The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
kamc
How is it not cruel? You are removing a body part that has a lot of nerve endings. Its an irreversible operation, you are denying the person the right to remain intact, which they may regret when they are older.

It's a bit of slight pain and that's it. The child won't remember it, and I don't see the problem at all.

As for being irreversible, well, c'est la vie. Like I say, I hardly think it's important to anyone.

And medical grounds? Helps protect against HIV and some sexually transmitted diseases? So does using a condom and not sleeping around. Or are you referring to prevention of rare diseases that you are highly unlikely to develop anyway?

Yes, I am referring to the latter, and also as a treatment to prevent problems with the foreskin. They are legitimate, if admittedly rare, medical grounds for circumcision.
Reply 61
I never knew this was the case
Muslims do it too.
Reply 63
Medievalist
Also it is not disgusting or cruel. I am not traumatized from the experience. I dont remember it at all.

You'd be perfectly happy if they cut off both your lil toes? you wouldnt remember it and it wouldnt mae much difference...

Billions of humans have suvived without this surgery. It really is totally unnessesary. All of the 'benefits' can be gained through other, non-permenant and non-irreversable methods.
eeriikaa
My male cousins have been circumcised, as have my uncles, I think... and my family are neither Jewish nor American.
According to my mum it just makes things 'cleaner'.
Common practice for males in our culture, I think!

We clearly need to talk about this in person.
:whip:

I think there might be a couple of health benefits, mostly for women, through circumcision, but these are blown out of proportion by US "experts". I'd imagine the gradual but continual desensatisation in men would be my chief concern.
Reply 65
America is a big place!
Circumcision being the norm where that guy lives might be true for his state/area only?
dzeh
watched a program on this

the parents have to pay a tax on this or somethin when the doctor does the snip

earns the american goverment millions if not billions

so to brake it down the americans get part of their penis mutilated, to provide a nice little income for the american government

That's probably the stupidest thing I have ever read. Seriously. Ever. You should be ashamed for thinking that was true for even a nanosecond.

Do you also think bunnies are plotting on taking over the world?
Reue
You'd be perfectly happy if they cut off both your lil toes? you wouldnt remember it and it wouldnt mae much difference...

Billions of humans have suvived without this surgery. It really is totally unnessesary. All of the 'benefits' can be gained through other, non-permenant and non-irreversable methods.

You can not possibly be serious? Please tell me you are not, I like to believe most people to be more intelligent than that comment... you are comparing apples to ******* kiwis or coconuts with that one there.

They are clipping off a little piece of skin, not sawing off ******* bone for Christ's sake. Would you compare getting your ear pierced to having a digit cut off? Of course not, yet there is still that hole in the ear that will not grow back. Circumcision is as much mutilation as getting a pierced ear.

Really I'm baffled at that comparison... I just... I don't even know what to say to that, it is just utterly ridiculous...

As far as America being a big place yes it is, but I have lived everywhere from California to New York and Florida... it is a cultural norm throughout the entire United States... which of course does not mean everyone does, it, it just means that it is a rarity not to have it done. It is no biggy here if someone does not have it done, it is just a bit out of the normal.
Reply 68
burninginme
I was talking to an American on MSN, and god knows how we got onto it, but I mentioned that kids in the UK (and I'm guessing Europe as a whole) don't get circumsised, and the practice is only associated with Jews, and it is pretty much unheard of for any other group to be circumsised.

From what I've seen in the gym, it's not that unusual here.
Reply 69
An American friend once told me:

"My child will be circumcised. There may or may not be health benefits. There may or may not be sexual pleasure benefits or sexual health benefits. All I know is my child will experience his worst pain in life at a time he cannot remember, and that's good enough for me"
Reply 70
I thought that was islamic people !!
All the Americans I've spoken with seem to think it has some sort of health benefits.
Swi1ch
An American friend once told me:

"My child will be circumcised. There may or may not be health benefits. There may or may not be sexual pleasure benefits or sexual health benefits. All I know is my child will experience his worst pain in life at a time he cannot remember, and that's good enough for me"

Huh, there are real benefits to circumcision...
WaffleBakingStar
Huh, there are real benefits to circumcision...

No there are not.
Reply 74
Lord_Farquad
No there are not.

There is one definite benefit.

If you're circumcised as a baby, then when you're older you're not going to have the risk of getting circumcised for medical reasons, and therefore never really experience the pain.
Swi1ch
There is one definite benefit.

If you're circumcised as a baby, then when you're older you're not going to have the risk of getting circumcised for medical reasons, and therefore never really experience the pain.

May as well get your feet cut off then. You know, just in case a car runs them over when your older.
Lord_Farquad
No there are not.

Easier to clean your penis, that's for one.

Plus a lot of infections and viruses can hide there ...
Reply 77
CHAMON
Used to be about cleaning, and prevent HIV. then they found out it's does **** all for the former. It's was then about status.

As for cleaner, that's a load of ****. forskin is there for a purpose just like eyelashes are. Dumbos

Trust Chamon to make up another "fact". Most Americans were getting circumcised by the 1940s. Last I checked, HIV did not exist back then.
Get circumcised is a strong Islamic tradition. So I believe Jews and Christians follow it too. It mainly has health and hygiene benefits.
Reply 79
Medievalist
Would you compare getting your ear pierced to having a digit cut off? Of course not, yet there is still that hole in the ear that will not grow back. Circumcision is as much mutilation as getting a pierced ear.

You're a complete fool. Peircings do indeed grow over and heal themselves if the peircing is removed thus ruining your frantic and ineffective attempts at an arguement.

Latest

Trending

Trending