The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
reading this really makes me want to do camp america even though i have absolutely no intention of having a gap year... off to camp america's website now!
Reply 41
Im going to take part with CCUSA, going to echo hill camp, ne1 been there? someone whos been before do you recommend taking a backpack or suitcase and ne essentials we need when we get there?
bpatel13
Im going to take part with CCUSA, going to echo hill camp, ne1 been there? someone whos been before do you recommend taking a backpack or suitcase and ne essentials we need when we get there?

Regardless, I'd take a decent backpack - you can't very well lug a big suitcase around in a major city on your travels particularly easily.
Reply 43
definitely a nice big backpack - a small travel pillow might be handy (if you're travelling after). You shouldn't need much for on camp but it's the travelling after where you'd need your essentials. Take a look on Trek America's website, under 'Trek Tips' :smile:

I'm personally taking a huge backpack (with a smaller one inside that I can use whilst trekking up mountains etc after! - as I've booked up a big trek after camp) and I'm even taking a pair of hair clippers as my hair tends to resemble Ronald Mcdonald's after 3-4 weeks :biggrin:

Oooh and don't forget a universal travel plug if you're taking anything electrical
DjM2k5
definitely a nice big backpack - a small travel pillow might be handy (if you're travelling after). You shouldn't need much for on camp but it's the travelling after where you'd need your essentials. Take a look on Trek America's website, under 'Trek Tips' :smile:

I'm personally taking a huge backpack (with a smaller one inside that I can use whilst trekking up mountains etc after! - as I've booked up a big trek after camp) and I'm even taking a pair of hair clippers as my hair tends to resemble Ronald Mcdonald's after 3-4 weeks :biggrin:

Oooh and don't forget a universal travel plug if you're taking anything electrical

Huge Backback - CHECK :biggrin: - 65 Litres with all sorts of straps, side pockets. (Argos £29.99)

Sleeping Bag - CHECK :biggrin: - Blacks £29.99 - £3 (YHA Membership) = £26.99

Travel Pillow - CHECK :biggrin: - not one of those pezzy inflatable ones either.

2 Pin Plug Adaptor - CHECK :biggrin:

Travel size first aid kit - CHECK :biggrin: always useful.

Money Belt - CHECK :biggrin:

Suntan Lotion/AfterSun - CHECK :biggrin: - Superdrug BOGOF Deals.

Bug Spray (50-55 % Deet) - CHECK :biggrin: - little bugs grrrrrr.

Decent Waterproof - CHECK :biggrin: - I hear that riding the "Maid of the Mist" can get you a little wet.
Would anyone know how much money you would initially need to even consider applying for camp america.
Expression
Huge Backback - CHECK :biggrin: - 65 Litres with all sorts of straps, side pockets. (Argos £29.99)

Sleeping Bag - CHECK :biggrin: - Blacks £29.99 - £3 (YHA Membership) = £26.99

Travel Pillow - CHECK :biggrin: - not one of those pezzy inflatable ones either.

2 Pin Plug Adaptor - CHECK :biggrin:

Travel size first aid kit - CHECK :biggrin: always useful.

Money Belt - CHECK :biggrin:

Suntan Lotion/AfterSun - CHECK :biggrin: - Superdrug BOGOF Deals.

Bug Spray (50-55 % Deet) - CHECK :biggrin: - little bugs grrrrrr.

Decent Waterproof - CHECK :biggrin: - I hear that riding the "Maid of the Mist" can get you a little wet.

Still no idea of where in, or when, I'm going to America - CHECK :frown:

Edit: I have got my international driving permit (can get it for a fiver from the RAC), but is there anything else I need like that? For example, you've mentioned YHA membership - what's that, and do I need it?
London_psycho
Would anyone know how much money you would initially need to even consider applying for camp america.

If you apply early enough (The application process starts in September), the initial payment is £20 I believe. After that, you'd need about £350 for all the payments / visa fees you'll have pay.
Reply 48
You don't need much spending money whilst on camp (accomodation and all your food is catered for) but you might want to save up for after if you want to do a bit of travelling.
Reply 49
red665
is there anything else I need like that? For example, you've mentioned YHA membership - what's that, and do I need it?

