The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Melting Sugar.
I guess if you go to school there's a risk of you infecting everyone else with it..

:rolleyes:

True....but I can't just not go! :eek:
I don't know what to do for the best...
Also pretty worried about what to do regarding the blood I donated....
Reply 21
xmarilynx
Thank you :smile:

nothing worse than seeing someone ill
mayun i coughed so much before i choked on my cough sweet which made me cough even more.....
good times
xmarilynx
True....but I can't just not go! :eek:
I don't know what to do for the best...
Also pretty worried about what to do regarding the blood I donated....

How many lessons do you have tomorrow? Is there any chance that you could miss school getting notes off other people and go to your GP? Also whilst you're there you could ask about the blood you donated.
Reply 23
Coughing up blood, does that mean you could have TB ?
Moabubaker
Coughing up blood, does that mean you could have TB ?

I'd heard that.. but there are probably a lot of other things it could be.

Either way, I suggest she goes to the GP asap!
Phone nhs direct :frown:
Reply 26
Thanks for the help everyone - and the rep redsocks, definitely cheered me up :smile:
I'm going to stick it out for tonight and if it hasn't got any better tomorrow I'll try and go to the docs in a free period or lunch break.
Reply 27
Were you recently in Mexico?!?!

STAY AWAY!!!

no seriously, hope you get better
Reply 28
Erm *cough* sine flu...hospital, now! Blood?= Hospital

hypercondriac is me.
Reply 29
Melting Sugar.
I'd heard that.. but there are probably a lot of other things it could be.

Either way, I suggest she goes to the GP asap!

TB is pretty unlikely really - so many people have TB jabs nowadays, and even if the OP hasn't had that, unless she's been in touch with someone who's carrying or has been to a hotsport area (mostly in poorer regions of London, iirc) it's incredibly unlikely she's picked that up. If she's actually coughing up proper blood (not even like traces in phlegm) then it's more likely to be something more serious.

If you cough a lot, and it's a dry cough, you can tear your oesophagus, which is aggravated further if you're sick by the acid. I've coughed so much before that I've started gagging and been sick - it's horrible. Best bet, as others have said, is to go to your GP.
swine flu:woo:
Reply 31
xmarilynx
I've had a pretty bad cough for a few days, but today it seems to have got worse and I'm now coughing up blood/sick (attractive thought, I know).

I've been into school today and there's no way I can miss any because it's exam time. How can I get rid of it asap? I have my french oral on thursday! :mad:

Also, I gave blood a few days ago, should I ring them up and tell them to trash it? They said something about if you get anything other than a cold to ring them and tell them, but I don't know if just a cough/sore throat would make me sound like a bit of a hypochondriac.

you really need to go to the doctors :smile:
if you dont go you may be even more ill when the exams are atually on (im assuming you havent actually started the exams yet??XD)
and actually missing school at this moment in time isnt that bad because all you really do in school now is revision, which can easily be done at the comfort of your home :biggrin:
Reply 32
In terms of yourself, go to the GP first thing tomorrow or see some kind of doctor ASAP - coughing up blood is never, ever good (not only does it mean you have cuts somewhere in your airways, you could develop horrible things like infections or pleurisy or something) so if it continues rush yourself to A&E.

Don't worry about the exams - if it's nothing serious you will have missed a few lessons tops. If it is something serious you can claim extra marks back and your healt is far more important than your exams!

As for your blood, you have GOT to phone up the blood people and tell them your problem - coughing lots is more than a "minor cold" and so your blood could seriously infect someone else, particularly if their immune system is down already. And even if the doctor says it's nothing, at least you didn't expose anyone to anything. Much rather a pint of blood wasted than a life.
Reply 33
aeiou81
In terms of yourself, go to the GP first thing tomorrow or see some kind of doctor ASAP - coughing up blood is never, ever good (not only does it mean you have cuts somewhere in your airways, you could develop horrible things like infections or pleurisy or something) so if it continues rush yourself to A&E.

Don't worry about the exams - if it's nothing serious you will have missed a few lessons tops. If it is something serious you can claim extra marks back and your healt is far more important than your exams!

As for your blood, you have GOT to phone up the blood people and tell them your problem - coughing lots is more than a "minor cold" and so your blood could seriously infect someone else, particularly if their immune system is down already. And even if the doctor says it's nothing, at least you didn't expose anyone to anything. Much rather a pint of blood wasted than a life.

None of those sound very fun, I think I will give my GP a visit.
I'm really panicking about my exams and am starting to feel like I need all the help/lesson time I can get, but I don't think I'll do very well in my exams when I'm like this anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to go in a free/lunch break or something.
I know, I have a phobia of needles but I made myself do it because I know blood saves lives and blood banks are lower than ever atm. Obviously I can't just let them keep it and potentially kill someone (if they're ill anyway they probably won't be able to fight off whatever this is). It's just that now I know it was for nothing and they're just going to have to chuck it away. :bawling: *drowns in self-pity*
Anyway, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 34
Tishy
you really need to go to the doctors :smile:
if you dont go you may be even more ill when the exams are atually on (im assuming you havent actually started the exams yet??XD)
and actually missing school at this moment in time isnt that bad because all you really do in school now is revision, which can easily be done at the comfort of your home :biggrin:

Not yet, my first one's Thursday :eek3:
That's a good point, I was hoping to be able to stick it out until friday when I go on study leave, but if it gets any worse I don't think I'll be able to!
Thanks for posting :smile:
You could always ring up NHS Direct asap..
Reply 36
xmarilynx
None of those sound very fun, I think I will give my GP a visit.
I'm really panicking about my exams and am starting to feel like I need all the help/lesson time I can get, but I don't think I'll do very well in my exams when I'm like this anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to go in a free/lunch break or something.
I know, I have a phobia of needles but I made myself do it because I know blood saves lives and blood banks are lower than ever atm. Obviously I can't just let them keep it and potentially kill someone (if they're ill anyway they probably won't be able to fight off whatever this is). It's just that now I know it was for nothing and they're just going to have to chuck it away. :bawling: *drowns in self-pity*
Anyway, thanks for your help :smile:

Hahaha sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!! My boyfriend has had a few lung problems recently (not coughing up blood though) and I can tell you, it has not been a fun ride for either of us. Better to be safe than sorry! And I'm sure teachers will understand; perhaps they can help you after school? Or you can book an appointment before or after school or, like you said, in a free/lunch?
Firstly congratulations for giving blood with a phobia of needles! Feel proud :yep: I have no phobia but when I gave for the first time (two weeks ago) I was terrified! I know it's not ideal to have your blood thrown away but I don't know how things work, you might be able to ask them to hold it until your GP diagnoses what it is. And there's always next time :wink: :p: Even if you never give again, you can keep the pride and the knowledge that you were willing to challenge your fear to potentially save someone's life!

Latest