The Student Room Group

Why are Americans obsessed with getting their kids circumcised?

I was talking to an American on MSN, and god knows how we got onto it, but I mentioned that kids in the UK (and I'm guessing Europe as a whole) don't get circumsised, and the practice is only associated with Jews, and it is pretty much unheard of for any other group to be circumsised.

He seemed really quite suprised by this, and seemed to imply that circumcision in the US is the norm.

Why is this? Is it thought to have any advantages from a medical point of view? Is it something to do with the influence of Jewish culture in the US?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
McDonalds need all the skins to make burgers.
It's just cultural. They do it because everyone else does. I think it's bizarre and wrong.
Reply 3
There's a lot of Jews in America, they must be running some kind of subliminal trickery to convert everyone, starting with the foreskins coming off, its a conspiracy.
Lol, what a funny thread.
I just think it must hurrtttt!
Reply 5
alice.eleanor.x
Lol, what a funny thread.
I just think it must hurrtttt!

Not so much of an issue when you're a baby and will therefore never remember feeling it.
Reply 6
I think there's some imaginary health benefits.
Reply 7
do they?
its news to me, circumsition is just a religious thing not cultural ^_^
oh and what aboutt muslim too?
Simple. They like it short. Much shorter.

And we like it wiggly long.
Apparently it can reduce the risk of you catching HIV :dontknow:
Reply 10
edited - thanks acalia.
they're big tippers.
Reply 12
burninginme
I was talking to an American on MSN, and god knows how we got onto it, but I mentioned that kids in the UK (and I'm guessing Europe as a whole) don't get circumsised, and the practice is only associated with Jews, and it is pretty much unheard of for any other group to be circumsised.

He seemed really quite suprised by this, and seemed to imply that circumcision in the US is the norm.

Why is this? Is it thought to have any advantages from a medical point of view? Is it something to do with the influence of Jewish culture in the US?

Thanks

Possibly the Jewish influence; remember that America was seen as a new 'Promised Land' when it was first discovered - they even came close to making the official language Hebrew, when first became a country in its own right.

But I think it's just because it's cleaner and easier. All the males in our family have been circumcised, because of this and because we all develop an ilness that means that retaining our foreskins would be very painful, to say the least.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Not so much of an issue when you're a baby and will therefore never remember feeling it.

Still though, poor baby :frown:
its clean.
Reply 15
My male cousins have been circumcised, as have my uncles, I think... and my family are neither Jewish nor American.
According to my mum it just makes things 'cleaner'.
Common practice for males in our culture, I think!
Reply 16
its americans why are you surprised the **** going on in there country im not that surprised
Reply 17
it used to be the norm in the UK as well. It was thought to reduce masturbation and we introduced the practice to America.
Now they think foreskins are gross and lead to unclean penises because they're so hard to clean intact, they also think its highly likely you'll develop an infection if you don't remove it so will end up having to remove it as an adult anyway.

Its a really horrible practice, they do it on newborn babies without anaesthetic :frown:
NW8_SW1_EC3

Mhm.. so it's not an issue to do anything to a baby then? It'd be just fine to mutilate, assault or abuse a baby in any way you see fit cos it won't remember?
Reply 19
watched a program on this

the parents have to pay a tax on this or somethin when the doctor does the snip

earns the american goverment millions if not billions

so to brake it down the americans get part of their penis mutilated, to provide a nice little income for the american government

Latest

Trending

Trending