The Student Room Group

Graphic Design Salford or Lincoln?

Hi All,

Im stuck for choice, been to both places and both are excellent. Facilities are good, teaching staff are great.

My thoughts on location is whats bothering me:

I love Manchester as a city, always something going on, loads of my fav bands play there. Only problem when I visited Salford, it seems like a trek away from Manchester!

Also the student community isnt as tight as some places ive been.

I went to lincoln, and again the place is nice, not busy like Manchester, walked around very safe, and all the students are together seems compact which is good. Only problem with this, nothing seems to happen there apart from a decent nightlife. As a city the music scene seems dead, shopping doesn't look all that great.

Im stuck I like both, just both things have con's, its doing my head in.

Any help would be great.
Reply 1
Hey, I'm going to Salford in Sept to study Graphic Design but it's a HND then I will go onto the degree course thier, Can't wait tbh, my best mate is going aswell he's doing animation were gonna have a blast. You will get bored of Lincoln after 6 months
Reply 2
From my minimal understanding (based upon hearsay), I have heard that graphic design at Salford is meant to be very good (has consistently won many notable awards, including the D&AD), whereas I can't say the same for Lincoln. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Your not at Cleveland college of art and design atm are you? lol
Reply 4
Nah I aint lol I work for BT, and had enough, im 21, was going to but want to get out of the boro
Reply 5
I would personally say Salford, especially with all that's happening with mediacity:uk at the quays with the art & media faculties moving in in the next few years. Plus there seems to be a lot of exciting work coming out of the course.

Lincoln again has a very good course, and seems like a few good bands play at the union, but is probably a lot quieter compared to Manchester/Salford (haven't personally been to Lincoln)

I think another thing is to do with the number of agencies for placements. Although you could try for placements anywhere, typically London, there's quite a few really good agencies in Manchester which would save yourself from trying to find another place to live for a few weeks.

Hope any of this helps.
Reply 6
Lincoln's a great place but it aint a great Uni. They're a bit crap at handling their students.

Have you had an interview? A few of the people at our college on my course are going there but only cos it's nearest.

Our tutors have always seen it as an insurance place, not great but guaranteed to get in.

Go for Salford.

Latest