The Student Room Group

This makes your life seem so much better when you're feeling down

From the website for texas death row.

Recently executed offenders including their ''last words'' (url under third collumn from left) and information about them http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Scheduled executions. One of them is going to be fryed whilst me and my gf are on holiday in puerto banús. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/scheduledexecutions.htm

Are you doing anything awesome whilst these guys are being killed?

The chosen few http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/offendersondrow.htm

More info http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/deathrow.htm

It's a very strange web page. It's very interesting though. Really puts things into perspective. Also, does it change your opinion on capital punishment....seeing these people as individuals rather than just numbers?

Scroll to see replies

God that's depressing.
Reply 2
There's a huge race thing going on there.
there's also a gender thing going on.
Reply 4
Farmboy_Pip
there's also a gender thing going on.

Indeed.

Can women not be executed?
Tufts
Indeed.

I hear it's another form of discrimination against women. :sadnod:
I feel more depressed now than ever before...
Reply 7
olegirona
From the website for texas death row.

Recently executed offenders including their ''last words'' (url under third collumn from left) and information about them http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Scheduled executions. One of them is going to be fryed whilst me and my gf are on holiday in puerto banús. http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/scheduledexecutions.htm

Are you doing anything awesome whilst these guys are being killed?

The chosen few http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/offendersondrow.htm

More info http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/deathrow.htm

It's a very strange web page. It's very interesting though. Really puts things into perspective. Also, does it change your opinion on capital punishment....seeing these people as individuals rather than just numbers?

'On October 11, 1997, Salazar murdered a 28-year-old hispanic female. Salazar crawled through a front window of a private residence. He tried to sexually assault the victim when she woke up. Salazar then stabbed her multiple times in the chest when her 10-year-old son heard her screaming. The victim's son rushed to his mother's aid and was stabbed one time in the chest. Her son was able to get up and run to a neighbor's house and call the police. When they returned to the home, they found the victim unresponsive on the bedroom floor with multiple stab wounds to her chest area. A kitchen knife was lying on the floor by her head. The victim's 2-year-old daughter and 4-month-old baby were also in the bed with her.'

It's hard to feel sympathy reading many of these convictions...

why would anyone feel depressed reading these? Its hardly murder of the innocent.
Reply 8
Tufts
Indeed.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/womenondrow.htm
Tufts
Indeed.

i found two women, one killed a couple with a pickaxe, the other shot her two of her husbands for the insurance..

it's pretty sad that they're last statments are there. :frown:
Reply 10
Gosh.

I love reading about criminals, I find it very interesting. I'm going to be on here all day now. Some of the crimes are really horrific, though :frown:

Also, there are a few women on the death row page, obviously hardly any compared to the amount of men on there, but women do generally commit a lot less death row-worthy crimes so it does make sense...

I'm not sure about this site making me feel better when I'm down though, haha.
It's quite shocking just how many of the prisoners are Black or Hispanic. Also why is their race specified anyway? It's not like it's needed.

I didn't think that the system would be quite so racist, maybe I'm just naive.
Ugh these are so disgusting. Really does show women are just as awful as men.

Name
Basso, Suzanne Margaret

Summary of incident
On 08/26/1998, Basso and co-defendants kidnapped a 59-year old retarded white male and intentionally caused his death by beating him with belts, baseball bats, steel-toed boots, hands, and feet. Basso was the leader of the group and encouraged all the co-defendants to abuse the victim. The murder was committed for proceeds from an insurance policy on the victim (in which Basso was named the beneficiary) as well as other assets in which Basso was named heir. Basso had wooed the victim into leaving his family and friends in New Jersey and moving to Texas, under the guise that she would marry him. The victim was found in a ditch with injuries so horrendous that the body was unrecognizable.
Reply 13
*Lola_Stars*
I feel more depressed now than ever before...

was gonna say the same,
the best part of this thread is you, hotttttt
Reply 14
rosieee91
Ugh these are so disgusting. Really does show women are just as awful as men.

Name
Basso, Suzanne Margaret

Summary of incident
On 08/26/1998, Basso and co-defendants kidnapped a 59-year old retarded white male and intentionally caused his death by beating him with belts, baseball bats, steel-toed boots, hands, and feet. Basso was the leader of the group and encouraged all the co-defendants to abuse the victim. The murder was committed for proceeds from an insurance policy on the victim (in which Basso was named the beneficiary) as well as other assets in which Basso was named heir. Basso had wooed the victim into leaving his family and friends in New Jersey and moving to Texas, under the guise that she would marry him. The victim was found in a ditch with injuries so horrendous that the body was unrecognizable.

I read that one, it's pretty shocking. People use incidents such as this to justify the death penalty as they are so horrific, but I think life imprisonment is a much harsher punishment. She must feel some remorse after doing that, seriously.
Reply 15
If they kill someone they are going to be executed.

Death row isn't racist. :awesome:
Reply 16
Morbid!!
mimimimi
I read that one, it's pretty shocking. People use incidents such as this to justify the death penalty as they are so horrific, but I think life imprisonment is a much harsher punishment. She must feel some remorse after doing that, seriously.

I really wouldn't know! I always get so caught up in debates about the death penalty. Reading their last words is like "christ, they were real people with wives/husbands and children" but then you read what they did and it's like "argh what kind of a person could do that to someone?" in my opinion it's a catch 22 that i can't decide on!
Reply 18
rosieee91
I really wouldn't know! I always get so caught up in debates about the death penalty. Reading their last words is like "christ, they were real people with wives/husbands and children" but then you read what they did and it's like "argh what kind of a person could do that to someone?" in my opinion it's a catch 22 that i can't decide on!

Yes, there's no doubt they are real people with families and friends, but I know the things they've done are terrible. I just think life imprisonment is a much worse penalty then death, because they have to think about what they've done for the rest of their lives, and eventually die in prison, having achieved very little.

If you look at the page of people who were taken off of death row, most of them were sentenced to 'life' or 99 years in prison. I think they'll feel worse about that, and most of them will never get out.

The death penalty is immoral in my opinion, I can't stop thinking about the people who are actually found to be innocent once they've been killed by the system. It's unnecessary killing, and a 'get out' for guilty criminals who won't have to think about what they've done any longer.
Reply 19
Thanks...actually I'm even more depressed now.
Although I do find criminal stories intersting...
Read this last statement from Henry Porter (hispanic)

"I want to thank Father Walsh for his spiritual help. I want to thank Bob Ray (Sanders) and Steve Blow for their friendship. What I want people to know is that they call me a cold-blooded killer when I shot a man that shot me first. The only thing that convicted me was that I am a Mexican and that he was a police officer. People hollered for my life, and they are to have my life tonight. The people never hollered for the life of the policeman that killed a thirteen-year-old boy who was handcuffed in the back seat of a police car. The people never hollered for the life of a Houston police officer who beat up and drowned Jose Campo Torres and threw his body in the river. You call that equal justice. This is your equal justice. This is America’s equal justice. A Mexican’s life is worth nothing. When a policeman kills someone he gets a suspended sentence or probation. When a Mexican kills a police officer this is what you get. From there you call me a cold-blooded murderer. I didn’t tie anyone to a stretcher. I didn’t pump any poison into anybody’s veins from behind a locked door. You call this justice. I call this and your society a bunch of cold-blooded murderers. I don’t say this with any bitterness or anger. I just say this with truthfulness. I hope God forgives me for all my sins. I hope that God will be as merciful to society as he has been to me. I’m ready, Warden."

Speak of race and justice issues....
:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending