place.
Would be good to hear from anyone going out there too, whats camps they are going on, and the sort of travelling they are planning on doing after camp, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alexis3574
Is there anyone out there who has applied to go on camp america this summer? I am in the middle of applying, just waiting to hear back if I've got a place.
Would be good to hear from anyone going out there too, whats camps they are going on, and the sort of travelling they are planning on doing after camp, etc.

Dont do it they make it look good but really it is useless!
Reply 2
MrColin

whats wrong with it I might do it next year
What is camp america
Reply 4
I'm doing it next year, anmes already down! :smile:
Going on Summer Camp USA with BUNAC, would recommend BUNAC above Camp America. Got accepted last year, Visa processed on 23rd and going on May 30th-Sept 6th!! Virginia - teaching Kayaking!

Let me know how it goes.
Reply 6
MrColin

What makes you say that? Have you done it before?
Reply 7
Scottish_Chick
What is camp america

Its where you go and work on an america summer camp for a couple of months, then get some time to travel in the USA afterwards.
Reply 8
Specialheffa
Going on Summer Camp USA with BUNAC, would recommend BUNAC above Camp America. Got accepted last year, Visa processed on 23rd and going on May 30th-Sept 6th!! Virginia - teaching Kayaking!

Let me know how it goes.

I wanted to go with BUNAC but I am graduating this summer and they only accept people who are returning to be students, so I had to go with camp america, as they were the only company who would accept me.

I left it really late, and only applied a couple of weeks ago so am not sure if I'll get a placement, they are looking for one for me at the moment.

Are you planning to travel much after you finish camp? Any ideas where you'll go?!
I do have time on my visa to travel, but unfortunately my camp runs until 6th September (they have a family week) - they don't usually run that long. I have to move in to uni 26th september, so I need the weeks to organise stuff. I am gutted although I may do it next year - possibly WORK America, which gives more opportunity for travel.
Oooh, another CA thread :biggrin:

I applied in November, didn't hear ANYTHING until March when I did a lifeguarding course, passed that, didn't hear anything until about 2 weeks ago when I've had to sort out orientation/visa/medical forms... and am now waiting to know where I'm going.

I didn't know there were other organisations that do this type of thing... I guess I was being a bit naive! may have to check out those for next year... CA's has cost me about £400 so far (without any post-camp travel) and I'm getting paid $920 for the whole assignment. Hmmm. Then again, it is about the experience really isn't it.

People that have only just entered the whole process, post how you get on - a mate of mine wasn't successful 'cause she left it too late!
Reply 11
red665
Oooh, another CA thread :biggrin:

I applied in November, didn't hear ANYTHING until March when I did a lifeguarding course, passed that, didn't hear anything until about 2 weeks ago when I've had to sort out orientation/visa/medical forms... and am now waiting to know where I'm going.

I didn't know there were other organisations that do this type of thing... I guess I was being a bit naive! may have to check out those for next year... CA's has cost me about £400 so far (without any post-camp travel) and I'm getting paid $920 for the whole assignment. Hmmm. Then again, it is about the experience really isn't it.

People that have only just entered the whole process, post how you get on - a mate of mine wasn't successful 'cause she left it too late!

When are you going on the orientation? I have mine in London in a couple of weeks, looking forward to finding out all about it.

I left my application pretty late, but so far all seems to be going smoothly, its just a matter of whether there are any places left for my skills, so still waiting to hear on that at the moment!

Any ideas about what travelling you'll do after?!
Reply 12
MrColin

I hope you have some evidence of this!!!! :mad:

I did Camp America last year, I spent an absolute crap load of money which meant I ended up going to University in debt. Infact, if I hadn't gone to America then right now I wouldn't have to be majorly budgeting my life!!

However...I would not trade that summer in AT ALL! It was the best summer of my whole life, an absolute fantastic experience that I could never have again. If I went back (which I intend to in a few years) then it would be amazing again, but I have a feeling that the first time you do it is a "special" experience.

Camp America *is* amazing, whichever organisation you go through. Don't ever regret applying for it...you will all enjoy it massively!!
Alexis3574
When are you going on the orientation? I have mine in London in a couple of weeks, looking forward to finding out all about it.

I left my application pretty late, but so far all seems to be going smoothly, its just a matter of whether there are any places left for my skills, so still waiting to hear on that at the moment!

Any ideas about what travelling you'll do after?!

I've already had my orientation meeting. Be warned - you have to sing :biggrin: Is yours up in Mallet Street? - leave a lot of time to find the place, it's really hard when you come out of Euston Square tube to find the place! (opposite RADA, dahling - very posh!) the meeting was really helpful though, and the guy that does it is a laugh.

That's great that your application's going smoothly. If you need any advice with your visa forms or anything, feel free to PM me :biggrin:

I don't know what travelling I'll do after - it depends how long my assignment is really. I may not have time to travel, if they keep me at camp until the last few days of Sept 'cause I have to back for the start of Oct for uni. If I've got a week or whatever, I'll just head back to New York and explore round there :biggrin: hehe.
Reply 14
red665
I've already had my orientation meeting. Be warned - you have to sing :biggrin:

lol....that's the same as last year - our group had to come up with any random song to all sing which would relate to camp america in some way! Was well fun! :biggrin:

But then....it does prepare you a teeny teeny bit for camp - be ready to sing in front of a large crowd of kids....weird American camp songs too! :confused: hehe :smile:
dobbs
lol....that's the same as last year - our group had to come up with any random song to all sing which would relate to camp america in some way! Was well fun! :biggrin:

Yep! that's what it was! lol

For some reason, the group I was in decided on 'Heads shoulders knees and toes' - including actions. I really wanted to do the 'na na na na' bit of Hey Jude but never mind lol.

Best song of the night - Is this the way to Amerillo? .... everyone loved it, so get your group doing that! lol.
Reply 16
red665
I've already had my orientation meeting. Be warned - you have to sing :biggrin: Is yours up in Mallet Street? - leave a lot of time to find the place, it's really hard when you come out of Euston Square tube to find the place! (opposite RADA, dahling - very posh!) the meeting was really helpful though, and the guy that does it is a laugh.

That's great that your application's going smoothly. If you need any advice with your visa forms or anything, feel free to PM me :biggrin:

I don't know what travelling I'll do after - it depends how long my assignment is really. I may not have time to travel, if they keep me at camp until the last few days of Sept 'cause I have to back for the start of Oct for uni. If I've got a week or whatever, I'll just head back to New York and explore round there :biggrin: hehe.

Yep, my orientation is in Mallet street, have had a brief look online at maps, but dont have a clue how I'm going to find it! Think I'll probably just end up going really really early.

As for the singing, thanks for the warning!! Is it all singing in groups? Think I can just about handle that, but not singing on my own in front of people!
Reply 17
I've been placed for this summer with camp america at a place in Rhode Island. I'm really looking forward to doing it...been so busy counting down the days that the A-level revision has sort of been forgotten.

Thanks for the heads up about the singing btw...so long as it's in groups I'll be able to handle it.
Reply 18
Answer to last two people: yep it's singing in groups

At camp, you'll be singing by yourself infront of large groups of American kids who like to giggle at your accent :biggrin:
Reply 19
dobbs
At camp, you'll be singing by yourself infront of large groups of American kids who like to giggle at your accent :biggrin:

Oh my god, they dont warn you about THAT in the brocure!

Latest