The Student Room Group

Hello, Reading List, Getting 2nd Hand Books

Hi everyone, it's been a while...

Anyhoo, got my dandy reading list from Cam a couple of days ago. (Bit pompous of them to assume they were first choice before I actually accepted them, but oh well :p: )

I was basically wondering, which maths books am I going to need? I've done Higher Maths (bit like AS I suppose), but I'll probably be doing the maths course that is for people who've done GCSE maths.
The list for maths is thus:

g stephenson, maths methods for science students
r courant, intro to calculus and analysis
m moroney, facts from figures
k riley, maths methods for Physical Sciences
gb thomas, calc and analytical geometry.

I won't be taking the maths module cus I haven't done good old a level (though I plan to do a bit over the summer), so I'll be doing the quantitative bio (that's what's its called right?) thingy. So will I need any of these books for that?

Bit long winded, sorry.

Oh yeah, is there some scheme where you can maybe buy old books off of grads or somesuch? Those books don't look cheap....

Thanks. Waves to everyone.
Reply 1
i found it wasnt worth buying any books until you got here and settled in. You'll discover that there will probably be one book you really find useful and that will be worth buying. But because I'm not doing quantative biology, I cant say what book to use. For everyone on the main maths courses though, it's RHB all the way!
QB is for biologists with A level Maths I think. There's an Elementary Maths for Biologists course as well, for those who haven't. If you do a bit of reading up on the other A-level things over the summer, you could probably take either depending on how far you want to take the maths.
I don't know which textbook you'll need for those, but it won't be RHB I don't think. There'll be one which covers only the things you need (and better) for ~1/2 the price or something.

I think Will is right though- its probably not necessary to get one until you're here. But if you're really keen... I don't know if you can access the newsgroup from outside the Cam domain, but if you can, keep an eye on these adverts postings in case something comes up after the exams.
Hmm ok, but on the reading list I received it said that I should read the books from the modules I want to take before coming up on october. Ah well.

So when (and where) did you people get your books? I think I will have to read at least some before I get to Cambridge.
Reply 4
Ask Crana9 about it, she does QB. Word of advice, it's more exciting and useful to do proper NatSci maths.
Reply 5
what if you haven't a clue what modules you want to do?
Reply 6
JHutcher
what if you haven't a clue what modules you want to do?

go for the easiest option in that case. e.g., if you are a NatSci/CompSci, leave physics ALONE!!! Take Geology instead.
Reply 7
I meant more generally... how and when do you decide which modules to take.
Reply 8
during freshers' week. Which is a good thing, because you know most people will make the wrong choices due to alcohol induced problems. Stay away from alcohol the night before you need to meet your DoS. And... CompScis don't actually have a choice on the Computer Science modules, we do whatever that's thrown at us.
Reply 9
Is first year Physics really that hard?
I was actually thinking about taking Physics, Chem, Maths and Materials/Mineral Sciences.hmmmm....

Camford
go for the easiest option in that case. e.g., if you are a NatSci/CompSci, leave physics ALONE!!! Take Geology instead.
Not doing Physics will probably limit your second year options quite dramatically if you do want to continue physical sciences. In the end, you won't be able to avoid difficult subjects - so do what you want to learn about.

Latest

Trending

Trending