The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Joshworkinghard
Well? What: books are you reading, magazines subscribing to, work experience dong, practice interviews arranging, extra curricular activities attending. And all the rest. Prospective under grads, under grads and grads are all welcome to post so please do...... :smile:

I did nothing yet I got places for law at derby and sandwich law at nottingham trent. I never had interviews either! I am currently doing an access to social science course and got conditionals for both the above. I have done an ILEX Level 2 course before and I was hoping to join the local 'youth offending panel' but i cant now unfortunately.

However, I am now joining citizens advice - but the uni's dont know that cause i had offers since xmas and am just in process of joining citizens advice now!
Reply 2
ILEX 2? So you do have a sound understanding of a few areas then? Quite a few of my work mates are doing the ILEX course
Reply 3
Misbah! Will you kindly come back :frown:
Reply 4
Yeh ILEX Level 2 vocational legal studies - it was only a one year course i did a few years ago. It was all coursework - pretty easy - got distinction
By being on here you are not working hard (trust me I would know), so the best thing you can do is GET GOOD GRADES BY WORKING HARD!

alternatively...

'Understamding the law' by G. rivlin (OUP) is the best book out there to read.

I did work experience at a high street firm and a barristers' chambers in London.

DO NOT pay 40 quid for an interview practice session. If the school offers free ones accept those. My school offered both, but I only chose the latter. I will post some interview tips, around september/october, on the "Help for candidates 05/06 thread."

As for extra-curricular activities...I was a member oif my school's BAR mock trail team, I was my form' debating captain (i.e. I opened a debate for our form, in its only ever debate :p:) and I atteded politics/law conferences in London. I also showed I was normal and interesting: i have represented the school at football, i play the guitar, attend concerts and have an interest in current affairs.

The aforementioned help thread (half way down the first page at the timeof writing) may also be useful!
Reply 6
Do things that are a little different. Law is competitive and chances are the vast majority will have read the right books, (or say they have?! A guy at Oxford Interviews was frantically reading a book he's said he'd read, but hadn't.) Similarly, most will have some form of Work Ex, everyone will've been a Prefect/Head Boy/Girl/Animal...

D xxx
How did you find out about law conferences?
read stuff-

learning the law, by glanville williams is a classic but damn boring.
develop an interest in one specific area of the law? i did this for Jurisprudence ("law's empire" by Ronald Dworkin) and it was picked up on in a cambridge interview.
Reply 9
Advice no.2) If you get called for any Interviews... Don't wear pink and talk about Disney films...
Joshworkinghard
work experience dong

lol, im sure you dont mean what this says.
Reply 11
Ha ha! Genius!
Woopsie Daisy!!!!!!! Work experience doIng
LOL! I really am! *Underhand dig at people who murder "LOL" by using mindlessly*
Joshworkinghard
How did you find out about law conferences?

through my school. westminster conference centre do lots if you live in London. Jon Snow chaired and David Milliband and Evan Davies (economics commentator for the BBC) talked at a politics one I went to!

Incidentally, I wasnt a headboy or prefect! I was made a prefect, but had it taken away from me before any duties started, due to a misdemeanor involving school telephones.
Reply 15
Phonicsdude

Incidentally, I wasnt a headboy or prefect! I was made a prefect, but had it taken away from me before any duties started, due to a misdemeanor involving school telephones.

Do share... x
Erm...wellllll!

A friend and I used to go into the careers office at lunch (with the teacher's consent) to go on the computer in there. One day he had the bright idea of phoning up pizza hut and ordering 50 pizzas. He convinced me to do it.

So i did.

And the pizza guy refused to leave until the school had paid for the first 15!

The funny thing is, the guy at the pizza place didnt catch on that it was a prank.
The second funny thing is that the office was handing out free pizzas that lunch time! All of my friends got free large pepperroni (spelt awfully) that day!

The not so funny thing is they threatened o get the police on us!
Reply 17
Little tip for you...

In my personal statement I included that I have Gold and Silver awards from the British Schools Athletics Association in 100m and Long Jump.

This is true, but it was in year seven - roughly around six years before my personal statement materialised.

It's fair to say I was pretty taken aback when the first question I was asked in my first Cambridge interview was (after a brief 'hello, sit down) '100m or long jump?'

My face went this colour - :mad: - while I tried to look - :cool: - lol.

I actually came up with a pretty damn good answer, but I would only include things in your personal statement that are recent!
Reply 18
My law application was fairly average compared to most of the applicants on TSR!

But one thing my interviewer asked me, was about my duties within the sixth form leadership team as i mentioned it in my personal statement. Although i had to tell him i quit for various reasons, but he seemed impressed for the reasons why i quit. (I quit after my application had been sent off.)

Then came the 2nd part of the interview which i cocked up, but i won't venture into this area. :smile:
I never read anything related to law...but I jsut put my tennis awards which kinda showed I was sporty :s: but other than that, I usually dont waste my time with law books :s:

Latest

Trending

Trending