Nope, that should be it really - the YHA is for youth hostels if you're planning on staying in them after. I'm signed up with Trek America (doing the Trailblazer trek) so all I have to do is turn up in New York on the day of the trek and it's all sorted :smile:

I'd seriously think about Trek America if you haven't already done so, most people say it's the highlight of their Summer (and I'm not just saying that because I'm doing it :p: ). There's a few good sites that have pictures etc if you're not sure what to expect...

http://www.bugbitten.com/photogallery/showlist.php?uuid=807&dowhat=user
http://www.jstott.me.uk/photos/2003/2003-09-03%20-%20USA/index.php

(that's just 2 - there's loads of them about :smile:)
DjM2k5
Nope, that should be it really - the YHA is for youth hostels if you're planning on staying in them after. I'm signed up with Trek America (doing the Trailblazer trek) so all I have to do is turn up in New York on the day of the trek and it's all sorted :smile:

I'd seriously think about Trek America if you haven't already done so, most people say it's the highlight of their Summer (and I'm not just saying that because I'm doing it :p: ). There's a few good sites that have pictures etc if you're not sure what to expect...

http://www.bugbitten.com/photogallery/showlist.php?uuid=807&dowhat=user
http://www.jstott.me.uk/photos/2003/2003-09-03%20-%20USA/index.php

(that's just 2 - there's loads of them about :smile:)

I might get the YHA membership then, thanks for that info!

I know, I would love to do something like Trek America, the only problem is that I don't know when I'm going, and thus don't know when I'm gonna be finishing my assignment, so I can't book anything until I know how much time I've got to travel with. It sucks really, I desperately want to know when I'm going and where!! Plus, a friend of mine has just said that he wants to travel with me post-camp - so I've gotta try and organise that too now! :rolleyes:
London_psycho

Well I went through BUNAC and I've paid:

£67 Initial Payment
£5 BUNAC Membership
£127 Compulsary Insurance
£23 SEVIS
£60 US Visa Fee
£16 Air Fuel Surcharge
========
£298
========
red665
Still no idea of where in, or when, I'm going to America - CHECK :frown:

Edit: I have got my international driving permit (can get it for a fiver from the RAC), but is there anything else I need like that? For example, you've mentioned YHA membership - what's that, and do I need it?

Awwwh unlucky, I'm sure they'll tell you eventually where you're off.

----

YHA membership is useful as it gives you access to all the American Youth Hostel Association Hostels, as the YHA here in England & Wales is a member of Hostelling International, so you don't need seperate memberships in America.

It's £10 for a year's membership for people Under 26.
Reply 53
I still havent got any idea where I'm going (or even if I'm going at all for definate)!

I had my orientation day yesterday and we had a talk from a guy at trek america....it looks AMAZING. I definately want to go on at least one of their tours, even though they're expensive, it seems well worth it. Trouble is I cant book anything yet as I dont know when / if I'm going for certain. But for those of you who are going, I'd say go for it!
Reply 54
I had the same talk yesterday...really made me think about doing trek america after camp, but it seems very expensive, anybody already done one and would recommend it? Also, does anybody know whether it's true you have to pay extra for food/any nights in a hotel? Because I heard that somewhere and it might put me off
Reply 55
Hi Emma,
yep, everyone contributes to a food kitty ($7 a day - roughly about £3.50) and for hotel stops it's about $39 a night (it's not very often they stay at hotels though, my one only has 9 hotel nights out of 64 days). Have a peek at a few of the links above to read about people's experiences (check out all the photos - ooooooooooooohhhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh :smile:)
Reply 56
Have to admit it's all very very tempting...even just for one of the 7 day treks...guess I'll just have to go and have a chat to the parents and see if they'll put up the money as an early christmas pressie or something

*puts on her butter wouldn't melt look* Daaaddddyyy :wink:
Reply 57
Just out of interest...don't suppose anybody is going to Camp Birchmont in New Hampshire, or even any camp in New Hampshire?
Reply 58
I am going to Camp Summit (NY) is anyone else? Leave on the 11th June...exactly 3 weeks, I am so excited! I have always wanted to do this, so hope it turns out to be as good as expecting! Which camps are you all going to?
Reply 59
awwww i wish i was doing that, i applied for it, but when got my forms to fill out , i didnt continue with it cos i thought id never get accepted on it, but really regret it now, wish i was going to do it now though. now i face a long and boring summer stuck at home !! :frown:

Latest